Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
but he asked if he needed to remove bootstrap, before installing safestrap

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Different phone. His old D3 had bootstrap installed, never made the jump to safestrap.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Believe it or not, I think it worked. I think it may have been the anti-virus software all along causing issues. THANKS TO ALL!

My next step is going to be installing safestrap which I have never done. I originally installed bootstrap on the one phone. Can I still install safestrap or is there a process I need to follow to remove bootstrap? THANKS!!!
if bootstrap was never installed, then there is nothing to remove.

Jason R

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I think it worked. I think it may have been the anti-virus software all along causing issues. THANKS TO ALL!

My next step is going to be installing safestrap which I have never done. I originally installed bootstrap on the one phone. Can I still install safestrap or is there a process I need to follow to remove bootstrap? THANKS!!!

If you have cwr you need to undo the bootstrap with the app then install safe strap app and follow a similar process to install twrp recovery so you can have the multi ROM boots up to 5 with stock, but there's not much dev anymore on d3. But if you have put anything on this phone yet then just install the safe strap app.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Actually I did have one of the two phones rooted. Cannot determine how it was lost.So of course once I got root, knowing the phone was not a phone any-longer but a stand alone device (no VZ service any more) I started going nuts in Titanium backup deleting apps. Little risk because I'm not worried even if I trash the phone but I did make what seems to be a dumb mistake.I deleted something related to the Phone thinking "hey, no phone number any more so who cares". Now when I boot up I get an error message saying "The application com.motorola.hiddenmenu (process com.android.phone) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. I think I deleted this com.android.phone app or whatever it is. Whoops. Hope it doesn't screw me up. I'm hoping once I flash a rom on here it will go away.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Thanks! Quick question. The first link doesn't take me anywhere....just to a generic forum page. Can you double check me and send the link?You guys rock!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
ok will fix

edit: should be fixed not sure how I did that
first link is a bookmark link in my Droid 3 page

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
i don't know if google docs is having issues, or i'm not pasting correct
Droid 3 page

yes, the one click is pretty easy

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
OK all...just used the rsdlite method to flash back to stock 5.7.906. Also just rooted using motofail. Both seemed to work and now I'm off to try safestrap. I absolutely LOVE doing this risk free since it's a throw away device. I really appreciate it! Memorial day will be spent understanding safestrap and flashing roms.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
THX! Doing it now!

I installed safestrap but when I reboot it takes me to a different screen. Was I supposed to install clockwork mod prior to this step? If so, I'll go back and do it I just wasn't sure.

Last edited:

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
you will need to manually install the .apk
Move apk to sd card, navigate to file with phone’s file manager app, tap on it, select install,
you may have to change system settings to allow unknown sources
Menu > Settings > Applications > Unknown sources

Last edited: