Unbricking Your Droid X

airbutchie

Reaction score
I basically went through the same situation. The flash most likely went through. I just manually rebooted the phone since it was already on. Though i did to a factory reset right after the flash and my phone was well... out of the box. Interestingly enough, the flash didn't fix my problem in the first place which was my home screen being completely black. I dont really know. I'm just happy its fixed.

I'm in this exact situation... Firmware update went through just fine... 100% complete... RSD Lite asked to "manually boot the DX", but it was "on" already (had the Motorola logo on the screen)... So what I did was close the RSD Lite app and unplug the USB cable from the phone... The Motorola Logo was still present on the DX screen... I tried to shut the phone down by holding the off/on switch, but it won't power down...

I eventually removed the phone battery to turn it off... Then I tried the factory reset procedure (power button + home key) and it turned on and showed the Motorola logo once again... It's been about 10 minutes and nothing has changed... Motorola logo is still showing and if I try to shut the phone down, it won't (unless I remove the battery again)....

Any clues of what I'm doing wrong? The firmware flash seemed to go through just fine (had 100% completion message), but my problem is the reboot... The Motorola logo is still present and I can't do anything else...

MORE HELP PLEASE!!!

- airbutchie :(

tony1208

Reaction score
Well, I've got wonderful news for both of us, freebird_78:

Boot your phone into recovery mode (by holding the power button and the home button simultaneously, then pressing the search button when the Android image appears).
Perform a data wipe / factory reset, let it work its magic, then reboot your phone.

Now, you just need to reactivate your phone!

You SAVED my ass lol I flashed the sbf file and was in bootloob heaven lol
i was about to freak out until i saw your post haha and it worked

Losheau

Reaction score
If the *228 option doesn't work. What else should I do to get my 3G back?

66racer

Reaction score
fancy paperweight

Hello, I need help big time

I tried 2.2 prerelease, had issues on that install but it eventually booted. Well, when I would power down, it wouldnt boot again unless i went into recovery and reset, then powered on off a few times. But it would boot.

Decided to go back to 2.1 and did the directions EXACALLY and got the SBF from the link in your post as to where you got your steps.

Did everything, battery was 100% before starting, enters bootloader everytime but 3 times RSD runs through and at the very end it says booting, and when it hits 100% says turn device manually on, but at this point its already in the endless eye pattern. Still says in progress but its stuck, so i remove phone and start over. Im on win7 32bit and also started program with admin privilages.

Any ideas? Luckily I have an aftermarket insurance but if I can get this working I would love to not pay the $50-75 charge lol

Pracis

Reaction score
BLah.. I've been trying for the past few hours.

I can't even get rsdlite 4.7 to recognize my droidx when I plug it in.

I've reinstalled the 64 bit drivers (using windows 7 ultimate) and uninstall motoconnect, and reinstalled it.

When in recovery mode, I plug in the phone and it just sits there. I've copied pst_flash.ini a few times now and I'm still not getting it to work.

Nemock

Reaction score

I tried 2.2 prerelease, had issues on that install but it eventually booted. Well, when I would power down, it wouldnt boot again unless i went into recovery and reset, then powered on off a few times. But it would boot.

Decided to go back to 2.1 and did the directions EXACALLY and got the SBF from the link in your post as to where you got your steps.

Did everything, battery was 100% before starting, enters bootloader everytime but 3 times RSD runs through and at the very end it says booting, and when it hits 100% says turn device manually on, but at this point its already in the endless eye pattern. Still says in progress but its stuck, so i remove phone and start over. Im on win7 32bit and also started program with admin privilages.

Any ideas? Luckily I have an aftermarket insurance but if I can get this working I would love to not pay the $50-75 charge lol

When it hangs at the eye, as it did with mine, I let it sit, then I either pressed or pressed and held the power button. Give that a try.

msburr87

Reaction score
I am doing everything correctly but I end up just getting.. FAIL phone not compatible

Nemock

Reaction score
I am doing everything correctly but I end up just getting.. FAIL phone not compatible

Read the instructions again. There is a note where you need to patch a file to the rsd folder to make it work correctly.

airbutchie

Reaction score

When it hangs at the eye, as it did with mine, I let it sit, then I either pressed or pressed and held the power button. Give that a try.

In my situation, I never got the Droid Eye... I'm stuck at the Motorola (Circled M) Logo on the screen...

validoption

Reaction score
It's been said that flashing the SBF through linux is preferred and less problematic. Going to give that a go; keep you posted.

kellex

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just letting everyone know that I also tried to flash the 2.1 SBF after updating to 2.2 and ran into the deathly droid eye, but managed to semi-fix it.

Luckily I still had the update.zip from 2.2 on my SD card and I simply booted into recovery and reflashed that and I'm at least back to 2.2.

At least your phone will work again. :)

droidemperor

Reaction score
I got the code corrupt error because of low battery. Tried the macgyver solution and failed. Went to VZW and they only tried to sell me a battery and tell me DroidX couldn't be rooted *cough* bull****. Best buy mobile came through and is charging my battery for me as I speak! I am on an iPad at the mall and will try to SBF again with full battery

droidemperor

Reaction score
Just letting everyone know that I also tried to flash the 2.1 SBF after updating to 2.2 and ran into the deathly droid eye, but managed to semi-fix it.

Luckily I still had the update.zip from 2.2 on my SD card and I simply booted into recovery and reflashed that and I'm at least back to 2.2.

I had rooted 2.2. Then I used clockwork mod to restore a nandroid backup from 2.1 and phone wouldn't boot. Battery died in middle of SBF and got code corrupt error. Will try SBF again with full battery but have no idea what will happen. I do have update.zip with froyo in case I need to try to appy that again immediately

validoption

Reaction score

I had rooted 2.2. Then I used clockwork mod to restore a nandroid backup from 2.1 and phone wouldn't boot. Battery died in middle of SBF and got code corrupt error. Will try SBF again with full battery but have no idea what will happen. I do have update.zip with froyo in case I need to try to appy that again immediately

yeah, (as you now know) you can't do that. nandroids from 2.1 are incompatible with 2.2, and vice versa. Even though there is just a .1 difference between the OS name, they are completely different beasts in terms of how the files interact with one another. Especially since 2.1 is deodexed and 2.2 is odexed.

OP
X

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
I got the code corrupt error because of low battery. Tried the macgyver solution and failed. Went to VZW and they only tried to sell me a battery and tell me DroidX couldn't be rooted *cough* bull****. Best buy mobile came through and is charging my battery for me as I speak! I am on an iPad at the mall and will try to SBF again with full battery

Good to hear you got your battery charging. When I went to Verizon to see if I could get my battery charged by them, I told the guy everything I did and was like "This is completely my fault". He told me that he didn't care and said he would be more than willing to replace my phone but I'd have to wait for a new shipment to come in, and he couldn't charge the battery because they had no working models in the store. I didn't feel like waiting so I just ghetto-charged it :)
Moral of the story - some verizon people are pretty awesome, others are not