Friend wants a Droid, but...

OP
bristolcat

bristolcat

Reaction score
Another question - what are the odds of this succeeding in-store? This friend has a business relationship with a local reseller and will probably go to the store again to make sure she wants the Droid (she's curious about the Devour). If they won't budge in the store, will there be some kind of note in her record that would effect her chances of succeeding with this strategy over the phone?

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Depends on which angle you use to try to get the early upgrade. If you go the device does not work route, you'd be better off trying over the phone.

gruve

Reaction score
Another question - what are the odds of this succeeding in-store? This friend has a business relationship with a local reseller and will probably go to the store again to make sure she wants the Droid (she's curious about the Devour). If they won't budge in the store, will there be some kind of note in her record that would effect her chances of succeeding with this strategy over the phone?

Resellers have no authorization, you need to go to VZW store directly.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

The guys that work in the store have no authority no matter what level (from what i've heard) so i just call *611 its honestly your best bet, not sure why people question it ;) has worked every time even when i was "my dad" on the phone for my mom and bro.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score

I would tell your friend not even to hassle with the Devour and just go for Droid. Devour is just a baby droid with ALOT less features.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score

I would tell your friend not even to hassle with the Devour and just go for Droid. Devour is just a baby droid with ALOT less features.

Unless your friend is a girl, not sure why but the women seem to love the devour while the men like the droid, if the friend is more geeky/computer savy than the droids the way to go if not than just go with the devour, sorry other droiders im a proud droid geek, its the most a phone can be like a computer :)

OP
bristolcat

bristolcat

Reaction score
Yeah, this is her first smartphone and would be a big leap for her. She seemed really intrigued by MotoBLUR and liked the look of the Devour. I think she will be disappointed that it weighs more than the Droid, though! Maybe she should look at the Eris if she's a little gun-shy of the Droid...

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Yeah, this is her first smartphone and would be a big leap for her. She seemed really intrigued by MotoBLUR and liked the look of the Devour. I think she will be disappointed that it weighs more than the Droid, though! Maybe she should look at the Eris if she's a little gun-shy of the Droid...

Just make sure she knows there are no keys, huge turn off for alot of people with the eris, devour really isnt that much heavier when you hold it.

Warweasel

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm being stupid or naive, but couldn't one just go to amazonwireless, or wirefly or the wal-mart wireless site, get the phone for $20 or something and sign for a 2 year extension? The store would have no idea, and all it would do is reset your contract to two years. Seems like a no-brainer, but maybe I'm missing something.

UPDATE: Just went and looked at Amazon's ($69 w/ contract renewal) and Wal-mart's ($19.99 w/contract renewal), and while I didn't go through the whole ordering process, nothing says that you have to be at the end of your contract to purchase. In fact, when I bought my wife's and mine through Amazon, I don't remember any part of it asking if I was up for renewal, and I know that the Amazon one will let you just continue your existing plan (obviously you'd have to add the data plan), I don't know about Wally World. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

xythil

Reaction score
Forgive me if I'm being stupid or naive, but couldn't one just go to amazonwireless, or wirefly or the wal-mart wireless site, get the phone for $20 or something and sign for a 2 year extension? The store would have no idea, and all it would do is reset your contract to two years. Seems like a no-brainer, but maybe I'm missing something.

UPDATE: Just went and looked at Amazon's ($69 w/ contract renewal) and Wal-mart's ($19.99 w/contract renewal), and while I didn't go through the whole ordering process, nothing says that you have to be at the end of your contract to purchase. In fact, when I bought my wife's and mine through Amazon, I don't remember any part of it asking if I was up for renewal, and I know that the Amazon one will let you just continue your existing plan (obviously you'd have to add the data plan), I don't know about Wally World. Just my 2 cents

WOOH WOOH how does this work?

I just RECENTLY got a droid through the store at a 1 year price...

BUT Im within my 30 days... Could I just go RETURN my droid and get one through amazon or walmart for 20 bucks?!!? Just be renewing my 2year family plan!?!?!?!?

Warweasel

Reaction score
As far as I know, however I think each of those sites has people that you can call to ask questions. I'd do that first.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Something tells me that amazon and wirefly and amazon way of buying the phone will not work verizon has contracts with them as they do with best buy, and best buy checks contracts and gives you the right rate just as verizon in store would minus the "cash back discount" that is which is already taken off the price, if ANYONE on here has actually gotten a droid for these ridic prices please let us know im sure everyone within the past 30 days would return their droid for this crazy price that warweasel is speaking of.

bowhuntr09

Reaction score
Thanks LTech221 for the tip about using the "contact us" link on their website! After 2 calls in the past couple of weeks to 611 with no luck using the website link I now have 2 phones on my FP eligible for upgrade. One would have been due in 10 days but the 611 people would do nothing for me. The other wasn't due until July but is now upgradable. It took them about 12 hours to respond but it was worth the wait!

I have now tried the "contact us" route as I do have 2 phones that have issues. One turns off by itself and the other wont hold charge and is on its second OEM battery. Maybe they will help, if not I may just hold off until the last one is done and at a minimum get them all on the same replacement schedule and at best give me some bargaining power to move carriers.

xythil

Reaction score
Something tells me that amazon and wirefly and amazon way of buying the phone will not work verizon has contracts with them as they do with best buy, and best buy checks contracts and gives you the right rate just as verizon in store would minus the "cash back discount" that is which is already taken off the price, if ANYONE on here has actually gotten a droid for these ridic prices please let us know im sure everyone within the past 30 days would return their droid for this crazy price that warweasel is speaking of.

Just checked, amazon will only let you extend within the last 2 months of your contract