[TOOL] How to GAIN ROOT on SM-N900V while running MJ7

KaChow

Reaction score
For those of you that are either Unrooted, new to Verizon Galaxy Note 3, have lost Root during a previous OTA, or are simply trying to find a way to gain Root, as there are too many broken resources out there describing how to accomplish this, without one single source solution, this thread will be that one solution and may be a possible insight for upcoming OTA’s as well.

Background
Before MJ7 there was the initial version that was MI9, which there was a Root process developed by designgears that went under the name Root De La Vega. Amazing enough the Verizon Note 3 had Root within 4 days of the official release of the device, granted there was also a Bounty for Root (deep pockets) and great interest as well. Fortunately, prior to the OTA taking place we picked up a HUGE Developer named Hashcode, who quickly began applying Safestrap Recovery to our device, which this is a key role in the sustainability of Root going forward.

During the OTA from MI9 to MJ7, there were new Binaries added whether this was through the installation from Kies3 on the computer or through the OTA via the device. These binaries broke the hidden Root used in SuperSU Pro that some Users used successful used, while others were not as fortunate. Needless to say, there has not been any new interest in Development methods of Root for the Note 3. There are however 2 methods that are available that are less reliable, however they do produce Root. There is Kingo and vroot. While both seem to be very much the same, Kingo is the more popular, it is available in both Windows and Mac versions which it is software that downloads via USB. During the installation process it collects information from your device and shares it with Chinese servers, that is the rumor on the street at best, it has been removed from XDA forums, still hosted by CNet, and there are dozens upon hundreds of inquires against the company regarding these accusations, so hopefully soon there will be some restitution. While vroot is a source that most no one uses, the data that is extracted from the phone is farmed to countries like Singapore and other countries that are non-disclosed, this vroot is not recommended by any means and information extracted could be damaging for who knows what purpose it serves. Kingo's, version 2.0.+ software is meant to eliminate the access to IMEI number that is current pulled during the extraction process, it has been stated under official statements the IMEI does not serve a purpose under the research performed by the company and that in future software the IMEI will be extracted.

Also, be advised there is a new Update: Version MJ7 has been updated to Version MJE, this includes a new Radio and a new Kernel. If you are still on Version MI9 you can Update directly to MJE; Please Refer to My Updated Thread Here:
[TOOL]:3 Step Process: How to Update Verizon’s OTA to MJE on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 <-

Before we proceed forward keep in mind. This is YOUR DEVICE, YOU OWN IT, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE, DROIDFORUMS.NET IS NOT RESPONSIBLE EITHER, TY! TY! TY!

1) Begin by going to the website Root Android phone, flash custom ROM and manage your Android devices, Rooting Freeware Download - Kingo and hit the large green button that reads “Download”. The android_root.exe should begin downloading on Windows 7. Once, it has completed, go ahead, open it and select run. Should receive a box Root Set-up Wizard> select “next”> “I accept the agreement” then next> select the folder for the install, then next> folder selection, then next> create a desktop icon, then next> install> Launch Kingo Android ROOT, finish.

2) This next step can be tricky make sure for simplest use, to have a Micro USB 2.0 cable, Windows 7 computer, USB Debugging enabled. With the Kingo application Launched, there should be a red circle in the middle of screen indicating a device and a computer being connected. Connect both the device and the computer, with both connected, watch the red button turn orange and watch the device for a USB Debugging permission grant to appear and authorize it. Select the “Root” option, watch the screen of your device for the Super User to appear and pop up to authorize ADB Shell> and Grant it (you now have Root), let the rest application run, as soon as device Reboots> DISCONNECT. In fact you can UNINSTALL KINGO FROM YOUR COMPUTER.

3) There’s 2 big steps coming up, one is getting rid of Kingo and replacing it with a pure form of Root and then installing Safestrap, using it to install that pure form of Root. To get started let’s begin with the latest version of SuperSU which is version 1.86. The way this is going to be installed is a different form than usual, as we are actually going to Flash SuperSU. THIS WILL HAPPEN AT A LATER POINT, I WANT TO GET THIS FILE IN POSITION SO WE CAN QUICKLY FLASH IT AND INSTALL IT WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT. Go ahead and download this file, please save this to the Internal Memory that should read in the folder [ sdcard/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86.zip ]. This will be a quick access location.

