using upgrade while grandfathered

jwilly216

Reaction score
Hey if i have an upgrade and let my Mon use it on her line to get the RAZR M so i can have it; would that renew HERS or MY contract?I CANNOT renew my contact because i need to keep my grandfathered unlimited data.
I can't use the upgrade ago can't my mom just upgrade and get the phone & renew her contract? I do they renew my contract and simply give her the new phone?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you get a good rep they can do the upgrade and only the line that takes it will lose unlimited. If you have a rep not interested in working with you then you're screwed :p

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
If you get a good rep they can do the upgrade and only the line that takes it will lose unlimited. If you have a rep not interested in working with you then you're screwed :p

Thank you. Any more input? Anyone else that can support or criticize this answer?

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
If your mom takes the upgrade, her line gets renewed, not yours. But after the transaction is done, I believe you could switch phones with her and everything should be fine.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Bishang

Reaction score
As long as you're not taking the upgrade initially, you don't lose your unlimited plan. Just get it activated for her line first (doesn't matter whose upgrade it is) and then transfer the phone to your line. Just make sure you have a SIM card you can use for your line. You can get one for free from a VZW Direct store.

If the upgrade used is from her line, her contract gets extended. If it's from your line, your contract gets extended. If you're not concerned about disconnecting from Verizon then it shouldn't matter whose contract gets extended. If you're mom ever wanted a new phone, she can just use the upgrade from any line that has one available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
I talked to Verizon and they said regardless of who uses my upgrade, its MY contract that gets renewed so there's no way to use it. He also recommended that I do everything i can to keep my unlimited data because that's the most he's Ebert seen anyone use in a month lol

Bishang

Reaction score
Your contract, yes. Do you care about contract length? If your only concern is not losing unlimited data, then don't upgrade from your phone number initially. Do the upgrade on your mom's line and then transfer the phone. I feel like I explained this already. Once it's upgraded on your mom's line and then you want to transfer it to your line, it's considered customer provided equipment and you can't lose your unlimited data unless you get a rep who doesn't know what they're doing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
Bishang said:
Your contract, yes. Do you care about contract length? If your only concern is not losing unlimited data, then don't upgrade from your phone number initially. Do the upgrade on your mom's line and then transfer the phone. I feel like I explained this already. Once it's upgraded on your mom's line and then you want to transfer it to your line, it's considered customer provided equipment and you can't lose your unlimited data unless you get a rep who doesn't know what they're doing.

I think you may be a Lil confused about how these things work

Bishang

Reaction score
I'm not confused. I was a Verizon rep and also used this work around to get my galaxy s3 and kept my unlimited data. I was just offering you insight, thank you very much..

You said do whatever you can to not lose your unlimited data, I was telling you how now to lose it. If you don't appreciate it, then don't do it. Don't tell me I'm confused when I know exactly how it works.

Last edited:
OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
In theory u r correct but they said there is no way do what you are saying ( to use my upgrade to upgrade my moms line). If my upgrade its used, my line is is re- contracted, period.
You're saying i can renew my contract for another 2 years without upgrading KY data plan- but that's the problem- when you renew your contract, you have to use one of their tiered data contracts...
That's what they told me over the phone. I talked to tech support and a Verizon employee

Bishang

Reaction score
They told you wrong info. They want you to change plans, but you don't have to. They can't force you to change to share everything.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
From what I was recently told by Verizon, if one of my tiered line's was eligible for an upgrade, then I could get a phone at a subsidized price, activate it on the tiered line that was eligible and it would not affect my unlimited data on my line. Once it was activated on the tiered line, then the new phone could be changed to any line I want without any changes to the plans.

From what I understood, you can no longer transfer your eligible upgrade to a different line like you were able to do in the past. I think that may be the problem in your case. It would have to be your mom's line that was eligible in order for you to be able to keep your unlimited.

But don't quote me because it seems like lately that everytime you talk to Verizon it is a different story. I think they are still just as confused as we are.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
From what I was recently told by Verizon, if one of my tiered line's was eligible for an upgrade, then I could get a phone at a subsidized price, activate it on the tiered line that was eligible and it would not affect my unlimited data on my line. Once it was activated on the tiered line, then the new phone could be changed to any line I want without any changes to the plans.

From what I understood, you can no longer transfer your eligible upgrade to a different line like you were able to do in the past. I think that may be the problem in your case. It would have to be your mom's line that was eligible in order for you to be able to keep your unlimited.

But don't quote me because it seems like lately that everytime you talk to Verizon it is a different story. I think they are still just as confused as we are.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Yeah, I really don't trust what Verizon says anymore.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

npro1464

Reaction score
I called and asked when my lines contract is up and inquiried about an etf and they started asking why I wanted to leave. I told them I hate my phone and they offered to let me use my brothers upgrade (a dumb phone line) without losing unlimited data. Call again until u hear the right answer and have that rep help u. Ask for the manager. Also threaten to cancel your line.

Or just leave VZ!!

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
Ok i went to Verizon and i talked to technical support on the phone and they both confirmed the same answer;
I can give my mom my upgrade so she can get the S3 or whatever i choose.... That's confirmed and my unlimited data will not be touched.
The problem is when i take the s3 of my moms and go to activate the S3 on my line, there's the problem of my contract being changed and losing my unlimited data when they get me a microSIM.
He said i could go on craigslist and just trade for the same phone and since it has no association with our account i could activate it and get a new sim, no problem.

NOTE: he said ''I'm not allowed to say this'' but if you re-activate your moms old phone so the s3 is alone and then u root it before taking it to Verizon, that would keep it from changing your data plan. I asked how rooting would achieve that, but he apologized for bringing it up because he really should not have said that

What do i do now? I was gonna get the s3 today.or RAZR M