Unbricking Your Droid X

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
I made a dumb mistake and flashed liberty 0.8 over 0.7 without a wipe and now after the phone boots all these error messages come up and wont go away. I can't get past them. I tried to boot into recovery mode by pulling the batt and then holding the power and home key but it just boots the phone like usual. Am I missing something here.

ClassickWorld

Reaction score
i'm not if anyone has had the same issue but I had the whole "currupt code" issue along with the low battery. I tried the MacGyver technique and it worked, but i think it totally messed up my phone. Now my phone will not charge. It just has a question mark inside the battery indicator. No signs of it charging, and when i hook it up to a power source is says invalid.

I got a new battery from the verizon store and nothing :( still the same issue. I guess i'm pretty much screwed...and its not under any type of warranty.

Check your private messages, I sent you one to try to help. I also changed the guide a little bit to try to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

And rangerwolf, your problem has stumped me as well. I'll try to help in any way that I can and if I think of something I'll let you know.

I am having the SAME issue. Any fix?

Antiapplekid

Reaction score
Thanks

I just wanted to thank you for this I was panicking about my phone but I found this and it helped my get my phone back so I registered on this site just to say thanks you saved me

manfromnc

Reaction score
I will be going through to edit and update this guide soon so it stays current. Please be patient though because I have a busy schedule :) - Posted on 1/30/11
Recently updated on 2/10/11

Note to anyone using this to switch back to 2.1 from the leaked 2.2: you will most likely have to factory reset in order for the flash to work. Flashing 2.1 overtop of 2.2 didn't work for me and it's probably because of 2.2 being a more recent release. After you factory reset, follow the instructions on how flash the SBF in the Infinite Boot Loop section. You will need to reactivate after the phone is up and running again, which can be dialing *228 if the phone doesn't do it automatically.
Update: Some people have reported being able to flash back to 2.1 from 2.2 without a factory reset. If you would like to try this, follow the steps below on how to flash the SBF. After that, try pulling the battery a couple times until the device fully boots up. Some people have said they had to do it 3+ times.

Okay, I've been on these forums for a couple weeks or so and I haven't noticed anybody putting together an in-depth guide on unbricking the Droid X. With all the new theme mods and such coming out, the likelihood of you bricking your Droid X at least once is increasing greatly. I figured since I recently bricked mine to the farthest point of bricking and was still able to revive it, it would be easier to help save people some time and throw together all of the methods that I've found on how to unbrick your amazing phone. So here it goes:

Errors and Bootloops after Switching ROM's or Firmware
Some Info
If you have recently tried to switch ROM's or tried to change software version (e.g. switching back and forth between 2.3.15 and 2.3.34) you may encounter a bootloop or an error in the bootloader menu. From what I understand, this is due to changes in system files that may not be applied right, specifically if you are switching between ROM's with different source code bases. For this reason, the files need to be cleared so that there are no conflicts.
Symptoms
Bootlooping at Motorola logo (or custom logo if one is installed) or errors at bootloader screen
How to Fix
This should work about 99% of the time:

1. Reboot your phone into recovery mode by turning off the phone or pulling the battery and then holding the power button and home button down. When the triangle appears on-screen, press the search button (if you boot into clockwork recovery, you won't need to press the search button).

2. Clear the data and cache - basically you want to factory reset your phone. This will get rid of any conflicts with system files.

3. Reboot into the Bootloader menu (hold down power + volume down + camera) and use RSD Lite to flash your SBF (see instructions below if you don't know how to do that).

4. After the SBF has been applied, you should now be able to install your ROM without problems.

Thanks to jainer123 for reminding me to put this in!