4) The next step is to install Safestrap, as of today it is running stable which is excellent news, it is also based on TWRP which happens to be a Custom Recovery. Safestrap is Recovery that is designed to work with devices that have locked Bootloaders, in the past years SS was limited to Motorola devices and until recently Hashcode the Developer of Safestrap has transitioned over to the darkside. Hashcode has put thousands of hours into SS and other projects and I owe him the credit to let him explain, here are his two main threads on
Rootzwiki
XDA
After reading Hashcode’s OP’s you should have a complete understanding how to set-up and install SS. I am leaving this section thin as Hashcode does an excellent job explaining how to install SS, what it is, how it works, and all the above. If any questions in specific please ask in this thread.

5) This is the main event, the goal here is to remove Kingo Root and replace it with a Genuine Root. To do this we need to first go into SuperSU app> go under the Settings> scroll to the bottom and find under “Cleanup”/ “Switch superuser app”. Then go ahead and press this area (nothing will indicate that it was pressed.) Then exit SuperSU, if you try to click on the app it will say the app is not installed (this is correct as you will be changing SuperSU momentarily.) Go ahead and Reboot the Device.

6) As the Device is restarting look for the Safestrap Logo Robot to appear, the bottom left corner says “Recovery” and go ahead select it. In the Top Right corner find the “Install” letters in Red> select Storage: Internal Storage (xxxx) /datamedia/media/0 > scroll down and find UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86.zip, then touch it, on the next screen make sure it is the right file and slide the button to the right to “Swipe to Confirm Flash”. Should be > Successful < if so hit Reboot System.

7) Once, system Restarts> open your app drawer open up SuperSU and Grant any User Apps that you desire.​

If for any reason the SuperSU app does not appear in app drawer after flashing SuperSU-v1.86.zip, go to Playstore and download SuperSu. Open and run it.

[12/7/13] Video to LEARN How Safestrap WORKS-> {CLICK HERE} Thanks BKDodger!
[12/7/13] Video to LEARN How to Install a ROM on Safestrap-> {CLICK HERE} Thanks BKDodger!

ripper2860

Reaction score
OK. I'm about ready to take the leap on my N3. One thing could really help me overcome my fears, however ...

If I wanted to UNROOT and return to STOCK RECOVERY (essentially eliminate all traces that I was ever rooted), how easy is that to do and are all the necessary components readily available yet?

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
If I wanted to UNROOT and return to STOCK RECOVERY (essentially eliminate all traces that I was ever rooted), how easy is that to do and are all the necessary components readily available yet?
Unfortunately, you know the answer to this as well as I do. Nothing is ever 100% ever untraceable espeacially considering the source that we are using to gain Root in the first place. The rumors that you have heard about Kingo are all true, they farm the data from our devices to do their research and they pull the IMEI number during the process. Sure they have made public statements verbal and written that future software versions in the 2.x.x. will not extract the IMEI, but that could be next year. Also, at the same time there are enough privacy violations that take place without our consent or knowledge by own Government and manufacturers that simply can collect information freely from us. But, can your device be Unrooted, absolutely, can the trace of Root be removed, absolutely. This not your XT926 where you go into Program Menu, line 15 and see the device is Rooted. This device does not even have a Program Menu. :biggrin:

J_Ransom2

Reaction score
I apologize if this is considered a necro. Has anyone had a problem where Kingo just hangs up when "connecting" to your phone?

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
I apologize if this is considered a necro. Has anyone had a problem where Kingo just hangs up when "connecting" to your phone?

Usually, when this happens it is because something is keeping the device from collaborating with the software on your computer. This could be a cable, which I suggest using a micro USB 2.0 not the cable that your Note 3 came with even if your using a 3.0 USB outlet. Also, Windows 7 seems to be most receptive with the software. Also, make sure that USB Debugging is enabled and make sure that you are watching for the popup request on screen to access the Root process. If you have tried these above, please mention specifically what the details of what is taking place, so that a better troubleshoot solution might be possible.

