Top 3 Reasons you Got the Droid

sc4fpse

Reaction score
1. My family has Verizon, and the Motorola Droid was one of the first truly impressive phones to come to Verizon.
2. I was previously using a dumb phone, and was ready to dive head first into the smart phone market.
3. It wasn't an iPhone! :)

smokiedabong

Reaction score
1. Because it's Linux and it is the closest mobile OS to Windows Mobile so I can hack the s**t out of it , although I don't have the same freedom I had in WinMo . From all mobile OS I like WinMo the most exept the laggines , my last phone had a 800MHz processor and it was still lagging like hell . Maybe I'll go back to WinMo when they have a dual core phone that can run WinMo without freezing :p
2. It's on Verizon , I had ATT for a year and it sucks
3. The ARM Cortex processor and it's physical keyboard .

th9203

Reaction score
I REALLY like my Droid. Why the switch?

1 - My every two had been skipped for about 3 cycles and I was ready for a new phone. Refused to switch to AT&T just to get the iPhone. Have had bad experience with AT&T coverage in the past while those same areas were fully covered by VZW. Did I mention that I have been with VZW for about 6 years?

2 - I wanted a new toy and boy did I find one with the Droid. Apps galore and more on a daily basis. It has its problems but I think that Google will fix the soft side, Moto will keep coming out with new products and VZW will do what they do best, provide the infrastructure to make it all work.

3 - The physical keyboard and large display sold me on the Droid. I agree with some others above here that the KB is not the best implementation. I am a touch typist (cursed my mother all those years ago for making me learn but thank her every day since I work in a KB skills required industry) but I will be dipped in ugly if I can touch type on this KB. The display still blows me away. I have a BB 8310 that I use for work (no switching allowed) and I have to admit I really do like that KB but I am not going to use that as my personal toy.

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
1 because its jaw dropping sexy.
2 because i hate at&t and every thing to do with the iphone
3 because i wanted a new phone and this was the the best one and still is

i had no idea about rooting, overclock etc when i got it.

OP
taypotts

taypotts

Reaction score
Love the answers let me rephrase it though. What are the top 3 features that made you want to get the Droid? Not Verizon, not that you had an upgrade, etc. Was it the browser? Was it the Google navigation? Was it a certain app? Etc..

smokiedabong

Reaction score
The apps are not features of the phone itself , these are fetures of the Android OS , you can have the same apps on a Nexus 1 or G1

moot

Reaction score
1) Droid was carried on Verizon. I hated AT&T.
2) Google Maps+Navigation.
3) The price. At the time of purchase, the phone was 100 dollars.

Penguissimo

Reaction score
1) I'd been using an iPod Touch for a couple years and was ready to have something with always-on Internet access
2) I'm part of a Verizon family plan and it didn't make sense to try to sign a separate contract anywhere else
3) Saw a friend's Android Archos tablet and liked the OS, but didn't want to wait for the N1 on Verizon (or deal with the screen/3G issues)

The easy hackability and Google Navigation were just a bonus!

BenB2362

Reaction score
1. I'm a techno-geek so I gotta have the "gadgets" and the two hottest phones were IPhone and Droid. Researched both. Comparative review summarys: IPhone reviews were "Great entertainment device, so-so phone and AT&T network CAN'T handle the load". Droid reviews were "Great Phone, so-so entertainment device and Verizon network CAN handle the load". I chose the device and network that would be better when I used it for what it's foundation purpose was "A Phone to get calls and make calls".
2. I'm a software developer - Apple's proprietary nature vs. Andoid's more open OS and environment. I'll take "open" for $10 Alex" :biggrin:
3. I wanted to be able to do email, tether, Word, Excel. In other words - I was planning on using it for work and already knew other techno-geeks who were doing what I planned on doing and were satisfied.

Before the flames start - I'm not saying the Droid isn't a good entertainment device. I am saying that reviews describe the Iphone as more entertainment than work oriented and Droid reviews are the opposite.

udmatador

Reaction score
1. own an ipod touch, wasnt looking to get one with a phone in it.

2. linux based os .....mmmmmmm....

3. had a bb tour, and found it to be too bland to tinker with

bottom line: i've made all of my ipod fanboy friends jealous (including my dad), and even if i can't play crush the castle with my driod, i can do pretty much everything else and make this phone my own thanks to these forums.
:D

Aluminum21

Reaction score
Top 3 reasons:

1. Closest thing Verizon has to an iPhone
2. Closest thing Verizon has to an iPhone
3. Closest thing Verizon has to an iPhone

I like the Droid a lot, don't get me wrong, but the iPhone is an amazing phone because of the apps, and I'm all about the apps.

crspang

Reaction score
1. My HTC PPC 6800 was way outdated.
2. Google navigation.
3. Huge beautiful screen
+ many more but you asked for top 3 :)

owen

Reaction score
1) Qwerty keyboard
2) Google navigation
3) Android OS

Last edited: