Unroot/Back to Stock (2.2) Without .sbf or RSD Lite - Droid 1 Only

MarkO

Reaction score
This thread shoudl be made a sticky!!!! HOW TO UNROOT!

Thanks a million for this thread, it worked perfectly for me using Clockwork recovery.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
This thread shoudl be made a sticky!!!! HOW TO UNROOT!

Thanks a million for this thread, it worked perfectly for me using Clockwork recovery.
It is a sticky and has been for some time. glad it worked for you.

otter34

Reaction score
So this will erase any signs of my phone being rooted? Do I have to remove the apps that require root or is it all done for me? Sorry for the dumb question, but I have to bring it into verizon and plan to remove the sd card so I just want to be sure there is no trace of root on the phone

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So this will erase any signs of my phone being rooted? Do I have to remove the apps that require root or is it all done for me? Sorry for the dumb question, but I have to bring it into verizon and plan to remove the sd card so I just want to be sure there is no trace of root on the phone

Yes, it will erase any signs that your phone is rooted. If you have root-only apps that were downloaded from the market, they will likely download again after you do this once you sign in (unless you uninstall them before you do this). But, all you have to do is uninstall them and you'll be fine. And if you're also planning to wipe your SD card, you should be more than good to go.

jtennis

Reaction score
What if you just want to go back to stock, but still have your apps and settings, etc. i've always used titanium backup to get things working the way i like again after i try a new rom. But i don't think i'll be able to use titanium backup anymore? so there will be some work involved in getting things going again? just curious? and clueless! lol

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Good job! Dl'd and saved it to my phone's SDcard if I ever need to immediately return the phone to Verizon. I even renamed it unrootstockFRG22d to remind me what it is.

can we rename that file because i heard of people who were not able to flash something because they renamed it after it was created?

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What if you just want to go back to stock, but still have your apps and settings, etc. i've always used titanium backup to get things working the way i like again after i try a new rom. But i don't think i'll be able to use titanium backup anymore? so there will be some work involved in getting things going again? just curious? and clueless! lol

If it was me, I'd take the time to do it from scratch. I know it's time consuming, but that way everything would get a clean start. You're right, Titanium will not work without root access. MyBackupPro will work, and can backup just about everything on your phone, EXCEPT for the data associated with apps (however, it can also do that, with root access of course). It's great for things like system settings, playlists, home screen layout (if you use the stock homescreen), bookmarks, call/message logs, etc. There are ways around this of course, but I've never found them to be 100% bug free. So, despite the difficulty, I'd backup what you can with MyBackupPro, and do the rest from scratch.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good job! Dl'd and saved it to my phone's SDcard if I ever need to immediately return the phone to Verizon. I even renamed it unrootstockFRG22d to remind me what it is.

can we rename that file because i heard of people who were not able to flash something because they renamed it after it was created?

If you use Clockwork Recovery to restore with this file, it doesn't matter what it's named, as long as it ends in .zip. If you use SPRecovery, or Stock Recovery, the file has to be named update.zip to work. I've named/renamed mine numerous times (I use SPRecovery 99% of the time) b/c I do like markwebb - I have it named FRG22D_Official_OTA.zip - or something along those lines. Then I have to rename it to update.zip to flash it, then I rename it again to the more specific name.

Last edited:

otter34

Reaction score
OK they're sending another phone. One thing is that if I was to go in the market it shows that I paid for rom manager, titanium and setcpu. Is there a way to erase that?

Also, how the heck do I get my sd card out? I can't open this damn thing. I tried pushing it and thinking it would pop out, but no. How the heck do I get it?

Lastly, how long should it take to download my apps from the market? I have about 50 of them and they say, "starting download" for all of them, but really only 2 are downloading. it's been like this for about half an hour. Only launcher pro and maps have downloaded.

edit: thanks a lot. It took about 4 minutes to do everything!

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK they're sending another phone. One thing is that if I was to go in the market it shows that I paid for rom manager, titanium and setcpu. Is there a way to erase that?

Not that I know of - it's attached to your Google Checkout account, and I don't think there's any way of getting rid of that info. If you use a different Google account to link to your phone, that will obviously disappear. But it shouldn't cause any problems regardless.

Also, how the heck do I get my sd card out? I can't open this damn thing. I tried pushing it and thinking it would pop out, but no. How the heck do I get it?

Once you pop the battery out, you'll see the SD Card. If you're holding the phone upright, the SD Card should have a little "lip" at the bottom of it, you just use that to slide it down (toward the empty battery compartment) and it should slide out.

Lastly, how long should it take to download my apps from the market? I have about 50 of them and they say, "starting download" for all of them, but really only 2 are downloading. it's been like this for about half an hour. Only launcher pro and maps have downloaded.

edit: thanks a lot. It took about 4 minutes to do everything!

Totally depends on your connection. It basically has to download/install each app. I don't know the process, but I know it does a lot at the same time. Typically, when I start over, I don't even go into the market. I activate the phone (if need be), sign into my google account, get it to the home page and just put it down until I get the "** applications restored" showing up in the notification area. The market doesn't seem to like you doing anything with it before it's done restoring, for whatever reason (like you said with the "hanging" installs, though they'll likely work themselves out eventually).

jakebowenecu

Reaction score
signature verification failed.

I am having the same verification problems as the gentleman earlier. It will not take the update on my phone. Everything is spelled correctly. Could I have flashed a bad 2.1 update 1 to my phone earlier. I used the one from the unlckr thread I found. I took my phone to the verizon store and have a new one on the way. Are they going to check it once it gets back to motorola or am I good to go. Thanks for the help.

Update: The first thing I see on stock recovery is E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

when i try to update I get

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Last edited:
OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am having the same verification problems as the gentleman earlier. It will not take the update on my phone. Everything is spelled correctly. Could I have flashed a bad 2.1 update 1 to my phone earlier. I used the one from the unlckr thread I found. I took my phone to the verizon store and have a new one on the way. Are they going to check it once it gets back to motorola or am I good to go. Thanks for the help.

Update: The first thing I see on stock recovery is E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

when i try to update I get

E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I'm assuming you're referring to "fullthrottle" - and I wish we had heard back from him whether or not he was able to get it resolved. I'm not sure what his issue was, and based on what you're telling me about yours, I honestly am not sure on yours either. Have you tried flashing a different recovery like SPRecovery or Clockwork to see if they'll take the file? What thread are you referring to with regard to where you got the 2.1-update1?

Sorry that's not more help yet... If you've already taken the phone back, and a new one is already on the way, you're *probably* fine anyway.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Only thing I can think of is a corrupted download.

good luck