update stinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problems with Froyo. Nor with LauncherPro (latest update). Phone boots about 3X faster than before. Much less "lagginess."

And as others have noted, get rid of task killers or at least stop using them except in an emergency. Don't rely on VZW sales folk for technical advice. Having "free memory" provides no advantage either in terms of performance or battery use.

nooter99

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what I can expect after a factory reset? Will I lose everything? I understand I can re-download all my apps and whatnot, but what about pics, music, lists, and everything thing else I've accumulated over the last 10 months. Seems like it would be an awful lot of work and I would never be able to get everything back to the way it is now! Is it just me that thinks it's ridiculous to have to do this because of an update? What kind of company thinks that's an ok way to do business? Honestly, I think it's nothing short of total bullsh*t!!!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what I can expect after a factory reset? Will I lose everything? I understand I can re-download all my apps and whatnot, but what about pics, music, lists, and everything thing else I've accumulated over the last 10 months. Seems like it would be an awful lot of work and I would never be able to get everything back to the way it is now! Is it just me that thinks it's ridiculous to have to do this because of an update? What kind of company thinks that's an ok way to do business? Honestly, I think it's nothing short of total bullsh*t!!!

A factory reset does nothing to your sdcard. It only affects internal phone memory.

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I figured out my vibration issues, looks like during the update there may have been some changes to master notice and app notice setting.

warrior21

Reaction score

It's really not that big of a deal. Back up all your apps with astro file manager so you can put them back on after the factory reset. Nothing that is on your sd card gets touched so all pictures, etc, will still be there when you reboot. If you want to save your text messages download one of the sms backup apps from the market.

nooter99

Reaction score
Bayouflyfisher, could you explain that in a little more detail (I'm truly clueless when it comes to smartphones) Can I remove the sd card before doing the reset? I hate to be a pain in the a$$, but a step by step description of how to do it, and an explanation of what I'll end up with would be a tremendous help! Thanks. What kind of beer do you like? I'll send you some.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Bayouflyfisher, could you explain that in a little more detail (I'm truly clueless when it comes to smartphones) Can I remove the sd card before doing the reset? I hate to be a pain in the a$$, but a step by step description of how to do it, and an explanation of what I'll end up with would be a tremendous help! Thanks. What kind of beer do you like? I'll send you some.

You've probably seen Warrier21's post (#20 on this thread) by now. So surely that has reassured you.

Here's a step-by-step of the factory reset:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2071-how-hard-reset-your-motorola-droid.html

Good luck.

Badbird2000

Reaction score
I am in the same slow boat as the other peeps here. Did my update this morning, and it just bogs down. My incoming call screen is blank for about 5 seconds, then it appears and i can answer the phone. FB stops working, everything is just way slower. I unloaded the app killer i was using, no difference. Battery was drained in half the time.

Might have to resort to the hard reset...gulp. Kinda nervous..

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am in the same slow boat as the other peeps here. Did my update this morning, and it just bogs down. My incoming call screen is blank for about 5 seconds, then it appears and i can answer the phone. FB stops working, everything is just way slower. I unloaded the app killer i was using, no difference. Battery was drained in half the time.

Might have to resort to the hard reset...gulp. Kinda nervous..

I wouldn't hesitate to do a factory reset if 2.2 was acting like that on my phone. I would use something like Astro or Titanium to backup my apps (I would only do the apps btw) and make sure I had my email and other passwords and then just do it. If the problems did not go away immediately, I would then be on the phone with Verizon discussing my warranty issue. 2.2 is the slickest OS I've ever seen on a phone and it is acting "squirrelly" then there is a problem that should be covered by warranty.

Good luck.

Badbird2000

Reaction score
Thanks BayouFlyFisher... i had it on the charger in the truck for 2 hours and now the battery is almost dead. It wasn't charging at all.. i never had the problem before. Checked the connection, everything looked solid. The fiance' had had this very problem before as well...

might just bite the bullet and reset tonight..

nooter99

Reaction score
One more question and I swear I'll shut up!
Could someone give a step by step instruction on how to do the factory reset please?
I'm sure It's easy, but I'm an idiot when it comes to these smartphones.
I'm skeeerd!!!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
One more question and I swear I'll shut up!
Could someone give a step by step instruction on how to do the factory reset please?
I'm sure It's easy, but I'm an idiot when it comes to these smartphones.
I'm skeeerd!!!

First i must ask an overly obvious question. Do you know your google account information? i ask this because both of my sisters have droids and have made this mistake. When you factory reset your droid your going to have to sign into your account so id make sure you have that info before you reset. Then go into recovery (shut off phone, hold x in for 5 seconds with power button) then hit camera button and vol up. (youll have hit it several times, its stubborn!) then go to factory reset. (this is all assuming your not rooted)

w27bill

Reaction score
Hope that I'm staying on topic here, but did update yesterday to 2.2 on my Moto Droid, and so far, only buggy issues is just that my SWYPE now doesn't "Swype". I can text normal, and it shows the "tracers" as if i'm "Swyping' but nada?
Next is w/ my Moto Multimedia Station: The bright, easy to read dock clock is gone. It's replaced w/ either smaller letters/numbers on top of my wallpaper, or it will go to black background w/ SMALLER Flourescent Green clock ( both much more difficult to read).
And last but not least is that the RINGER VOLUME: It will now only be able to manually turn it down (by the side phone button) to vibrate is the lowest it goes. It will not give me the SILENT option anymore!
Any similar problems, solutions w/ these type issues??
Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope that I'm staying on topic here, but did update yesterday to 2.2 on my Moto Droid, and so far, only buggy issues is just that my SWYPE now doesn't "Swype". I can text normal, and it shows the "tracers" as if i'm "Swyping' but nada?
Next is w/ my Moto Multimedia Station: The bright, easy to read dock clock is gone. It's replaced w/ either smaller letters/numbers on top of my wallpaper, or it will go to black background w/ SMALLER Flourescent Green clock ( both much more difficult to read).
And last but not least is that the RINGER VOLUME: It will now only be able to manually turn it down (by the side phone button) to vibrate is the lowest it goes. It will not give me the SILENT option anymore!
Any similar problems, solutions w/ these type issues??
Thanks!

Swype, you build the app for the OS. I see a lot of people mention this do a search for an answer if one exist.

Download Beautiful Widgets and you can have a Beautiful Silent Widget. It will cost you a few bucks. Also you can put it on silent by just holding the power button down. That's free. :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
only buggy issues is just that my SWYPE now doesn't "Swype". I can text normal, and it shows the "tracers" as if i'm "Swyping' but nada?
An uninstall and reinstall of Swype should clear up your problems

Status
Not open for further replies.