[TOOL]:3 Step Process: How to Update Verizon’s OTA to MJE on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 <-

KaChow

Reaction score
[DISCLOSURE] IF YOU MIND + KEEP IN MIND = This is YOUR DEVICE, YOU OWN IT, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE, IF YOU BREAK IT = YOU BROKE IT, AND OF COURSE DROIDFORUMS.NET/ NOTE2FORUM.COM IS NOT RESPONSIBLE EITHER. [DISCLOSURE]

This step-by-step [TOOL] is constructed in a different manner from past TOOLS. The difference is that past Tool’s have focused on Protecting Root, Root is not @ a threat of being lost permanently with this OTA. It can easily be restored. The challenge this OTA presents is technically 3 items 1) Time, 2) Kernel, 3) Radio. This OTA has presented a challenge to a majority of those that are Rooted and have Safestrap on their devices, this OTA does not play nice. It does not simple Update very easily, some have updated easily, others have Unrooted, others have uninstalled Safestrap, others have flashed firmware with Odin, others have tried this and tried that, then a combonation of that and then this, followed by that and now this and still it is not working. Well, I have found a solution that works. It is Official it comes right through Samsung there is no OTA and the results are clean. This can be done if you are CURRENTLY ON EITHER VERSION I9, MJ7, MJE THIS WILL WORK ON ALL VERSIONS, I REPEAT IT WORKS ON ALL VERSIONS. If you are on an old version and waited to update, this will allow you to skip over MJ7 and go directly to MJE.

A few more things before we get started for those interested in seeing what this OTA looks like go to “Settings”-> About phone-> Software update-> Check for new update-> Download update-> when the download finishes go into your file manager. Go to “/” find cache-> fota-> update.zip open it up that’s it.

So, here it is the 3 Step Process of Installation that goes an Official route, begins Officially with Samsung that installs the MJE Update on a Clean Error Free Brand New Factory Set ROM. Then we gain Root from Kingo App and I install Safestrap (backup the new ROM.) Blast off!

3 Step Process
1) Kies 3
2) Kingo App (Root)
3) Safestrap

Now, before I jump in and talk about the processes, let me mention a few important points. With this process, it will save a lot of time in many respects, as I’ve taken much of the guesswork out of the installation. This Process does a FULL WIPE/Factory Reset, that means EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNAL MEMORY WILL BE LOST. If you have Pictures, Apps, Downloads, Movies, Music, Files, Docs, Backups, anything stored on your Internal Storage either Back it up to the External SD Card or to your Computer via USB or somewhere else. As this formatting process will remove all stored files and folders just on the Internal Memory (EVERYTHING ON THE SD CARD IS SAFE NO WORRIES THERE.) **There will be an option in Kies (I will get to this) that will ask you if you would like to back up any settings prior to moving on, these settings include items like (wifi passcodes, etc.)

So, now that you have the idea that the Internal Memory will be Fully Wiped, this also means that Root will be Destroyed, Safestrap will be Destroyed (make sure if your TWRP folder is backed up to your ExtSDCard as it contains ALL OF YOUR SAFESTRAP BACKUPS), which this also means that YOU DO NOT NEED TO WASTE YOUR TIME UNFREEZING APPS or REMOVING XPOSED or Wanam. The thing is once you have BACKED UP all the ITEMS from YOUR INTERNAL STORAGE that you WANT then you are READY TO CONTINUE.

All you need is a Computer running ideally Windows 7 (8(8.1) is perfectly fine) and a USB 2.0 that accepts connection with Kingo and Kies3 (Mac works with Kies not sure about Kingo)

On to Step 1. Kies3 Approx Time 20-45min

Samsung Kies3 <> ONLY INSTALL IF NOT INSTALLED ALREADY <>
Windows Driver Only <> ONLY INSTALL IF NOT INSTALLED ALREADY <>

Now, I realized I skipped over some important items Root and Safestrap, which indeed these are extremely and they will comeback. The goal is to push this OTA through as quick and easily as possible, at the same time we are getting a brand new Factory ROM of MJE that once we get initially setup, then get Root gained through Kingo and Safestrap installed, I highly recommend that you then make a Complete Backup of the Stock ROM in it’s current untouched state, this way when it is time to take the OTA to 4.4 in January. All you will need to do is Flash the “untouched Stock ROM” protect Root, and take the OTA, NICE AND CLEAN…

Go ahead and open Kies3 make sure that it is Kies3 if you Windows remember Note3. Plug your device into your computer via USB 2.0 (do not use a 3.0 unless recommended.) Make sure that the Firmware is matching up should be “MJ7” on computer and device if “MJE” check below to see if your “About phone” Kernel version and Baseband version are the same if they are-> Success! -> if not keep proceeding-> no success yet.