The Infinite Boot Loop
Some Info
This is usually the first stage of bricking that you'll come across. If you mess with a system file or anything like that, it will prevent the Droid from being able to load all of the files for startup and will thus just keep on trying to reboot itself.
Symptoms
Kind of obvious to tell but nevertheless the symptoms you'll notice are that your Droid will never be able to boot up fully, it will display the Droid Eye animated boot screen for a few minutes and then will reboot, going straight back to the eye.
How to Fix
Before I get into the fixing part let me be clear on one thing: there is a difference between the recovery menu and the bootloader menu. This is important because your computer will not be able to recognize your phone when it's in the recovery mode (trust me, I probably wasted a couple hours realizing this ;) ). Here is the step by step guide for Windows to reflashing the .sbf on your phone to fix the loop (couple things to note, this was taken straight from here but with added notes from me, and this works on Windows 7 64bit for anybody who thinks differently, I used it on my 7 64bit computer and it worked fine):

1. Download these files:
32 Bit and 64 Bit Drivers (thanks for the heads-up, akappy332; didn't know the drivers were online the whole time :))​
SBF File (this has been removed. You can find this file by Googling "Droid X SBF")
Credit to MyDroidWorld for RSD Lite.
SBF INSTRUCTIONS: Install the RSDLite 4.8 program by double clicking on the program.
Move the pst_flash.ini file into the following folder --> Program Files/Motorola/RSDLite​
Note: It is important that you move the file to the correct folder other wise this WILL NOT WORK! I recommend copying it over twice to be sure. When is asks you if you would like to overwrite the file, make sure the new and old file sizes are the same when copying for the second time.

2. Install the drivers that apply to your Operating System.

3. Unzip the SBF into a folder.
Note: I read somewhere that it works best if you unzip it straight into the C:\ folder so that's what I did, but I'm not sure if it made a difference.

4. Open RSD Lite and find the UNZIPPED SBF
Note: When opening RSD Lite, use "Shift + Right Click" and select "Run as administrator". Some people have reported that this helps bypass some firewall in the newer Windows operating systems. If you are in XP or anything older, don't worry about doing this. Also, in order for the program to see your phone you may need to go into RSD Lite, go to "Config" and then select "DeviceID Options". A window will open and you'll want to make sure that the option "First Come-First Serve DeviceId Mode" is selected. After you do that, hit "Okay" and restart the program.

5. Put your Motorola Droid X in bootloader mode. Now connect the Droid X via usb.
Note: Bootloader Mode is accessed by first powering down the phone. Then, hold down the camera button, volume decrease button, and power button. This should bring you to a completely black screen with white text on it.​

6. Click start and sit back.
Note: Make sure that your battery is at least 50% charged when doing this and do not disconnect the phone while it is reflashing. Doing so will cause you to get into a bricked mode that is a pain in the ass to get out of, but still possible. More details on that later.

If you are using the Linux operating system, please refer to here for instructions.
If you have any problems when going through these steps, please go through them at least twice and heed the notes that I wrote in between. If you still have questions, please feel free to ask and you will have a whole forum of people willing to help you out :)

"Code Corrupt" Error
Some Info
Chances are that if you are getting this error, you probably tried to reflash the .sbf and something went awry (for me it was that I only waited to charge the battery for 10% :p).
Symptoms
You'll know your at this screen because, well, you'll be scared to death for your phone. This screen looks like the bootloader screen but it says "Code Corrupt" on it. If the screen says that your battery is okay and RSD Lite can still see it when you connect it to your computer, scroll up to The Infinite Boot Loop and go to the section How to Fix in order to fix the error.
How to Fix
One thing that you may notice is that when you have this error, your phone will not charge the battery and you'll only be able to see the screen turn on if its plugged into the wall. Somewhere on the screen it will say "Your Battery is Low" and "Cannot Reprogram" or something like that. The easiest way to get through this is to find a friend with a charged battery or go to your local Verizon store and see if they have a demo phone they can use to charge your battery. If you're like me though you will not be lucky in any sense like this so you will have to find the MacGyver inside of you and get a little creative. What you need for this is an old USB cord. One end must be a standard USB cable head and the other can pretty much be anything. Once you have that, follow these steps:

NOTE: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO ANY PHONE, BATTERY, ETC. FOLLOW THESE STEPS WITH CAUTION TO AVOID RISK OF DAMAGE.

1. Take your cable and cut off one of the ends, leaving a standard USB plug at the opposite end to plug into your computer.

