[TOOL] How to GAIN ROOT on SM-N900V while running MJ7

recDNA

Reaction score
In the op you mention getting rid of kingo and installing genuine root. I don't understand what you mean by that?

I do not intend to try custom roms because they will trip Knox and void warranty. That said, is there any advantage in using safe strap and changing to genuine root?

During kingo process must I allow installation of mkt camera?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
In the op you mention getting rid of kingo and installing genuine root. I don't understand what you mean by that?

I do not intend to try custom roms because they will trip Knox and void warranty. That said, is there any advantage in using safe strap and changing to genuine root?

During kingo process must I allow installation of mkt camera?

At the original time of this post Kingo was considered very unreliable, in fact it still is not a truly a trusted source, but instead it has grown into a dependable source for Root. Kingo extracts information during the Root the process and for many this violation of privacy is not something any of us enjoy especially when our IMEI# is part of that extraction and who knows where this information goes. To explain the meaning behind the kingo root and replacing it with a genuine root. Think about the movie Ace Ventura Pet Detective. Think of the moment when Jim Carrey has just discovered that Detective Einhorn is a "Man" and he is swallowing tubes of toothpaste and burning his clothes. With Einhorn and Kingo the damage has already been done, but with SuperSU we can wipe the slate clean, that is burn down/sanitize and replace completely replace Kingo Root with a Geniune new Root copy in fact so perfect in form that it performs Chainfire's command for root- which is Root in it's purest form (can't get more Genuine than that.)

Now, if you want to proceed with root you must follow this thread as the Firmware has been updated from first MI9 to MJ7 to MJE, the link is here. I would recommend going through Steps 1-3 in that thread, Safestrap has been updated to version 3.70 which I happen to like the update as it performs better even in the Beta that it is. Creating backups are important, the reason is backups are essentially ROMs, the difference is that they contain all of your settings and the data that stored on them. While I certainly understand the concern about Custom ROMs, there is a greater concern that is often overlooked. If you plan to do any customizing to your stock ROM it is much better to customize a Custom ROM, then a System ROM. System ROMs are used for Updates, if something is missing or not configured correctly you can spend hours fixing it. Use a custom ROM that you can play with change, do whatever you want with, if it breaks, your system will not break, because you have a System ROM, but if you break your System ROM then you will have problems.

Last, I'm not sure what you mean by the "mkt camera"?

recDNA

Reaction score
Over at xda some posters have said that during the installation process in kingo a warning popped up saying mkt camera is a threat then asked if they wanted to continue. If you say no king installation fails.

Are you sure kingo still collects imei? I thought they stopped doing that.

I have never been rooted and I am already MJE. The link seems to be for updating to MJE. Can't I use Kingo with MJE just as you described in this thread?

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Over at xda some posters have said that during the installation process in kingo a warning popped up saying mkt camera is a threat then asked if they wanted to continue. If you say no king installation fails.

Are you sure kingo still collects imei? I thought they stopped doing that.

I have never been rooted and I am already MJE. The link seems to be for updating to MJE. Can't I use Kingo with MJE just as you described in this thread?

Good, I wasn't sure of what version you were on since you responded to my MJ7 thread, I assumed you had MJ7 as your latest firmware that's why I mentioned MJE. Anyhow, I just checked Kingo's software still in version 1.1.6. which still means it collects IMEI. This is the same version that I used a few weeks ago, I didn't get a camera and I ran Kingo twice. Kingo is suppose to stop collecting the IMEI in version 2.0, which they said that back in October when they were in Version 1.1.5 they move very slow with updates, they are however working on Unlocking Bootloaders. Which my guess is they will stop pulling the IMEI from the Root Process and start pulling the IMEI from the Unlocked Bootloader process, go figure right! Kingo does work with MJE, you'll have no problems with it, my advice to you if you are new to Root and would like to learn more read through my [TOOLS] here and read about my [TOOLS] in here...

recDNA

Reaction score
I wish they would just charge 10 bucks and stop stealing info. It creeps me out. I have secure material on my phone and I wouldn't want them to get it or even worse, clone my phone. XDA is allowing discussions and I think links to Kingo now so I thought they had removed the spyware.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I wish they would just charge 10 bucks and stop stealing info. It creeps me out. I have secure material on my phone and I wouldn't want them to get it or even worse, clone my phone. XDA is allowing discussions and I think links to Kingo now so I thought they had removed the spyware.

