Unlimited data dead. How much data do you use a month?

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I can take out half a gig within an hour...Google Music is demanding lol if I start trying to work out its kinks and glitches. I think I stand at anywhere from 1-5 gigabytes a month, no tethering whatsoever(Only time I did was to test if the thing worked...literally used 5kb):laugh:. I think usually around 3gigs though, due to videos, youtube, and music.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Anywhere from 2 to 6. So a limit of two SUCKS!

And I consider myself a normal user.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
From what I've read at droid life, if we already have unlimited data then were fine even when we upgrade, and there's no difference between 3g and 4g. The new tiered data will apply for new customers and I believe new lines.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

YvesSaintYuki

Reaction score
I checked my data usage last month and I only used 0.247, I'm heavy on data usage Netflix when my girlfriend is watching it on tv, heavy internet, downloading, you name it I do it.. But I'm also always on wifi 95% of the time unless in going to the store or at work.. Other than that I'm in the house on wifi..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Asphyx

Reaction score
If you already have unlimited it will not go away, be capped or terminated at the end of your contract.

Too much hysteria...

Only if you upgrade from 3G to 4G will you lose it as they will cancel the old 3G unlimited contract and make you get a new 4G tiered contract.

So if you really want to keep it and don't have 4G yet you better get cracking on getting one and upgrading before the unlimited contract goes away so your grandfathered in with unlimited data until 5G comes out.

y0manda

Reaction score
1 GB/month when it was unlimited, now i am going to use 30 gb/ month just to piss them off.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
"They can't put caps on people with contracts"

If that's really the case then how do i raise a dispute to Verizon properly?

I do use wireless tether a lot. I am a fanatic about getting to work early in the morning so i bring my laptop and browse using wireless tether for an hour or so monday through friday. Lately the tethering starts off working fine but about 2 minutes in, my androidtether network goes from internet to local only with no internet. I can only assume that this is happening because my account is being capped.

So again, if my current contract says unlimited data and now all of the sudden im being capped, how do i go about escalating my concerns to Verizon without getting in trouble for using wireless tether?

Thanks,
David

This question has been discussed ad nauseum. It *IS* part of your contract that you can't use the unlimited data for tethering. You signed it. The unlimited data is FOR YOUR PHONE ONLY, and if you want to use the data connection as a mobile hot spot, there's an additional charge. If you didn't read your contract, that's on you.

That said, occasionally I will tether, but I still keep my monthly usage under about 3GB. However, I at least can own up to the fact that my tethering is a breach of contract, and if I find myself being throttled or capped, it's my own fault.

Would I like for the unlimited plan to cover tethering? Of course. Do I think Verizon is greedy? Absolutely. But I willingly agreed to the contract, so there's no use in complaining.

Last edited:

Swis21

Reaction score
I think its just a phone and we should all be great to be able to do all the things on such a device rather than complain about not being able to live on our phones instead of living life

patfactorx

Reaction score
I use 3gbs a month and that # is going up.

OP
I

IAm

Reaction score
I watched three hours of you tube last night and that used 4.4 gb of data. Everything about my smartphone uses data.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Three hours of YouTube should not use anywhere near 4gigs of data. Pretty sure you are mistaken.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uh hello, have any of you bothered actually talking to Verizon and asking them about this??? I did and they said
If you have unlimited data now you will keep your unlimited data plan when upgrading, even upgrading to a 4g phone you will keep unlimited data- vzw online chat assistance

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I'm honestly shocked by all this.

I mean, how do I put it.

(I'm not on VZW, by the way.)

First, I prefer using Youtube when there's wifi, just to avoid lag and stutter.
Second, with all the apps I use, I rarely break the 25MB (yes, MB) per day.
Third, my carrier here charges me $7/mo for a 30MB/day data access plan (after 30MB it's 64kbps throttling).

Even back at home in Japan I rarely use over 50MB per day.

When I hear about people using over 4GB on a smartphone in a single day… well I'm just surprised. I thought it's a smartphone so I used it for stuff like Foursquare, Twitter, Google+, and Maps…

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
That's because you use your phone as intended and not as your own personal ISP like some of these guys.

end of line...