2. Now you need to strip about and inch of the wire off until you get to the core where you should see 4 colored wires (red, black, white, and green). The colors don't really matter and they may vary, just as long as you can see a red wire and a black wire.

3. Strip off about a quarter inch of the rubber sleeving on the red and black cables, exposing the actual metal wire.

4. Twist the metal strands of each of the wires a couple of times so that all of the wires from the black cable are together and all of the wires from the red cable are together. This is just to make sure that you don't create a short circuit.

5. Here's where it gets a little tricky. You are going to use this cable to make the phone think the battery is fully charged, when in fact you will just be powering the phone using the power from the USB port. Pull out the battery on your phone and find the 4 exposed metal slots (the battery terminals).

6. Each of the far terminals should be labeled with a plus (+) or a minus (-). What you need to do is put exposed leads on the red wire up to the positive terminal and the leads of the black wire up to the negative terminal.

Note: As tested by parm289, you can skip steps 7 & 8 and just use the cable to charge the battery if you'd like. He recommends allowing it to charge for 6-7 minutes before placing it back into the phone. Thanks parm!

TRY THIS BEFORE TRYING STEPS 7 & 8 BECAUSE IF YOU SCREW UP ON STEPS 7 & 8 YOU WILL RUIN YOUR PHONE

7. While still holding the leads on their respective terminals, slide the battery back into place in the phone. MAKE SURE THE WIRES ARE NOT TOUCHING WHEN YOU PUT THE BATTERY INTO THE PHONE! BAD THINGS COULD HAPPEN ONCE YOU PLUG THE CORD INTO THE COMPUTER!

8. Once the battery is in place and the wires are on the correct terminals but not touching each other, plug the USB cord into the computer. If all has gone as it should, the screen on your phone should come on (may have to press the power button) and the phone should be telling you that the battery charge is okay and that it is okay to program. YAY! Your phone is almost back to normal!

9. Go back up to the previous section in this post that tells you how to reflash the .sbf and follow all of the instructions there. Once that has finished flashing the .sbf to your phone, your phone should be back to working order! You will most likely have to redo the entire setup on your phone but at least your phone is no longer a fancy paperweight dancedroid

Thanks to some help from other members of this forum, we have found out that you will need to reprogram your phone after flashing the .sbf if you didn't do a factory reset. This can be done by calling Verizon Wireless' toll free number (1.800.295.1614 Monday–Friday, 7AM–11PM EST - United States) and having them reactivate your phone. However, if you do a factory reset your phone will be able to reactivate itself but all the apps on your phone will be lost. Everything on your memory card should still be intact though so you may be able to reinstall your apps from that.

Here are some more tips from some members of this forum. Too lazy to format their advice straight into the guide so I'ma quote them instead :)

Special Thanks goes out to RootzWiki for the instructions and to Phoxus for finding the .sbf file and making it possible to revive our phones!

This is everything I know about fixing a bricked Droid and if anybody sees a typo or would like to add something, please feel free to post the addendum here or PM me and I'll be sure to add it to the guide! I would like to see this stickied so that nobody has to worry about a bricked Droid X! dancedroid

Please do not PM me asking for help on specific problems, only ask for the SBF. I'm not trying to sound rude but I don't have the time to fix individual problems, I barely have the time to check my private messages every night and send out the SBF. Thanks to everyone who is helping out other forum members in solving their problems, I appreciate the help.

I know this post is over a year old...But, it just saved my Droid X (and me)...XLiveWire is a Genius...As with all the great people on this forum they have saved me many times..Everytime I think I know a lot about the Droid X, I find just how much of a Newbie I am...Again, Thanks much!!!!....

OP
X

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
I know this post is over a year old...But, it just saved my Droid X (and me)...XLiveWire is a Genius...As with all the great people on this forum they have saved me many times..Everytime I think I know a lot about the Droid X, I find just how much of a Newbie I am...Again, Thanks much!!!!....

