Trying to root old droid 3 - not working

Discussion in 'Droid 3 Hacks' started by fishacura, May 19, 2013.

1. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all. New S4 comes this week so I am trying to root an old droid 3 that's no longer using Verizon's service but that I am hoping to play with as a stand alone wifi device.

I am using some of the old one-click methods (including Petes) but none seem to work. It's 2.3.4 and on petes I get a message stating "ERROR: adb could not be granted root access via local.prop method". Not very descriptive. I tried using the motofail files and I get errors like

Unable to chmod /data/local/motofail: No such file or directory

Remount failed: operation not permitted

Failed to copy su to /system/bin/su: Read only file system

It's in USB debugging mode, I have all the drivers, it is set as USB charge only, etc. Not sure why all of a sudden it's not working as the method is the same I used in late 2011 when I rooted mine and nothing should have changed. Anyone have any thoughts on things to take a look at? Very odd!

The only thing I can think of is that it's some sort of driver issue but my device is found by the PC. I was using something from motos site called motohelper_2.0.51_Driver_5.2.0 Maybe that driver is too new as it's not the one I used 18 months ago.
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    According to some great resources (thanks Pete)! Motorola released a patch that closed the ability to root using the old one-click method. ANYONE have any advice? Is it even possible anymore???
  3. chadwick108

chadwick108 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    most all rooting methods require not to be in usb mode try in mtp mode and let me know if you have any luck I think I run into same issue when rooting my D3 ill try and findmynotes on it
  4. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    THX for replying. ALL the D3 methods say to set phone to USB charge only mode but I will try ANYTHING once. What exactly is MTP mode and how do I set my phone to it?

Also, from what I am hearing, sounds like motorola may have closed the back-door which allowed the old one-click root methods. So I'm not even sure if someone came up with a new method after that happened. Man I hope I can figure this out!!
  5. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give it a shot tonight. Cross your fingers and thanks! Odd that there's not more out there on the droid 3. I guess people moved on and moto closed the loophole.
  7. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It should work but if it doesn't I think there might be 1 other possible way. I will dig for it if this doesn't work for you.
  8. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0

Unzipped but at the same time Norton came back with a "TROJAN" warning so I'd be very careful with this one. I actually already had the motofail files but they did not work. Not sure what norton is blocking or if that's part of the file I need but I"m leery to allow it to pass given it's being flagged as a trojan virus.
  9. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Most stuff like this always throws up flags with anti virus, I personally would ignore it. Just my 2 cents on that. I'll double check tomorrow at work to see if I still have the program I used to root mine. I almost positive I haven't deleated it. Have you tried Pete's Motorola root tool? Sorry see you did. I could only get Pete's to work windows 7 just FYI.
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  10. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK I found my girlfriend laptop that I used to root here d3. Its a window 7 and I used Pete's tool version 1.06 and the moto drivers were 2.0.40_driver_4.9.0 hope this helps .

View attachment 63073

View attachment 63074
  11. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I checked over at xda and the link I provided it the recommend way at this time to root d3, there was also a complaint from anti virus but told to ignore it. Good luck, I miss my ol' d3 sometimes lol
  12. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I rooted my droid 3 in the past using Petes and motofail as well. That was about 2 years back. I'm now trying to root my wifes.Here's the issue as I understand it. And I got some of this from none other than Pete himself. That original root method exploited a vulnerability with the D3 that motorola has since closed. So it looks as if nobody has since created a new root method for the D3 that will actually work.The one saving grace I may have is the PC driver. The only thing different now is that moto has much newer drivers. Do you happen to know where I can find your driver version? I'm thinking that perhaps if I use an older driver it may trick it into working. Long shot but you never know. Thanks for all the help!!!
  13. Jason R

Jason R Member

Ratings:
    +0
  14. themib

themib Senior Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid 4 (XT894)
    that will not work on Droid 3 with system version 5.7.906, use MOTOFAIL “Droid 4” by Dan Rosenberg
    it works well, your virus protection may see it as a threat, just disable your virus protection, before trying to open, because it can also interfere with rooting even if there is no pop up

make sure you right-click on the motofail_windows.zip file, extract the files to a folder on your PC, and click the ‘run.bat’ file from that folder

make sure drivers are correct
    Installing Drivers and Driver errors

watch by Tomsgt123

Root using a Mac and Motofail

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  15. fishacura

fishacura Member

Ratings:
    +0

OK I think it might be a driver issue. I uninstalled all motorola files. Then I reinstalled MotoHelper_2.0.40_Driver_4.9.0 This is an older driver but the one I would have used when I had success. I then connected the phone to the PC but it's looking for a driver. Isn't the install of this motohelper the driver??? Why wouldn't it recognize the phone? It says "Found new hardware...adb interface" and asks if I want to install the driver manually. I click yes and look in the motorola folders installed when I ran motohelper but it doesn't let me pick any of the files. Any ideas?

I tried your driver link above but that didn't take me anywhere (just to the forum main page)

EDIT: Got a newer driver installed. Here's the weird thing now. Extracted motofail to its own directory. I run the run.bat file and one of the first errors I get in the dos window is "cannot open motofail...no such file". But then I notice it's in the zip file but NOT in the folder where I extracted everything. For some reason, this file does not extract.

So then I manually extract the file from the .zip called "motofail" but it just creates a folder. So there seems to be no file called motofail that the run.bat file seems to be looking for.

WTF lol! HELP!!!!!
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
Search tags for this page

droid 3 root

droid 3 root 2013
how to root a droid 3

how to root droid 3

how to root motorola droid 3

root droid 3

root droid 3 2013

root droid3

root motorola droid 3