Unbricking Your Droid X

parkbsu

Reaction score
I unfortunately ran into this problem last night...

To start off, I used EasyRoot to root the phone, installed Koush's bootstrapper and ROM Manager (all on 2.1). I then booted into recovery and made a backup of the system, just in case I needed to back out of the 2.2 install. Once the backup was finished, I used the recovery to install the ROM Manager version of the 2.2 update.zip file. Everything worked fine - 2.2 came up, played around with it for a while, but then let my wife have her phone back... The Swype keyboard changed colors/themes and the 2.1 version and the size of the DX screen were the major reasons for getting the phone (vision problems).

So, after having my 5 minutes of joy with 2.2 on the X, I decided to revert back to 2.1. I rebooted into CM recovery, and foolishly tried to restore. I don't know if a data wipe beforehand would have saved me, but I even forgot to do that (done it a million times on my D1, but forgot for some reason on the X). Then the problems began.

After the restore to 2.1 finished, it rebooted and hung at the M logo - wouldn't go any further. Having read all of the unbrick guides before taking the plunge to 2.2, I went and followed all of the directions to a T. Even had to switch from a Vista machine to XP because of all the damn permissions - RSD Lite and the SBF wouldn't work properly.

Finally got the SBF installed and rebooted the phone...everything came up fine, but then I noticed a "star" in the notification bar. The error said:

"blur service username or password incorrect"

It wanted me to enter a password on a screen with the phones ESN/MEID as an email address (I think the rest was @svc.moto.com or something along those lines. I rebooted. Same thing. Rebooted again, same thing.

Each time I tried the OTA activation (#228, 1 and #22899) - the phone activated fine, but eventually I saw the blur error.

Then I decided to go ahead and do a factory reset (via the Settings - Privacy) interface. Phone rebooted - all was well, until I started getting random reboots. My wife or I can be swiping on the screen - lock and spontaneously reboot. Or browsing the web - lock and reboot. So far it has happened at least a half dozen times.

Honestly at a loss now - I'm unrooted, stock apps, nothing fancy. I'm hoping to take it back to Costco (where we got it) and see if they'll give us a new one...

Anyone else have anything remotely similar? Or have any idea if there's anything that can be done at this point besides returning it? Will they know what I've done or has the SBF flash basically wiped away all of the evidence of my screw ups?

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading the novel of a post, and if you have any suggestions, thanks for those too.

And thank you to all of the people that worked on providing the SBF last night - without that I would have been hosed. It is much appreciated.

Just letting everyone know that I also tried to flash the 2.1 SBF after updating to 2.2 and ran into the deathly droid eye, but managed to semi-fix it.

Luckily I still had the update.zip from 2.2 on my SD card and I simply booted into recovery and reflashed that and I'm at least back to 2.2.

At least your phone will work again. :)

I had rooted 2.2. Then I used clockwork mod to restore a nandroid backup from 2.1 and phone wouldn't boot. Battery died in middle of SBF and got code corrupt error. Will try SBF again with full battery but have no idea what will happen. I do have update.zip with froyo in case I need to try to appy that again immediately

yeah, (as you now know) you can't do that. nandroids from 2.1 are incompatible with 2.2, and vice versa. Even though there is just a .1 difference between the OS name, they are completely different beasts in terms of how the files interact with one another. Especially since 2.1 is deodexed and 2.2 is odexed.

HackerCity

Reaction score
Where can I get this pst_flash.ini file? Where can I get RSDlite 4.7 and this patch? I have the .sbf file

HackerCity

Reaction score
Getting an error using RSD lite. tells me phone is not compatible with multi user super file. I have installed drivers but ADB driver failed.

Anyone....

Gulfstrum

Reaction score
So I was finally able to unbrick my phone - yeah... However, it appears to me that 3G is messed up or something. Used to have rock solid signal, now it locks up, I reboot the phone and works for a while. Go back and it doesn't work til I reboot again. Anyone else experiencing this or know of a fix? Do I need to do anything else beside 228?

Seano

Reaction score
I unfortunately ran into this problem last night...

To start off, I used EasyRoot to root the phone, installed Koush's bootstrapper and ROM Manager (all on 2.1). I then booted into recovery and made a backup of the system, just in case I needed to back out of the 2.2 install. Once the backup was finished, I used the recovery to install the ROM Manager version of the 2.2 update.zip file. Everything worked fine - 2.2 came up, played around with it for a while, but then let my wife have her phone back... The Swype keyboard changed colors/themes and the 2.1 version and the size of the DX screen were the major reasons for getting the phone (vision problems).

So, after having my 5 minutes of joy with 2.2 on the X, I decided to revert back to 2.1. I rebooted into CM recovery, and foolishly tried to restore. I don't know if a data wipe beforehand would have saved me, but I even forgot to do that (done it a million times on my D1, but forgot for some reason on the X). Then the problems began.

After the restore to 2.1 finished, it rebooted and hung at the M logo - wouldn't go any further. Having read all of the unbrick guides before taking the plunge to 2.2, I went and followed all of the directions to a T. Even had to switch from a Vista machine to XP because of all the damn permissions - RSD Lite and the SBF wouldn't work properly.

Finally got the SBF installed and rebooted the phone...everything came up fine, but then I noticed a "star" in the notification bar. The error said:

"blur service username or password incorrect"

It wanted me to enter a password on a screen with the phones ESN/MEID as an email address (I think the rest was @svc.moto.com or something along those lines. I rebooted. Same thing. Rebooted again, same thing.

