Verizon Brings Back the "2GB Bonus Data for Life" Promo

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
If money's tight, I'd do it for a Benji. In a heartbeat. Run out and hit that safety zone one month? I bet he'd become more frugal. Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I guess I need to understand that safety zone better, Pere. Honestly, I haven't kept up on what Verizon offers since we've been on the UDP and no contract. I never thought I would actually consider it.....

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I guess I need to understand that safety zone better, Pere. Honestly, I haven't kept up on what Verizon offers since we've been on the UDP and no contract. I never thought I would actually consider it.....
I'm not sure if safety zone is the same thing but you can cap each person's line at so much data each month. Once they hit that cap, they no longer have access to data until the next month cycle. Throughout the month, I'm always adjusting data caps on our four lines. We each start out with equal amounts, but depending on who's got what going on for the month, someone runs out before the end of the month. If one of us has used little data then I'll lower their cap and add it to the person who needs it. That way there is no risk to going over our data. At $100 savings, is jump on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm not sure if safety zone is the same thing but you can call each person's line at so much days each month. Once they hit that cap, they no longer have access to data until the next month cycle. Throughout the month, I'm always adjusting data caps on our four lines. We each start out with equal amounts, but depending on who's got what going on for the month, someone runs out before the end of the month. If one of us has used little data then I'll lower their cap and add it to the person who needs it. That way there is no risk to going over our data. At $100 savings, is jump on it.

She can still do the limits but would need to take them off your the safety net.

Safety net allows you to go over your 32GB but at 128kbps speeds.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
She can still do the limits but would need to take them off your the safety net.

Safety net allows you to go over your 32GB but at 128kbps speeds.
Aha, so the safety net is your guarantee that you won't go over data just puts you at 2g speed when you go over. The safety net is free for L and XL plans, correct?

Just to make sure I understand... if I wanted to change to these plans, would I be able to cap each person's data at a certain amount? I think that is a no. But would I be able to assign one line to not be on the safety net and cap data on that one line.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You can cap each line individually, or let them all run free and "Safety Mode" will kick in when the total shared data exceeds the limit.

If a line is capped, data will stop completely when the cap is reached. If a line is not capped then all lines will move into Safety Mode once the total of all lines reaches the plan limit.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Okay, I'm going to look more closely at this. My biggest fear has been not enough data AND going over...

The other thing most people don't realize is that Verizon will allow you to adjust your plan mid-month, including the last day of your billing cycles, to a higher or lower priced plan and they will adjust your bill retroactive to the beginning of the plan month. In other words, if you're already over your monthly allotment but the billing cycle hasn't closed yet, you simply call *611 and ask them to move your pricing plan to the next higher allotment and you'll only be charged the difference between the two plans, i.e. no penalty. I do this frequently as needed.

So go with the plan size that you know you'll use, but don't go for a plan that gives you a huge margin. Then as you near your allotment Verizon will send texts to the primary account-holders cell phone at 75% and again at several additional percentages, until you reach the limit. You can then simply increase the allotment if you so choose, as long as you do it before the billing cycle ends..

Then have them drop the plan back down again if you prefer for the next billing cycle. No need to pay for 100GB every month if you're only using 50GB most months.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, after researching the history of UDP and plans in general, I've seen that Verizon has worked hard to increase plan limits while reducing costs. I know that's going to create a strong response from some, but the numbers don't lie. Today you can get 100GB of data at speeds that are 1000 times faster than 3G and the cost is less than 1/3 of what a comparable plan would have been in 2009. Most everything in life we buy gets more expensive over time, but the cost of data, both in transmission and storage has dropped precipitously over the last 2 decades, and will likely continue the downward slide for the foreseeable future.
my first plan back in 93 was $50 a month. I got 100 local minutes and my local area was about 5 square miles, if that. For that $50 I got NO texting, NO free long distance, NO data at all, NO employee discount ability. Roaming was .69 a minute. Now I pay $40 a month after employee after discount for unlimited calls with free long distance, unlimited texts, 2GB data that the extra rolls over each month. I haven't had to roam in years so I have no idea what it costs now.
My bang for buck is a lot better than when I first started, unlimited data or not.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I missed this by 1 day last November when they offered the same thing...1 day! Such is life. :D

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I was stuck on 3g most of last weekend in the sticks of beautiful PA.
It was pretty unusable. And safety is even lower. I couldn't imagine.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I called Verizon, made the switch. My 8gb promo data that I got last year (2gb per each new line that is activated, or upgraded wth new phone) transferred over to the new plan. The Verizon rep told me that when they first offered these new plans the promo data wasn't transferable to the new plans but that has recently changed. Must be that people with promo data were not switching to these new plans.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Oh, cool! That's how my minutes used to work way back when... Thank you so much, everyone. Y'all have been so helpful.

In order to get the promo 2gb/line, you MUST upgrade that line on a device payment.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I called Verizon, made the switch. My 8gb promo data that I got last year (2gb per each new line that is activated, or upgraded wth new phone) transferred over to the new plan. The Verizon rep told me that when they first offered these new plans the promo data wasn't transferable to the new plans but that has recently changed. Must be that people with promo data were not switching to these new plans.

Yay, I'm so glad it transferred! I'm hoping that applies to everyone

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
In order to get the promo 2gb/line, you MUST upgrade that line on a device payment.

Ugh, no. I am not in a position, nor need, to add devices. I still think it's worth me taking it into consideration -- getting back into a contract. $100 a month savings is pretty significant to me. I will definitely discuss all aspects with a csr first to make sure I'm doing the math correctly.