Verizon begins sending customers early upgrade promotions

pipboy

Reaction score
Could someone who actually received the text message copy and paste it here?

beeray

Reaction score
I was able to get an early upgrade by just calling the 800# that was posted. They were very quick to let me upgrade.

Beeray

jmims

Reaction score
Could someone who actually received the text message copy and paste it here?

I think it was just a video message, which was posted in this thread. Crazy how some people are having such a difficult time. I guess someone over there at Verizon was watching the forums and saw that people were trying to cheat the system.

bhayes444

Reaction score
yeah I got one of these mailers last weekend (7/24 or so). I have a blackberry storm 1 with the old $175 ETF (so maybe they thought I was one of the high-risk customers). And my contract doesn't even end until September 2011 so I don't know what to say.

pipboy

Reaction score
Yea call me crazy but I called 15 times and no dice. I'm just gonna stick to my droid (not that its bad in any way at all) and wait for a 2 ghz LTE phone

pilot25

Reaction score
I got the Droid1 Nov. 6 and I got one in the mail. Tossed it.

When Droid1 can't get the same software as the latest and greatest I'll upgrade. For now there is little difference and not worth the coin.

montyboy

Reaction score
Dude, since theyre not the government, and motorola just HAPPENS to be a private company, they dont even have to look at the petition. government does, because thats in the consitituion. But private companies dont fall under that. so your petition is useless, and spam. You could have a million signatures and they wouldnt have to do anything at all. To reiterate, THERE IS NOTHING LEGALLY USEFULL ABOUT A PETITION AGAINST A PRIVATE COMPANY.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There is still something useful that could come from this petition - and that's hard numbers. It would be nice to have something that could be used to determine what percentage of the Moto market is interested in modding and unlocked bootloaders. Then when they release some retarded press statement, they can actually have real numbers to back up their horrible decisions.

R

RETG

What percentage of Android users do you think actually root their devices?

Two problems I see.
1. The number of people who are on this site compared to the actual number of Android device owners is probably very low. And of that number, how many just come and surf looking for the problem they are having with thier device or just gleening information on what apps to obtain.

2. The actual number of people who actually root their devices who would actually sign a petition.

Not all, will sign. Therefore, you could end up sending a petition that would show a number so small when compared to the actual number of sold units that the company might just have a good laugh.

Then when the publish a report (they probably will never publish a report of a petition), but if they do, no one who signed the petition will believe the figures given by the company anyway.

As someone else stated, if rooting was allowed, how would technical assistance handle the situation when someone called with a problem with their rooted phone? This could cause the company more problems than losing a few hundred android owners. Imagine the extreme number of scenarios there are with a stock phone, but with a rooted phone, how could technical assistance be trained to help all who call.

I can give you an example from the car industry. I have a friend who was a field service engineer for GM. If he went out to a dealer on a troubled vehicle and discovered the PCM or the BCM had been reprogrammed with an aftermarket device, he walked away. The program in the stock computers was hard enough to deal with, but having a non-authorized program caused problems he could not diagnose. He had no idea what the program was supposed to do, how it affected other areas of the vehicle, etc. So again, how does a company keep their tech people up to date with all the different roots and apps out there?

Just my thoughts....

montyboy

Reaction score
What percentage of Android users do you think actually root their devices?

Two problems I see.
1. The number of people who are on this site compared to the actual number of Android device owners is probably very low. And of that number, how many just come and surf looking for the problem they are having with thier device or just gleening information on what apps to obtain.

2. The actual number of people who actually root their devices who would actually sign a petition.

Not all, will sign. Therefore, you could end up sending a petition that would show a number so small when compared to the actual number of sold units that the company might just have a good laugh.

Then when the publish a report (they probably will never publish a report of a petition), but if they do, no one who signed the petition will believe the figures given by the company anyway.

As someone else stated, if rooting was allowed, how would technical assistance handle the situation when someone called with a problem with their rooted phone? This could cause the company more problems than losing a few hundred android owners. Imagine the extreme number of scenarios there are with a stock phone, but with a rooted phone, how could technical assistance be trained to help all who call.

I can give you an example from the car industry. I have a friend who was a field service engineer for GM. If he went out to a dealer on a troubled vehicle and discovered the PCM or the BCM had been reprogrammed with an aftermarket device, he walked away. The program in the stock computers was hard enough to deal with, but having a non-authorized program caused problems he could not diagnose. He had no idea what the program was supposed to do, how it affected other areas of the vehicle, etc. So again, how does a company keep their tech people up to date with all the different roots and apps out there?

Just my thoughts....

Excellent post. Though, what if when I rooted I was given the option like Nexus One owners? Where I willingly invalidate my warranty by accepting the terms and conditions when unlocking my phone? I don't see what that isn't an option. That would alleviate tech supports woes for rooted/unlocked customers.

wtherrell

Reaction score
Just got my upgrade notice on the 30th but expires on 31st?

My NE2 is 8/21/10. Got email notice on the 30th but expires on 31st. Looks like they are offering LG Ally, BBStorm, or HTC Incredible. Not the Droid X. Can't pull the trigger by 7/31 'cause I really have not made up my mind yet as to whether I want the Incredible or the DX. My big problem with my Omnia is that I can't see the screen contents when outside in daylight. Which of these would be best in that regard?
Don't even know yet if Android will sync my Outlook 2003 Task list which is an absolute must! Great website and I will be searching the forums for answers.
Still have in back of my mind to wait for Galaxy S on VZW. Will it be Android or Win 7? Sorry about the Off Topic stuff.

Donsell

Reaction score
My NE2 is 8/21/10. Got email notice on the 30th but expires on 31st. Looks like they are offering LG Ally, BBStorm, or HTC Incredible. Not the Droid X. Can't pull the trigger by 7/31 'cause I really have not made up my mind yet as to whether I want the Incredible or the DX. My big problem with my Omnia is that I can't see the screen contents when outside in daylight. Which of these would be best in that regard?
Don't even know yet if Android will sync my Outlook 2003 Task list which is an absolute must! Great website and I will be searching the forums for answers.
Still have in back of my mind to wait for Galaxy S on VZW. Will it be Android or Win 7? Sorry about the Off Topic stuff.

I think you can use your NE2 to get what you want, you're not limited to what they send you in the flier. I'm keeping my Droid for the time being. For me, the Droid X isn't a big enough jump to move. The Galaxy or the Pro maybe though.

Outlook tasks won't snyc out of the box. There is an app by Touchdown that will sync them.

I moved my task management to Toodledo : Sign in. They're online and have a free Android app. It's working for me.

y0manda

Reaction score
I am eligible for afn early upgrade. I have had my droid since rls date. I am not jumping on the x because I wasn't to see that 2ghz phone motorola promised this year.

pipboy

Reaction score
I was so close! Until he asked his manager to be absolutely sure... :(

kytprice

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a rep told her I saw the video on the internet.
She said that I wasn't eligible but that she would do a override for either the
droid x or the incredible. I got the x for the upgrade price now I will give my droid to the wife and use the x. lying about the text message wasn't working so I thought I would try the truth a bam worked first try.
dancedroid

kytprice

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a rep told her I saw the video on the internet.
She said that I wasn't eligible but that she would do a override for either the
droid x or the incredible. I got the x for the upgrade price now I will give my droid to the wife and use the x. lying about the text message wasn't working so I thought I would try the truth and bam worked first try.
dancedroid