I'm curious about the top 3 reasons everyone got their Droid. Mine would be:

- The app store
- Google navigation
- Having the ability to customize my phone fully

What are yours?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1) because apple care ticked me off; the back and forth with at&t and not fixing my device until after I paid the ETF and left at&t.
2) it was either that or the storm2 (and i was leaning towards the storm 2)
3) at the time the closest thing to the iphone

Now that I have had the device I am glad I bought it; and the reason I love it has nothing to do with why I bought it at the time.

Mojo

Reaction score
Coming from a blackberry I wanted
1. A better user experience. Was tired of the same old blackberry whether it was a curve, tour, or storm.. it was basicly the same phone.

2. The openness of the android platform

3. Its tight intergration with Google. Since every thing I did revolved around Google it only made since to purchase a phone that was a Google experience phone.

tehpriest

Reaction score
To put it very bluntly

1. Because Nokia did not and would not say if they were planning to bring out an updated E90 replacement.

2. It had a reasonable full physical keyboard and big screen.

3. It can be sync'd with my Outlook on the fly

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Verizon made me wait for an exchange of my Storm 2 30 minutes.
2. I picked up a Droid and went WOW!.:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
3. I was in my 30 days and said forget that Storm, I want a Droid.

mec6250

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. contract was up - new every two
2. wanted control ovedr what was on the phone
3. wanted better internet, e-mail, texting than I had on my not so smart phone

EbE404

Reaction score
1. Not on AT&T.

2. Already had iPod Touch and wanted "the best of both worlds".

3. The Droid is a great piece of hardware.

CatsTide

Reaction score
1. i was bored with blackberry
2. droid was the latest greatest
3. couldn't get an iphone(now that i have experienced android probably never will get an iphone)

shmoo

Reaction score
1. I wanted a smartphone.
2. I hate apple and didn't want the iphone
3. Wanted to stick with VZW and their solid service.

Now that I have it I've found so many other reasons to love it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) Primarily because AT&T SUCKS in this area so I had to go to VZW (happily paid the ETF fees to leave)

2) I already used Google for just about everything (email, contacts, docs ect) so thought it would be nice to sync everything w/o an intermediate step/program

3) Weren't any WM phones that I liked at VZW (had they had something similar to the Tilt2 or the H2D I probably would have gone with them)

M

Matth3w

1) VZW has the only 3G network in my area, was already on VZW, and this was their best full screen smart phone

2) I have used the Android system in the past (G1) and liked it.

3) Hardware keyboard

DemonTaoist

Reaction score
1) QWERTY keyboard.
The #1 reason I stood by my Voyager for so long. Touch screen keyboards have always struck me as a giant step backwards in terms of efficiency/functionality.
Ironically, the Droid QWERTY is so disappointingly, uselessly, terrible (I still can't hit the "u" key without hitting 3 other keys...) that I almost always use the touchscreen keyboard anyway ; ;

2)Google. The only brand strong enough to compete with the coolsauce Apple has doused the world with. And since I'm Verizon (always have been and prob always will be), I was thrilled to have an Android option.

3) Apps. I saw a story on CNN about apps like Layar and Goggles last summer and, half paying attention, I didn't realize they were talking about current technology. I thought it was a demo of what was coming in the future. Regardless, the story stuck with me, and when I was up for a new phone, I would even discuss it with people ("one day you will be able to hold up your phone and your camera& gps will show you info about your surroundings through your camera! Isn't that crazy?!). I wanted an Android phone because eventually there will be these mind-blowing apps.

Fast forward to last week when I got my phone. Hung up on how bad the keyboard was, I was very disappointed at first, and had decided I would exchange the Droid for something cheaper. Then I started putzing with apps. Downloaded Layar loaded up the Wiki layer, held up my phone and to my astonishment, it was just like I saw in that news story. I live on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, so I'm surrounded by landmarks. It was a very dramatic introduction to what my phone could do.
And I haven't put my Droid down since. I rue the day that it stops blowing my mind on a daily basis. Rue it!

Brokn68

Reaction score
Not a good experience with wimo phone
contract was up
Verizion's 'best' smartphone

KevinJ

Reaction score
1. My Dad thought it was a cool phone.
2. It was a gift.
3. It was a gift.

So really I never went looking for it. I was happy with my Razr. I still don't go ga-ga over this phone. it's a frackin' phone - that's all it is to me. I use it to make phone calls (must be why I get great battery life:D).

As to the original poster who said the app store was one of his reasons -- personally I would never say that right now. For what i would like to have as apps - none are available for the Android platform, but I can' find all of them for the iPhone. And what's worse, all the developers I've contacted about making their apps available for Android told me that they have no plans to do so. If the iPhone were ever to come to Verizon, I would throw my droid in the river.

SCUBA-GUY

Reaction score
1) The openness - Thinking I may root the phone someday and open up it's full potential.

2) It's not Apple - Nothing against the company but I am so sick of everything being IPhone this or IPod that. Stores have entire aisles devoted to one brand of product. So the DROID appeals to my sense of rebellion. :)

3) Most of my friends and all of my immediate family is on Verizon so switching to them from my unlimited BOOST plan was a logical move for me. Wanted the Navigation app so the total would have been $90 a month. I pay just under $100 for the DROID and the Navigation and tons of other things are free.

Have to add a disclaimer though... I am a little uncomfortable with the amount of trust I and the rest of us are putting into Google. If their intentions are less than noble they could not be doing a better job of setting themselves up to be dominating "evil empire". I know speculation like that is usually received with ridicule but it is definitely something to keep in the back of your mind. I don't really have any major secrets that I am worried about being revealed but I could see people running for office being secretly contacted by a representative of the company saying something like, "Vote this way or your browsing history will be "accidentally" leaked, oh and by the way, we added a few "juicy" sites to the list just to make it interesting."

We hope (and I am sure most expect) they would not do this, but it certainly would be within their ability to do it. You know what they say about power...

Mitch