I'm glad to see that people are still getting use out of this!! I'll have to go through this guide again soon to see if I need to update anything. And I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment here or PM me to thank me, it really means a lot guys!!!

cdhoward32

Reaction score
i tried to put liquid 2.6 on my droid x through rom manger and now my phone is stuck on the red motorola sign i was running rooted gingerbread .602 can anyone tell how to fix this

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
i tried to put liquid 2.6 on my droid x through rom manger and now my phone is stuck on the red motorola sign i was running rooted gingerbread .602 can anyone tell how to fix this

You can't install Liquid over GB. It has to be on Froyo. The only way to fix your issue is to sbf. Use the links in my signature.

random rom'd X

bkcugs24

Reaction score
Program Req'd MEM Map Problem. PLEASE HELP

I was running unrooted GB at its most updated version and tried to downgrade back to froyo to root. Im not very familiar with flashing ROMS ect. I had the everlasting loop problem where my bootloader screen was the only screen I could get into. power+home and down+camera+power didnt work either. I followed the directions above with Droid X sbf and RSD lite. Once it completed, bootloader said

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd

My battery is charged and its okay to program...
I really think I need some help with this because i thought i followed the steps listed above correctly. The only thing i had trouble trying to figure out was the moving the .ini file to C:...location. could that have been my problem or am I way off? I had both the entire RSDlite file and the SBD froyo file in the C: drive but I have no idea where to find the .ini file to move it.

very grateful for you brilliant people out there to help on this one.

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You used the wrong SBF file. Reflash using the full 2.3.340 or 4.5.596 or 4.5.602.

bkcugs24

Reaction score
flashed full version. noww another problem

You used the wrong SBF file. Reflash using the full 2.3.340 or 4.5.596 or 4.5.602.

okay thanks that got me one step closer. I flashed the full 2.3.340 version via RSD and it nolonger goes to MEM_MAP missing ect. At the end of my flash, there was no reboot. I am stuck in SW update In progress... I tried flashing more than once. same problem. Ended up pulling the battery and Im looking for the new answer to my problem.

anyone have concrete answer?

Thanks so much for your help!

gossf

Reaction score
Not recognising battery after fix applied

Hi, i had used this fix a couple times when I needed to charge a corrupted phone. I was able to do this fine without any problems, until recently. this time, i left the cables in while sbfing and when I booted, it was unable to recognise my stock battery, this it can not charge, also, the phone randomly shuts down and enter cool down mode, when the phone is at a normal tempurature. Is this a problem with my device, and will I require a new one? or is it as simple as a battery replacement. Any help would be appreaciated.

kamatashy

Reaction score
Hello,im trying to unbrick my droid X, since is just stuck on the moto screen... it does not boot loop or anything... I wiped the data and still did nothing... so my hope is all in this post but my problem is that the RSDlite does not want to pick up the file SBF file... (VRZ_MB810_4.5.605_1FF_01.sbf\VRZ_MB810_4.5.605_1FF_01.sbf) i tryed uninstalling the program and the drivers and still doesn't show any text on the right side box... please if anyone had this problem... i need help!!! :hail:

Last edited:

clueless77

Reaction score
Hello,im trying to unbrick my droid X, since is just stuck on the moto screen... it does not boot loop or anything... I wiped the data and still did nothing... so my hope is all in this post but my problem is that the RSDlite does not want to pick up the file SBF file... (VRZ_MB810_4.5.605_1FF_01.sbf\VRZ_MB810_4.5.605_1FF_01.sbf) i tryed uninstalling the program and the drivers and still doesn't show any text on the right side box... please if anyone had this problem... i need help!!! :hail:
I would try starting a new thread as so much has changed on the X since this thread was started. Also do you recall what system version you were on before becoming bricked?

kamatashy

Reaction score
I would try starting a new thread as so much has changed on the X since this thread was started. Also do you recall what system version you were on before becoming bricked?

this tread it did help... I was already running on the liquid ICS and try to install the clockwork and thats when it messed up... i finally found the file for my phone... (1FF-p3a_shadow_cdma_shadow-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DX8-51-120111-test-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf) it flashed very well... and im getting started again.. my phone is working.. dancedroid