Why You Should Root your Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree with 1-5. Other then that; its all I use root access for right now. But to add I would say "so that you wont be one of the people on motorolas facebook page cussing them out over an update to get more screens/live wallpapers/ multi touch.

OP
taypotts

taypotts

Reaction score
Haha that's why I made roms number 1 lol

Brokn68

Reaction score
How about a list on why not to root? You know to make the forums fair and balanced and not make them seem to have an elitism stigma to them at times. ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why not to root your phone................:icon_question:

1) Because apple dont want you to
2) because you are too afraid too
3) void warranty
4)will not get the ota unless you unroot
5) so you can complain to motorola about not having more screens/ faster phone/ live wallpapers

Brokn68

Reaction score

1) Because apple dont want you to
2) because you are too afraid too
3) void warranty
4)will not get the ota unless you unroot
5) so you can complain to motorola about not having more screens/ faster phone/ live wallpapers

I don't get #1 since Apple doesn't make Droid, but 2-5 seem like solid reasons.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted this in the Hacks section, but some of you that aren't rooted might not check that part out. Here are my top 10 reasons why should root your droid.

Reviews, Tech Help, Tutorials, and More - Top 10 Reasons to Root Your Droid (Finished)

Let me know your thoughts.

I hope you don't mind, but it's worthy of a cut and paste. If you DO mind, PM me and I'll edit it out. Thanks again. Unless, of course, you're wanting your hit counter to go up. :) :)

10. Cachemate

This is a great app for clearing up that unwanted cache on your phone. Having the ability to clear your cache can help some apps or even your phone run faster and smoother. The newest version will allow you to clear you market seach history. This was the best thing for me. I just have a pet peeve when I can see everything that I have searched for, that I will never need again.
9. Terminal Emulator

With this app you can push, move, or do basically anything from a command prompt form. As long as you know what you are doing, you can really see how this app comes in handy. (You can use this app without root, but it's basically like having the keys to a Porsche that you don't have)
8. AdFree

Seeing ads while you are browsing is never fun, especially when you are on your beloved Droid. With the AdFree app you no longer have to worry about that. Not only does it take away all those pesky adds, but it does help to load your pages faster, which is always a plus in my book.
7. Boot Animation/Gscript

I love having the ability to have a phone that is fully mine from start to finish, literally. Now, you can change your boot animation without root, but believe me is a PAIN to do. Having root, along with Gscript or a file explorer, will cut off some of the work load you have to do. With Gscript you can simply type in the correct command, and then just launch it.
6. Root Explorer

This is another app for rooted phones only. This app will allow you fully explore your phone without the use of a computer. You can do anything from backing up your apps, to changing fille names for certain hacks or mods. This great app will allow you to keep modding your phone even on the go.
5. Wireless Tether

Every been out with your computer, but didn't have a WiFi around to check us out? This free app will solve that problem in a second. You can use your phone as a mobile hotspot to get online on the go. It may not be the fastest connection, but when you are in a pinch I don't think it really matters. Now before you get worried that someone else might mistake your wireless broadcast as an open network, don't! This app allows you to make a secure connection, setting up your own password, so you get the best speeds possible.
Time for the top 4 reasons to root your Droid everyone!
4. Metamorph

When the guys over at Google were designing the look of the UI for the Droid I know they were all thinking of us, and how we wanted it to look right? Wrong! Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great as it is, but I always like to have things look they way I want them too. Metamorph allows you to do this completly. It can be anything from changing the notification panel, to making your browser icon look like Firefox. Metamorph is very simple to use as well, just download the theme you want to use, move to your SD Card, and select it within the app.
3. Overclock

We all know the Droid is snappy out of the box, but then again we all like to speed things up just a bit. With root access you can do that. The Droid is 550 Mhz stock, but with the ability to overclock it can easily go up to 1.2 Ghz! Speeding up your phone may cause some heat issues, but when you are flying through apps, who cares right?
2. Nandroid (sprecovery/clockwork)

Ever made a mistake on your computer only to be breathing a sigh of relief when you find out you had a system restore point created not too long ago? Sprecovery gives you that same sigh of relief with your Droid with the ability to create nandroid backups. You can use these to restore after a new hack didn't go quite as planned. I've been stuck in a boot loop before, but thanks to sprecovery I was out of it in no time. It will also allow you to apply updates to roms, kernels (for overclocking), and simple patches.
Now time for the number 1 reason to root your Droid... Drum roll please.... I said Drum Roll PLEASE.... Screw it... here we go
1. ROM Use

Roms will basically take everything I have stated above and roll it into one big goodie bag. ROMs can combine a number of things such as: pinch to zoom browsers/gallerys, themes, overclocking, ported apps, and many more. ROMs change the way your whole phone operates, and it's always for the better! I know we all were bummed when 2.1 didn't come in January like we had all hoped, but thanks to some devs like Chevy and Pete, we now have a very official (and stable) build. Roms will even give you those live wallpapers, and 5 screens you have seen around, but could never quite figure out how to do. Right now I am running Bugless Beast V0.6 ESE53 Build, this is the most official, stable build I have used, but there are a few others out that may work for you better. The ability to use a ROM was the main reason I rooted. I no longer had to do all the work to get the live wallpapers, or figuring out how to overclock my Droid, and I think you would all agree when you think about it.

KevinJ

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm kind of afraid to. I'm not the savviest tech, and with my current financial situation, if it screws up and "bricks" I can't replace it. I will be without a cell phone.

But the main reason I don't, and it should be on your list...

I don't care. I could care less about "rooting". It's never even entered my mind to try it, think about it, etc. My phone works fine the way it is. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm kind of afraid to. I'm not the savviest tech, and with my current financial situation, if it screws up and "bricks" I can't replace it. I will be without a cell phone.

I don't care. I could care less about "rooting". It's never even entered my mind to try it, think about it, etc. My phone works fine the way it is. :)

I was j/k about afraid. But if you want to root there is just so much info on this forum to get you rooted. I was afraid as well and I am not tech savy at all. I found video guides to help people get rooted. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/25263-seen-some-questions-here-video-droidmod.html

I am not trying to push you to root, that is your decision, but do not decide based on fear. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score

I had those EXACT sentiments.. THANK GOODNESS I was wrong. The droid is now AWESOME not just the best phone going.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If you truly want to root but are afraid there is enough people will talk you through it and are here to help. This forum community is good at that.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score

If you truly want to root but are afraid there is enough people will talk you through it and are here to help. This forum community is good at that.

I'll second that, this is the best forum for help that I've ever been on. And I bet thats 20 or so different ones.

Detonation

Reaction score
Would have been a much better (respectable) article if you left out the root fanboy remarks...

"...for you wanting to make your Droid awesome by Rooting it..."
"...may cause some heat issues, but when you are flying through apps, who cares right?"
"...ROMs change the way your whole phone operates, and it's always for the better!"

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Would have been a much better (respectable) article if you left out the root fanboy remarks...

"...for you wanting to make your Droid awesome by Rooting it..."
"...may cause some heat issues, but when you are flying through apps, who cares right?"
"...ROMs change the way your whole phone operates, and it's always for the better!"

Rooting is one of them things that you are outside with picket signs and throwing rocks until you come in. Then you realize that it is not so bad, it is temp controlled real nice, and before you know it you are on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.