Next look at the top center of the bar for Kies and find “Tools” and click it-> next find “Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation” and click on it. A pop-up Box will appear that is “Firmware upgrade and initialization” agreement, which generally states that the device will be restored to its original settings, all data will be deleted and latest software version will be installed. Do you wish to proceed. There are one of two possible screens that could be received here:
1) The next screen will request your model number, make sure to use ALL CAPS AND ENTER SM-N900V and hit enter the next will ask for your IMEI (you do not need to pull the Battery) go to Settings-> About phone-> Status-> scroll down till you see IMEI should start with 99.
2) The next screen analyzes the Current version: (which this is your device it should be MJ7) and the Initialized version: (which this is the version that will be updated to MJE), again with the do you want to proceed.

The next pop-up should be a large screen with a red triangle reading Caution. Read through the disclosure 1-8, check the box. Then decide your answers to the remainder of the questions and wait for the “Start upgrade” to appear this may not happen instantly. The downloading process takes a great deal of time as it could take 15-35 minutes for the Firmware to download (this is a good time to step away from the computer if needed.) Once, the firmware has downloaded, there will be another pop-up window that will ask you to reconfirm that you are ready to continue. Just go ahead and continue.

**It is important not to touch your device as your device will be booted into Recovery and go into Download Mode. Kies3 will open Kies Official version of Samsung’s Odin and begin Installing MJE on your Device; fortunately the install does not take as long as the downloading of the firmware, just keep an eye on your device there will be a uploading bar indicating the amount remaining towards the installation. Once, the upload has been completed the device will reboot, you will see the “Lock”, the Verizon Bootani, and be taken to the Setup Wizard. I recommend holding the USB connection with Kies3 to the Setup, if you saved any of your common user passwords such WiFi IDs/passwords, BT, settings and such Kies will offer to restore these during Setup and this can save a lot of time. Go ahead and get some of your settings ready.

The next step will be Kingo, might want go to Settings-> Security-> uncheck “Verify Apps”-> check Unknown sources. Next go to About phone-> Build number # hit it about 10 times till Developer options appear, then go to-> Developer options-> enable USB Debugging-> enable Allow mock locations.

On to Step 2, Kingo Approx: Time 8-15 min

Begin by going to the website Root Android phone, flash custom ROM and manage your Android devices, Rooting Freeware Download - Kingo and hit the large green button that reads “Download”. The android_root.exe should begin downloading on Windows 7/8/8.1. Once, it has completed, go ahead, open it and select run. Should receive a box Root Set-up Wizard> select “next”> “I accept the agreement” then next> select the folder for the install, then next> folder selection, then next> create a desktop icon, then next> install> Launch Kingo Android ROOT, finish.

This next step can be tricky make sure for simplest use, to have a Micro USB 2.0 cable, Windows 7/8/8.1 computer, USB Debugging enabled (since MJE has been just installed it’s best to make sure to check that Developer options are enabled/if they are not go into About phone and tap on Build Number until the countdown disappears.) With the Kingo application Launched, there should be a red circle in the middle of screen indicating a device and a computer being connected. Connect both the device and the computer, with both connected, watch the red button turn orange and watch the device for a USB Debugging permission grant to appear and authorize it. Select the “Root” option, watch the screen of your device for the Super User to appear and pop up to authorize ADB Shell> and Grant it (you now have Root), let the rest application run, as soon as device Reboots> DISCONNECT. In fact you can UNINSTALL KINGO FROM YOUR COMPUTER (Recommended as to keep from causing future USB interactions.)

On to Step 3, Safestrap Approx: Time 5 min

The next step is to install Safestrap, as of right now Hashcode has updated the status to current on versions I9 and MJ7, it is not fully supported on MJE as of yet. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED = AS SOON AS SAFESTRAP IS INSTALLED TO MAKE AN IMMEDIATE BACKUP OF THE LATEST MJE UPDATE ON YOUR DEVICE, before making any new adjustments or customizations to your device.

Safestrap is a product of Hashcode, therefore I give the honor of Hashcode to supply information through the link of XDA may click here to read further about Safestrap and download the app. After reading Hashcode’s OP’s you should have a complete understanding how to set-up and install SS. I am leaving this section thin as Hashcode does an excellent job explaining how to install SS, what it is, how it works, and all the above. If any questions in specific please ask in this thread.

With special thanks to BKDodger for finding these videos feel free to click here for additional support:
How Safestrap Works
How to Install a ROM

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
IMPORTANT: THIS STEP 1 WORKS ON ALL VERSIONS OF VERIZON'S SAMSUNG NOTE 3 = If you are still on MI9 this will UPDATE you to MJE

ALSO: If you are not INTERESTED IN ROOTING YOUR DEVICE ONLY = Just complete Step 1, You will have a Completely Brand New MJE Operating System! Enjoy!

vicky1377

Reaction score
This is pheonemenal. I was very reluctant to take this ota because of root and safestrap and hassle. Plus I get great battery life on beans custom rom I have on. Now I'm definitely going to perform the update tomorrow before flashing new rom:). Thank you so much for taking time and writing all this step by step. This looks awesome. I will post my feedback once I do it tomorrow or tonight

vicky1377

Reaction score
Question about USB? I just upgraded my laptop with newer running windows 8 hybrid ultrabook which only has usb 3.0 port though. Would that be an issue? I have used it already to transfer files between my Note 3 and Laptop with no issues.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
Question about USB? I just upgraded my laptop with newer running windows 8 hybrid ultrabook which only has usb 3.0 port though. Would that be an issue? I have used it already to transfer files between my Note 3 and Laptop with no issues.