Each time I tried the OTA activation (#228, 1 and #22899) - the phone activated fine, but eventually I saw the blur error.

Then I decided to go ahead and do a factory reset (via the Settings - Privacy) interface. Phone rebooted - all was well, until I started getting random reboots. My wife or I can be swiping on the screen - lock and spontaneously reboot. Or browsing the web - lock and reboot. So far it has happened at least a half dozen times.

Honestly at a loss now - I'm unrooted, stock apps, nothing fancy. I'm hoping to take it back to Costco (where we got it) and see if they'll give us a new one...

Anyone else have anything remotely similar? Or have any idea if there's anything that can be done at this point besides returning it? Will they know what I've done or has the SBF flash basically wiped away all of the evidence of my screw ups?

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading the novel of a post, and if you have any suggestions, thanks for those too.

And thank you to all of the people that worked on providing the SBF last night - without that I would have been hosed. It is much appreciated.

I had rooted 2.2. Then I used clockwork mod to restore a nandroid backup from 2.1 and phone wouldn't boot. Battery died in middle of SBF and got code corrupt error. Will try SBF again with full battery but have no idea what will happen. I do have update.zip with froyo in case I need to try to appy that again immediately

yeah, (as you now know) you can't do that. nandroids from 2.1 are incompatible with 2.2, and vice versa. Even though there is just a .1 difference between the OS name, they are completely different beasts in terms of how the files interact with one another. Especially since 2.1 is deodexed and 2.2 is odexed.

i got this same blur error. i didnt notice anything working incorrectly though that error just kept popping up. i eventually reinstalled froyo and the error stopped.

steeleshark2

Reaction score
"So I was finally able to unbrick my phone - yeah... However, it appears to me that 3G is messed up or something. Used to have rock solid signal, now it locks up, I reboot the phone and works for a while. Go back and it doesn't work til I reboot again. Anyone else experiencing this or know of a fix? Do I need to do anything else beside 228?"

Try *228. If that doesnt work, try Factory reset to get 3G going. Its hit and miss to see if it fixes it after the loop.

Last edited:

lschmitt

Reaction score
I have a real problem here that I can't figure out. My computer will not even recognize my droid X when I plug it into the computer. I have downloaded all the drivers and have the phone in bootload mode when I plug the phone into the USB. I also have RSD Lite running with the .sbf file ready to roll. My device is nowhere to be found. Any ideas what I need to do? My phone is bricked and only goes as far as the Motorola "M." I never get to the Droid eye. What is going on here? DO I need the SDK installed as well? Someone please help me out here.

kdkinc

Reaction score
I have a real problem here that I can't figure out. My computer will not even recognize my droid X when I plug it into the computer. I have downloaded all the drivers and have the phone in bootload mode when I plug the phone into the USB. I also have RSD Lite running with the .sbf file ready to roll. My device is nowhere to be found. Any ideas what I need to do? My phone is bricked and only goes as far as the Motorola "M." I never get to the Droid eye. What is going on here? DO I need the SDK installed as well? Someone please help me out here.

Change USB ports That simple trick helped me on past flash in a W/M phone.

Ps if you got the M its not "bricked" its just sick

lschmitt

Reaction score

Change USB ports That simple trick helped me on past flash in a W/M phone.

Ps if you got the M its not "bricked" its just sick

Thanks. I got it to work now. Everytime I try to flash, it goes through some proccess and then gives me an error about the phone not being compatible. I've been looking for answers to this but haven't found one that really tells me what to do next. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it?

holaratcha

Reaction score
I'm in a pinch now for sure and need a wizard, after rsd lite 4.7 w patch installed everything was perfect and finished the flash. Now I am stuck in boot loader mode. Even when I hold (home + power) cannot get intonrecovery or red eye flashing mode.

My boot loader screen says
Bootloader 30.01
Err:a5,69,35,00,27

Wizard.... Where are you?

I happened upon this process after I was on 2.1update1 and downloaded direct to droid x a stock 2.2 update.zip file and became stuck on moto logo.

lschmitt

Reaction score
OK, I figured it out. I had to replace the pst_flash file in the RSDLite folder with the one that was in the download folder for RSDLite. There are not the same files. I just copied and replaced it. It then worked first time.

Thanks everyone for this thread!!

kdkinc

Reaction score
I'm in a pinch now for sure and need a wizard, after rsd lite 4.7 w patch installed everything was perfect and finished the flash. Now I am stuck in boot loader mode. Even when I hold (home + power) cannot get intonrecovery or red eye flashing mode.

Bootloader 30.01

I happened upon this process after I was on 2.1update1 and downloaded direct to droid x a stock 2.2 update.zip file and became stuck on moto logo.

Ischmitt's problem fix may be of help to you,

vzwtek

Reaction score

Bootloader 30.01

Ischmitt's problem fix may be of help to you,

Or you could take it to a store location who could unbrick it and then you can just reflash 2.2.

holaratcha

Reaction score
Verizon

My concern is that since my phone was rooted 2.1update1 that Verizon will charge me for the update that I was putting on the phone? Hence I am scouring trying to fix on my own.

I tried to replace the Flash file with updated one which I was very careful in beginning to ensure I was using correct Flash file in RSD. Still no go.

the phone goes through entire RSD process and says PASS upon completion, but my screen still only loads to either Motorola screen or Bootloader screen. and says
ERR: A5, 69, 35, 00, 27
battery ok
ok to program
connect usb
data cable

thx in advance for help everyone.