The thing is they may have reopened the discussions because this is something that needs to be discussed and not simply closed off. That's not to say that some jerk off Moderator on XDA is going to decide to close the discussion anyhow because that is how the politics work on XDA and one of the main issues I have with that forum. As it is there are so many violations of our Privacy that take place right now without our knowledge or our consent. Whether it is the Government spying on us or it is Google consuming everything we do with our devices from the moment we turn our device on an make a phone call to the second we browse a web page, or respond to an email or whatever, and of course that information is being shared with and Supporters. I'm sure you are aware that Google knows every single WiFi password, and of course on a Google device they know the IMEI and all your private information and how it is used, they can show us when and how we use it, perhaps for what reason, there is a lot of Power that takes place with the violation of Privacy that we don't really know about. When it comes to Kingo, I know that the software version is 1.1.6 which was released in October, this was also when the IMEI flag was raised, this software does pull the IMEI, I have read in PR releases that Kingo does not use the IMEI it is just a set of digits extracted within the code upload. Whether this is true or not, I'm not really as concerned, I know this seems strange. See I view this as "awareness" if something down the road comes up and bites me about my IMEI and I find it's because of Kingo, I can say I was at least aware of this. It is the other threats and acts of violation of my Privacy that I am more concerned about, this does include Google, because I don't know who Google is sharing my information with, same as the Government I don't what they are looking at, what they want or who it is being shared with. At least with Kingo there is some "transparency", it doesn't make it right, but it is better than nothing.

recDNA

Reaction score
I may be naive but I trust Google and our government not to clone my phone nor steal my identity. I don't trust a mysterious group of developers in a foreign country far from the reach of U.S. law enforcement. As far as sharing my location or likes and dislikes with advertisers I could care less. I just don't want VZW to charge me for some fourth party who gets the info to clone my phone.

A moderator on XDA did report Kingo got in touch with them and claimed to no longer upload data. He also said their security expert is rechecking. I'll give them a week and check back. I strongly suspect a credit card purchase at Target was more dangerous than Kingo but no ota's in the immediate future so I'll wait for the dust to settle. I do hope they cracked the bootloader. That would be spectacular. I'm not used to KIES nor Odin. Rooting and romming was much easier on 5he thunderbolt.

Thanks for all your help and Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

squeak

Reaction score
I tried using kingo downloaded from cnet. It wouldn't ever get past the driver installation thing and kept telling me to connect and disconnect my phone, I got frustrated and quit. That was monday. Tuesday I got an email from google saying that someone had used my password to try to login to my account from a mobile device in santagio, chile. I can't say for sure that it was related to kingo, but i'm certainly suspicious.

recDNA

Reaction score
I tried using kingo downloaded from cnet. It wouldn't ever get past the driver installation thing and kept telling me to connect and disconnect my phone, I got frustrated and quit. That was monday. Tuesday I got an email from google saying that someone had used my password to try to login to my account from a mobile device in santagio, chile. I can't say for sure that it was related to kingo, but i'm certainly suspicious.

You just scared me out of it. Worst case scenario. I guess you change all your passwords and hope for the best?

It's funny too. I tweeted @kingo and they said they have stopped uploading imei since their 112 version now on 116.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score

That is certainly some scary stuff, I don't know if I would call it on Kingo but certainly something to be concerned about.

I need to update the portion about using CNet for downloading Kingo, CNet was once very reliable, however now it loads crapware into the setup.exe. For Kingo go directly to their site which is www.kingoapp.com .

It's funny too. I tweeted @kingo and they said they have stopped uploading imei since their 112 version now on 116.

Kingo is correct as they did update from version 1.1.2 to 1.1.6, but the thing is 1.1.6 came out Mid-October. This was also when Kingo's links were pulled from XDA, and all the major inquiries took place. I did follow this rather closely and read the statements, as I am posting Root methods for forum Users and while this is a "Use at your own Risk," I don't feel comfortable telling people something is clean when it really isn't. Maybe the CSR in China that responded to and said it is okay, is in auto-pilot mode as he/she has been since October answering hundreds or thousands of these questions daily. Is Kingo safe= No, not at all. If you want Root it is the ONLY way to get it. So, there are trade-offs, what is the old saying, "risk or reward", as I like to think of it "no risk, no reward."

squeak

Reaction score
I have heard that the update of root de la vega would root it, but would trip knox. I'm not sure of the factualness of that, but I recall reading it somewhere on the internet.

squeak

Reaction score
I tried to download from the link in the op, but the page wouldnt load. thats why i went to cnet.

I have heard that the update of root de la vega would root it, but would trip knox. I'm not sure of the factualness of that, but I recall reading it somewhere on the internet.

recDNA

Reaction score

I would rather do that. Heck, if I'm going to install new roms likely to trip it anyway. I've had the note 3 since the week it came out and the only problem is the buggy compass so I doubt I will need warranty service. I carry insurance so if I drop it in a puddle I will still get a replacement phone. Of course if I Bork it while romming that's my own fault and I would absorb the loss. I was a flashaholic with my thunderbolt and never really had a problem. I used to flash 2 or 3 roms a week and at one time had 4 roms working in different slots. If kingo is just giving me bogus info when I ask them a straight forward question I don't trust them enough to use their exploit. I'd rather use De La vega in open source.

squeak

Reaction score
There is obviously an exploit that allows root access without tripping Knox if kingo works. I'm surprised no one has made an alternative. Heck, I'd pay $5 for it. I donated $10 to hash code and haven't even used safestrap yet because I'm not rooted.

recDNA

Reaction score
I'm afraid De la vega development may have ceased. It's been a long time since that worked.