Update your PRL'S

xliderider

Reaction score
Updated Both Moto Droid and wife's Eris to 51716 just now. The network signal is still weak. I live in a low-lying area with all the signals going over us. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Hmm, the Eris just rebooted a few minutes following the PRL update. :eek:
The signal strength now is holding on par with the Moto Droid at -89 dBm, previously it would cycle between -97 dBm and 0 dBm. So far, the signal is holding steady at -89 dBm. Not great, but it has never done that before. :)

Thanks for the heads up CK. :D

xliderider

Reaction score
When i try to update i just get a pop up saying unsuccessful, a special call needs to be made to activate your phone service blahblah o.o

never hear THAT before
i wonder why that is?

Yea :icon_eek: i tired it again it gave me a option to press activate onscreen, i did then i tried the PRL update n it worked lol.

I get that sometimes, but I live in an area with cr@ppy signal. Sometimes I have to try several times till I can make it through the entire programming process. Perhaps your signal wasn't strong enough to get through the programming?

fr4c

Reaction score
I did "update" the PRL by going to option 2 right after I performed the 2.0.1 update a few days ago, but when I checked it was still the old PRL. Just did it again, and now I have 51716. Speed test showed a jump of 400 kbps download, and about 100 kbps upload.

So now I'm sitting at 2529 kbps / 838 kbps :icon_ banana:

Sleeve

Reaction score
I love how VzW has to call it a software update for the bottomfeeders.

cgarnes

Reaction score
Excellent reminder! I'm doing this now, thanks to this thread. :)

Anomander

Reaction score
Previous PRL was 51638 and after update it went to 51716. Went from 3 bars to 4 bars. Speedtest also went up DL=1.37Mbps Upload is .37Bbps. Downloading went up by .5 and uploading went up .1 from my previous test.

cgarnes

Reaction score
I just did my update, and 65061 is my daughter's PRL, she hasn't updated, and mine is 65073.

I don't understand all of this stuff, but my signal is now 103 dBm 0 asu, and her's is about 99 dBm. What is the difference, except for about 4 dBms?

(feels like an idiot while asking this - I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol)

Edit: One thing I noticed last week (without having done an update) was that I now have service in an area that was notorious for NEVER having ANY service, of any sort. Now, it's crystal clear.

I hope I haven't lost that connectivity with this update! That would really suck. It's great having my phone all the way through that long commute!

Last edited:

lowtech

Reaction score
Create a new contact named "Update PRL" and for the phone number use *22891
Once a month dial the contact and get updated.
Is that easy or what? :)

Now that is one very cool tip! :clap:
I then made a shortcut on one of my home screens to dial the # - perfect!

By the way, 51716 here in Maryland after system update and PRL update today.

Last edited:

dajakal

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but here's "Understanding VZW *228 Updates & Myths"
Excerpts:

What It DOES NOT Do:

Contrary to the seemingly endless loads of mis-information & rumor on the net, & sometimes from CS employees, The PRL & *228 Update DOES NOT:
1 - Have Anything to do with any individual "Towers", or accessing newly built "towers". If a company builds a new tower near your home, that new tower is already part of an existing system ("company"), which either is already listed in the PRL, or isn't. Only ENTIRE system ID's are in a PRL. There is no way for VZW to add or block any individual new or old "Towers" by way of the PRL. That's not how the PRL works. Period.
2 - The PRL update can't increase a weak native VZW signal strength issue.

romeov

Reaction score
Don't worry about the "your phone is now activated" message... that happens to all of us, it doesn't change or activate anything (except when you change your number or something, I had to do it after changing mine) it's just the generic message for #1, since that's what it's usually used for.. no problems doing it at all

jrl9851

Reaction score
Just updated mine and went from -80 dBm to -78 dBm

I'm assuming that's better?

Kalvin00

Reaction score
Just updated mine and went from -80 dBm to -78 dBm

I'm assuming that's better?

As posted 2 posts above yours:

2 - The PRL update can't increase a weak native VZW signal strength issue.

It has nothing to do with a +-2 dBm change in your signal strength.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When i try to update i just get a pop up saying unsuccessful, a special call needs to be made to activate your phone service blahblah o.o
If you, or anyone else reading this message thread try to do the PRL Update, it cannot be done if you are using a Network Extender. Just an FYI.