Update your PRL'S

freeloader

Reaction score
awesome. i always forget to do this. added to calendar. :) went from 2 bars to full! yay!

ice456789

Reaction score
For what it's worth : )

Verizon Wireless is constantly advancing its roaming technology to provide you with superior roaming capabilities. By updating your PRL every few weeks, you can be sure you have access to our enhancements. As a result you may experience:

• Longer battery life
  • Fewer dropped or blocked calls
  • Clear, crisp connections in more areas across the United States
  • Ability to connect to the digital network in more parts of the country
All those pretty much allude to the fact that what I said about PRL's with Sprint is the same with Verizon. A newer PRL list would definitely help with battery life, dropped calls, better connections, and digital networks- while roaming. :)

BTW, I got a big thumbprint on my screen thanks to the pic in your signature. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did this immediately after I updated.... and just did it again... made more a difference this time as I went from 3 bars to full 4 in my basement. Excellent....

TheShaz

Reaction score
Updated...will see when I get home....once in a while at home I will be dumped to 1X.

Thanks for the update!

andjarnic

Reaction score
I am a bit confused.. every user on verizon (or droid) should once a month dial some code to get better reception? This makes no sense at all. This can first of all easily be done by Verizon, especially on android phones. Like someone said, probably less than 1% of users knows this and does it. The forums is the only reason all of you know about it. I can't imagine my grandma or mom or uncle being told by anyone at Verizon "Oh.. just punch this in once a month or so and you'll get better reception".

Incidentally, if it really is needed, I can write an app that schedules it to run every so often and dials that for you. Is there anything needed after you punch that in... like wait for some tone, then press more numbers? If it's just dialing that.. should be easy enough to put into an app.

EDIT* Ok, just did it, I am now at 51716. My signal is weaker now. Was that supposed to happen? Is see you dial it, then wait and press option 2 (as the OP said..my bad). I guess the app could "delay" a few seconds, then press #2.. have to try it. I'll see if there is a way for an app to be notified when the other end picks up the phone. Still..this is ridiculous that end users have to do this themselves.

Last edited:
R

racklefratz

I did PRL updates on both our Droids today. Both have the OS update. Once I dialed the *228 each phone showed an "Activate Your Phone" dialog at the top of the screen. I got all the usual voice prompts, selected 2 for PRL update, and PRL update occurred normally and terminated the call automatically. After that, I got another screen that proudly announced

"Phone is Activated! Your phone is now activated. It may take up to 15 minutes for service to start."

Wonder what all that's about - same thing happened with both phones. I wasn't "activating" either of the phones, only updating PRLs. "Activation" was done at the VZW store when we bought the phones, and neither of them have been "de-activated" since.

I don't understand why the dialog about "activation" for phones that already ARE activated. I'm confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elysian

Reaction score
Wish a PRL update would make my phone get signal at my desk :/ I used to get 5 bars on Sprint here with my Pre :/

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
yep. this is pretty much a monthly ordeal for me. I did notice that i was not getting a very good signal after the update this morning. updated the roaming and BAM! 4 bars instead of 1.

Krish

Reaction score
When i try to update i just get a pop up saying unsuccessful, a special call needs to be made to activate your phone service blahblah o.o

spalding12

Reaction score
my alltel PRL, here on the west coast of florida
..... LAND OF NO GPS FOR ALLTEL REFUGEES....
is now 30051....
it's been changing every single day for 2 weeks
no hybrid PRL push by verizon for ex-alltel customers
that isn't true

i have to do all the paperwork to change over to a VERIZON RATE PLAN
then, and only then, will my droid.... after a *228... become a true verizon phone and, SUPPOSEDLY, be able to get agps data from a verizon tower

hajabooja

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.. updated my PRL. Mine now reports as 51716 as well. Thanks again!

Krish

Reaction score
When i try to update i just get a pop up saying unsuccessful, a special call needs to be made to activate your phone service blahblah o.o

never hear THAT before
i wonder why that is?

Yea :icon_eek: i tired it again it gave me a option to press activate onscreen, i did then i tried the PRL update n it worked lol.