using upgrade while grandfathered

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jwilly216, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

Are you saying i can just go to Verizon and ask for a micro Sim and then I'll just stick it in the s3?
  2. Versatile1

Versatile1 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

That's what I did. They even make microSIM to SIM adapters so you can use the micro on other devices. I use it because I have 3 phones that I work on.

[​IMG]
  3. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

That would possibly solve my problem if i can just get a micro sun and switch between phones without having to deal with Verizon.. I've been on hold for 30 mins waiting to ask if i can come get a micro Sim and if so, get the S3
  4. Bishang

Bishang New Member

You could just go into the store and ask them for one like if you were to buy a phone off of craigslist. They don't charge for them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2
  5. Versatile1

Versatile1 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Exactly...

[​IMG]
  6. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

Tech support just confirmed to me that after my mom activated her old phone the Sim on the s3 would reset so i just go online and activate that phone to my line n it becomes my Sim
    Plus i keep unlimited data....
  7. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I think that sim would be associated with her phone number. But all you have to do is get a free sim from a Verizon store and you can activate the s3 on your number and from what I was told be Verizon, as long as the s3 is first activated on your mom's line, you can move the phone to any line you want without it changing your unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  8. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

So tomorrow i will use the alternate upgrade to buy my ma the galaxy s3, then I'll switch her back to her old phone
    Meanwhile I'll ask for a micro Sim so then i can just pop that into the s3....
    all while keeping unlimited data?
  9. Bishang

Bishang New Member

Yes, exactly it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  10. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

How confident are you? What are the chances I'll be posting about how they accidentally let the system update me to the shared everything plan and i lost my unlimited n need to cancel my contract but i just freaking renewed it for two years

THAT WOULD MAKE ME SLIT MY WRISTS.
    also- do i have to activate the s3 on my moms line and then switch her back to her old phone or could i just never even have it activated on her line & then just stick in my Sim????
    Thanks friends
  11. Bishang

Bishang New Member

To be safe, activate it on her line first.

12. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

I will thanks.
    I'm gonna try this tomorrow! Omg i do hope it works correctly. After how long can i stick my Sim card inside and have it working?
  13. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Yes, Verizon was very specific with me that it must be first activated on the tiered line, that will then renew her contract for two years and then after it has been activated on her line and it activates her new contract, then it can be switched to any line without renewing or changing the contract.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums
  14. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

It's immediate. I switch between my Bionic and a Rezound quite a bit and all I do is swap the sim card. I never had any problems.
  15. Bishang

Bishang New Member

That's because all you're doing is switching between phones on your line. He would need a micro SIM to already be activated on their line for that to happen. But they would still needed to activate the phone on their mom's line first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  16. elitecmdr666

elitecmdr666 New Member

glad i saw this cause i was going to ask the same thing, right now i have 5 device 3 which are on hold cause the bill is crazy overpriced and well i dont know what to do, does not help im disabled and on a limited income so i struggle just to keep this bill up hence i frooze 3 account. im due for upgrade but have not done so cause i know that no matter what i will lose my unlimited data, which to me makes no sense in sharing a pool of data at vzw crazy prices. i been with vzw since i came back from iraq and i admit by far the best service i can get has been with them. but now i just dont know what to do no more...and i just dont know whats important having a sg3 4g lte with just 2g to share which is what i can afford know that with the lte speed will be faster and better im just going to use more date and then get overages or just jumping ship to tmobile to where i would pay way less that what im paying now with vzw. not to mention all my issues in the past with lock bootloaders does not make me that much happy to include sg3. im just lost at this point and well have talked to many people and they just dont care about tech, data or phones...any input is welcomed thanks in advance...
  17. bnpdp

bnpdp New Member

Only adding this as a question because I don't know....

Doesn't Verizon technically own the phone for the contract time because it is subsidized? I could see his mom being able to switch phones because she "owns" one of them, but wouldn't the system recognize the new phone on his line that he hasn't renewed and not allow it since technically it has not been paid for in full until the contract has been fulfilled? Isn't this the reason to pay full price for the phone?
  18. kijutsu

kijutsu New Member

I did a similar thing with my Xoom tablet. I had an OG GalaxyTab that was losing its mind, so I bought a Xoom off Swappa, took it up to a VZW Direct store, they installed a new sim and activated it on my 3gig plan from some two years ago without any contract changes.

in short.. .3g to 4g data plan without contract changes.
  19. Bishang

Bishang New Member

Nope. Never heard that before.

20. jwilly216

jwilly216 New Member

I'm at Verizon. I came in and asked to get a micro Sim for a RAZR i got on craigslist so i would have it without them knowing i was gonna switch it into the s3 but they said they can't just give you a Sim card they have to activate it to a phone so now I'm waiting to see if they can do the upgrade on my ma's line and then give me a micro Sim for the s3
    ...all without losing my unlimited data
Search tags for this page
galaxy s3 alternate upgrade
upgrading to s4 what to do change plans

verizon upgrade loopholes