Verizon extending Droid X early upgrade program to more customers

beastcmg

Reaction score
I was eligible for an upgrade on 2/17/2011 but just for the heck of it I checked out the Droid X it said I could get it for 199.99 so I hit upgrade phone and went to check out and got the phone for 199.99 no problems, I should have it tomorrow. :)

wsbsteven

Reaction score
I was eligible for an upgrade on 2/17/2011 but just for the heck of it I checked out the Droid X it said I could get it for 199.99 so I hit upgrade phone and went to check out and got the phone for 199.99 no problems, I should have it tomorrow. :)

My rep said they'd never heard of an upgrade jacked up as far as yours so grats on that.

RoNYC

Reaction score
Tried to upgrade just now and it did not come up for 199. Oh well congrats on those who could and did upgrade!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Played with the X today and I have some thoughts.

Now let me preference that my review is based on my opinion.

Now to start its nice and is very light, heck my droid with the otterbox case was heavier. It is bigger bu not by much, so if you concerned about putting it in your pocket dont be. If the droid and your wallet can fit the the x can fit.

Look: it looks nice and like it will last a good bit. I like the screen, and the size . I watched nfl mobile live on it and compared it to my o/c droid. And even though my droid started out fast the X caught up quickly. It seemed to handle video play pretty smooth.

Typing: the keyboard ib big enough for my fingers so it should be good for any one lol.

Comparing time.......

droid v droid x: Though the droid x played video a little smoother it was not something that blew me away. So if you have the droid and want the droid x, I suggest getting it if you think that that is the best device out for you. And what I mean is this, my mother would benefit from a larger screen and it is probably the best thing for her and she could care less about all the other then the basic functions. So I think if you aim for that device it should be because it have something that you feel meet a bunch of your needs, if not you bought into the hype and will be buying another device soon.
It may seem like im hating on the X, but I actually think it is a solid device. I think the people who would benefit MOST from it are the people who do not use the android os for full customization and roming. Those that want a nice phone and just want it basic, and have all the features at hand. It is a device geared more toward the everyday user.
If you are on the fence and you use your device for customizing, I think you will be disappointed once the hype die down. The droid can be o/c to 1100 and up, the dx is at 1ghz (heck even the inc can be o/c) The dx has mobile hotspots and the droid has free wifi tethering. The dx and droid both have tethering both through vzw and third party apps.
Really the only real feature the droid x has is a bigger screen, but who is gonna watch an entire movie on a phone. The blockbuster app is a waste of money. I am not gonna pay 18 bucks (4 bucks if u rent) to watch parts of a movie while at an airport. Now it does come in handy on an airplane. But I could do the same with amazon and a net book and i have a bigger screen.
Am I hating no, I just want to help people not fall in to the hype. If the device have things that you need outside of the bells and whistles then you will benefit, if not you will be done with it bout time another device come out.
Now the thing that encourages me about the dx, is that if they are able to get a dual chip working then it can do a lot and I am wanting to see what it will be able to accomplish. Because the x still seem to handle videos similar to an o/c droid in that it is limited to the power of one processor.

So the point in my review is to suggest people play with the x and play wih the droid, ask yourself if it really does that much more then the droid. If to you the answer is yes then buy it. For me it was no so ima hold off.

Am I an X hater.........no Im just not big on hype.

devin865

Reaction score
if you notice how it says to upgrade to a 3g "upgrade" being key its only avalible for customes who do not have 3g smart phones, it their way to get people to upgrade to a data package and extend their contract. so dont get any hopes up if you curently have a droid

beastcmg

Reaction score

I forgot to say I have a droid and my order was confirmed for 199.99 after taxes ans shipping it was 222.56. I dont know if this was an error on VZW's part or if I'm one of the lucky preferred customers. I placed my order at 8:30am but since then a friend of mine tried the same thing around 3pm but it came up as full price.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just talked to a vzw rep and she has been very helpful through this ordeal. Ok to clear up how they are doing this. If you are at the 12/31/10 upgrade day that is the magic number.
The high value/ high risk thing is obviously throwing a bunch of people for loops. And she clarified this for me, just because you call and throw a tantrum does not make you high risk. I guess people have been flooding the lines trying that method.
They was considering high risk as customers who were month to month, or was close to being done with their 2 year contract.

Now this next part is not hinted or discussed any way with the vzw rep and is purely my opinion.

Now if you comment that the droid headset is poorly built and fight that I am sure you may win that argument but is it really worth burning your ne2 on it.

tony1208

Reaction score
Just called up about 20min ago ...mentioned the nba plan and asked if i can use it and he said yes...i was due on nov 11....but this worked for me ...Thanks Droid Forums :)

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just called up about 20min ago ...mentioned the nba plan and asked if i can use it and he said yes...i was due on nov 11....but this worked for me ...Thanks Droid Forums :)

yes! somebody finally has a success story, from one of our news storiesdancedroiddancedroid

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

really, because the person i talked to said I was not eligible..

FireDroid

Reaction score
My wife was up on September 17th. I have a droid and they let me get an X on my line and put the Droid on hers!

tony1208

Reaction score
Like a buddy of said , "It all depends on the rep you get" .

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you call in, ask if they are a "corporate call center" or an "outsourced call center". This could be the difference between you getting to upgrade early or not. The corporate call center people actually work and draw their paychecks directly from VZW, where the outsourced are outsourced (within the U.S.) and are not always going to be able to do the same things as a corporate center.

I went to our local BJ's store today and saw the Droid X - it is much too big of a screen for me. And, from what I'm reading on DF, you can't root nor will we be able to find root on the phone or it will truly brick. I'm going to hold out for a while, even though my son's line is eligible now and possibly wait until end of year or even get a 4G phone next year.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you call in, ask if they are a "corporate call center" or an "outsourced call center". This could be the difference between you getting to upgrade early or not. The corporate call center people actually work and draw their paychecks directly from VZW, where the outsourced are outsourced (within the U.S.) and are not always going to be able to do the same things as a corporate center.

I went to our local BJ's store today and saw the Droid X - it is much too big of a screen for me. And, from what I'm reading on DF, you can't root nor will we be able to find root on the phone or it will truly brick. I'm going to hold out for a while, even though my son's line is eligible now and possibly wait until end of year or even get a 4G phone next year.

I even got a corporate rep who was as nice as can be. I laid so many questions, but she read off her NBA and it said 12/31/01. If you no someone or some where Ima all ears cuz I struck out twice so far. But theis time i went out swinging and knocked a couple of foul balls out the park.