using upgrade while grandfathered

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Lmao! Yeah, Verizon is pretty sneaky. Glad you called first. Supposedly, if the tiered line is eligible for an upgrade and you buy a subsidized phone, activate it on that tiered line, then you switch it to your unlimited line, it does not make your lose your unlimited. This scenario Verizon actually explained to me. But I understood it to be that the tiered line had to be eligible and he was very clear that the new phone had to be activated on the tiered line before moving it over to the unlimited line.

beefchopper

Reaction score
Lmao! Yeah, Verizon is pretty sneaky. Glad you called first. Supposedly, if the tiered line is eligible for an upgrade and you buy a subsidized phone, activate it on that tiered line, then you switch it to your unlimited line, it does not make your lose your unlimited. This scenario Verizon actually explained to me. But I understood it to be that the tiered line had to be eligible and he was very clear that the new phone had to be activated on the tiered line before moving it over to the unlimited line.

Sorry but I've gotten lost trying to follow this thread so will ask about my specific situation. I'm on a family plan with 3 smartphones (all 3G without sim cards and all with unlimited data) and one flip phone. Two of the smartphones are eligible for upgrades. The main line is the one I'd like to switch to a 4G phone and would like to keep unlimited data if possible. The other smartphone eligible to upgrade doesn't need 4G and uses very little data. Is there a way I can up[grade the main line to a 4G phone and keep unlimited data ven if it means somehow using the upgrade on the other eligible phone and then switching them? Thanks.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You would have to call Verizon to be certain...but I know if you use the upgrade from the phone you want to keep unlimited on, then you will lose unlimited on that line.

It is possible that you could use the upgrade on the line that you don't care if it is tiered that they will let you choose tiered for that line while you keep unlimited for the other lines. If so, then after you upgrade that line to tiered with a new phone and after you activate the new phone on that tiered line, then you can switch the new phone to any of the other lines.

But you will want to ask Verizon before you proceed to make sure.

Mule65

Reaction score
Yup, just called. If you transfer the upgrade from the unlimited data line to a tiered data line, the unlimited data line would burst into flames and from the ashes, a tiered data line would emerge.

Verizon has caught on.

Classic!