USB tethering

jbird133

Reaction score
I was looking for an app to run usb tethering, and found pdanet, but this app has so many security issue (app has acces to your sms, email, and network connections). Does anyone know of any apps without the security u=issue?

OP
J

jbird133

Reaction score
I thinks you misunderstood the question, the app has access to your sms, network traffic, emails meaning apps leave you open for others to see you texts, and network traffic, and emails.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think you're misunderstanding the overall security setup. :) Leaving all that you listed open to whom? How?

An app has permission to access these things for a reason. PDA Net needs access to your internet connection for obvious reasons, but it has access to the other things because anything that can be done via BlueTooth is open to PDA Net. PDA Net can use the BlueTooth system on your phone, so it needs said access. It monitors the CDMA voice network because CDMA doesn't allow both voice and data connections at the same time. SMS comes over the voice network, not the data network, so if one comes in while tethering it will interrupt your tether session. Email, being data... Etc.

But if you can tell me who and how you're vulnerable, I'll try to answer your questions more directly. :)

OP
J

jbird133

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! I was thinking that it was opened for others to see my email, text, and my netowrk connections.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The security warnings tell you what the app has access to -- like furbearingmammal explained, it doesnt necessarily mean that the information is open for distribution. In a malicious app, this might be the case (but why would they advertise it)? The security warnings just give you SA on what that app will be able to view.

ddricci

Reaction score
PDANET and IPSEC [DROIDX]

I'm trying to use PDANET tethered going through a VPN for work - runnig IPSEC seems to diasble connectivity through the VPN.
Is there something known about this?
I can connect just fine externally that is before I attempt to connect remotely through my works VPN.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't know as PDA Net/Easy Tether work with a VPN. Try contacting the developers to ask. If they say no you'll probably have to root so you can modify some files (though the root-only USB Tethering app might work with VPN just fine).

OP
J

jbird133

Reaction score
Which VPN appliance are you using? My compnay had a world of problems with win7 and CISCO vpn because win 7 registry would place the smart phone modem on top of the binding order. This would cause some external DNS to not resolve internal domain names. You can make it work by manually changing the binding order everytime you log onto the VPN (pain in the ass). MS wouldn't help not Verizon, so we spent $$$$ and changed to Juniper web access (ipsec, or ssl) VPN, and it works beautifully.

heath223

Reaction score
Help me understand this please.

Verizon charges you for the hotspot. Do they charge for USB tethering? I had put PDAnet and as I was setting it up found that I can connect to my laptop without using PDAnet. I never got a message about having to pay for tethering so will I ever or is USB free?

ebourlet

Reaction score
Been using usb tether since I got my bionic the day of it's release . I don't download movies or stream with the USB but have never had an issue on my bill.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

SniperDroid

Reaction score
There are some apps on the Market for tethering that Verizon customers are blocked from downloading because Big Red doesn't
want you to tether at all, unless you pay them first. Keep your usage low and they probably will never look at you. But the folks
downloading 50 gigs a month are running into a bit of a problem.....

ebourlet

Reaction score
No app needed with the Bionic...just plug in USB and select USB tether from network settings.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

tha rockstar

Reaction score
What is a good reliable USB tethering app?? I have a RAZR Maxx rooted and on JellyBean and have jelly haters ROM on it. My PC is running Windows XP so any help would be appreciated. PDANet used to work but not no more.