J_Ransom2

Reaction score
Usually, when this happens it is because something is keeping the device from collaborating with the software on your computer. This could be a cable, which I suggest using a micro USB 2.0 not the cable that your Note 3 came with even if your using a 3.0 USB outlet. Also, Windows 7 seems to be most receptive with the software. Also, make sure that USB Debugging is enabled and make sure that you are watching for the popup request on screen to access the Root process. If you have tried these above, please mention specifically what the details of what is taking place, so that a better troubleshoot solution might be possible.

Thank you for the advice. Not thinking I used my nexus cable (which I believe is a 3.0 cable). I just used a known 2.0 cable, and it seemed to run fine. Great guide btw.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
KaChow, do you get the notification when opening the SU app about disabling Knox? I don't remember getting it before, I had to wipe my phone and do all this over and now I am getting it. I am assuming I should not let it try to disable Knox as it could be tripped.

J_Ransom2

Reaction score
KaChow, do you get the notification when opening the SU app about disabling Knox? I don't remember getting it before, I had to wipe my phone and do all this over and now I am getting it. I am assuming I should not let it try to disable Knox as it could be tripped.

Interesting question. I also got this. I did let it try to disable Knox. It says it was successful. I went into download mode, and both kernel lock and warranty void show 0x0 (even though system status is custom, binary is Samsung offical). I have not tested as to whether or not Knox is actually disabled (like custom roms). This is something that someone might want to test, but for right now I'm happy with my rooted phone. (3

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Nope. It's never a bad idea to back up the important stuff though. ;)

Interesting question. I also got this. I did let it try to disable Knox. It says it was successful. I went into download mode, and both kernel lock and warranty void show 0x0 (even though system status is custom, binary is Samsung offical). I have not tested as to whether or not Knox is actually disabled (like custom roms). This is something that someone might want to test, but for right now I'm happy with my rooted phone. (3 LOL

Yep, seems Ransom2 is 2 for 2. Knox was factory disabled by Verizon pretty sure the other US carriers disabled it as well, I think it has something something to do with NFC but I could be wrong (there's a big "wallet" push going on "Knox doesn't play well".) In terms of Root, these "push button" methods fortunately they do not perform a system wipe or anything like that, (Moto X Root gets a System Wipe-LOL) for us just a simple reboot and permission grant on SuperSU :). Make sure to follow this forum and see what we're doing on the Note 3 Forum, through this link for latest on Root, Recovery, Tools, Hacks, and Step by steps.

jsandy

Reaction score
I can't get Kingo to connect to my phone. I have enabled USB debugging. I have tried 3 different 2.0 USB cords (Even borrowed one from my wife's s4 so it would be Samsung). I have tried each of the cords in each of my 4 USB ports. I am running Windows 7. When I plug the phone in the computer recognizes it. The phone has a message in the notification bar that is "Connected as an installer". Any suggestions?

Never mind. Found a 4th USB cord and that one worked.

gthotie5

Reaction score
MTKcamera Installed on my phone when i was using the Kingo app to root.
Anyone else get this?

Edit: Although im not sure if it will take it away or not,
I did a factory reset in recovery.
Edit 2:
Sorry for hijacking the thread but is there anyway to make my note 3 back to stock after rooting and SS? (I did update to MJ7 while still stock)

ripper2860

Reaction score
Well ...

I've went and done it. Rooted and loaded Safestrap and Custom Recovery. Used TriangleAway to rid myself of the annoying CUSTOM boot logo and all is good. Now I have a couple of quick SafeStrap Noob questions ...

Why does it state "SafeStrap: Disabled" when booting and at the RECOVERY or CONTINUE screen? Do I have to have a ROM SLOT active for that to not show? All I have is the STOCK ROM for now. Nervous about flashing a ROM when it says Safe Strap is disabled at boot.

Thanks!!