That would not be an issue just need to use a 2.0 USB cable on your 3.0 USB Port.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

vicky1377

Reaction score
That would not be an issue just need to use a 2.0 USB cable on your 3.0 USB Port.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That's fantastic. I believe there aren't that many devices with 3.0 cable:) I'm so looking forward to trying these steps.:)

ripper2860

Reaction score
Kachow, you are a beast!!! Looks like I now have a little project for this weekend that will take my mind off of how much I spent on Christmas gifts.

Thank you!!

vicky1377

Reaction score
That's fantastic. I believe there aren't that many devices with 3.0 cable:) I'm so looking forward to trying these steps.:)

KaChow you think I can try to take update by booting into Stock rom and unfreezing all the system apps I froze before. Or not a good idea?

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
KaChow you think I can try to take update by booting into Stock rom and unfreezing all the system apps I froze before. Or not a good idea?

I don't think that is a bad idea. That was how this update was meant to be installed originally via OTA. When my good friend ripper2860 asked me to help out with this guideline for MJE, there really are a number of different ways that this OTA can be installed and attempted to be installed if installations fail. The one that I listed above was error free, the update is installed through Samsung's Proprietary software and it happens to provide a new ROM, new Kernel, new Radio, new apps, fresh untouched and un-adjusted settings. See while it is a pain because you do have to reset everything, it is also a Major timesaver, because we have another MAJOR OTA coming next month which is a New OS, which is going to be a much bigger update. I would rather have a clean and fresh ROM with MJE written all over it that is Rooted, with Safestrap, that I can easily push the Major update Kit Kat 4.4 through and not have to worry about system crashes.

Keep in mind, most of us, but not all of us started with the "I9" version which the update installed to "MJ7" it was a no wipe all the settings stayed the same, there is a good amount of people that have already updated to "MJE" without having to wipe. I'm rather old school when it comes flashing ROMs I tend to prefer Wiping my Partitions, and these Dirty Wipes where you start stacking newer Versions over Older versions like I9-> MJ7-> MJE and then there's gonna a new OS, yuck! This is why I recommend the 'clean start' and also keep in mind Root is not threatened and easily regained, it leaves a nice setup for Kit Kat 4.4, which I also imagine the new OS will also wipe completely the prior OS, anyhow. The importance of Clean Rom lining to a New Rom, well is that basically everything matches, no system changes, modifications, etc. But anyhow, below is the snapshot of my About phone-> make sure to note the Baseband version, Kernel version, Build number... GL!

vicky1377

Reaction score
I don't think that is a bad idea. That was how this update was meant to be installed originally via OTA. When my good friend ripper2860 asked me to help out with this guideline for MJE, there really are a number of different ways that this OTA can be installed and attempted to be installed if installations fail. The one that I listed above was error free, the update is installed through Samsung's Proprietary software and it happens to provide a new ROM, new Kernel, new Radio, new apps, fresh untouched and un-adjusted settings. See while it is a pain because you do have to reset everything, it is also a Major timesaver, because we have another MAJOR OTA coming next month which is a New OS, which is going to be a much bigger update. I would rather have a clean and fresh ROM with MJE written all over it that is Rooted, with Safestrap, that I can easily push the Major update Kit Kat 4.4 through and not have to worry about system crashes.

Keep in mind, most of us, but not all of us started with the "I9" version which the update installed to "MJ7" it was a no wipe all the settings stayed the same, there is a good amount of people that have already updated to "MJE" without having to wipe. I'm rather old school when it comes flashing ROMs I tend to prefer Wiping my Partitions, and these Dirty Wipes where you start stacking newer Versions over Older versions like I9-> MJ7-> MJE and then there's gonna a new OS, yuck! This is why I recommend the 'clean start' and also keep in mind Root is not threatened and easily regained, it leaves a nice setup for Kit Kat 4.4, which I also imagine the new OS will also wipe completely the prior OS, anyhow. The importance of Clean Rom lining to a New Rom, well is that basically everything matches, no system changes, modifications, etc. But anyhow, below is the snapshot of my About phone-> make sure to note the Baseband version, Kernel version, Build number... GL!

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/ScottyBeGood/media/Screenshot_2013-12-14-00-35-511.png.html

Fantastic. Yeah I always wipe all and do a very clean install. Thanks for a good info. I will do it today for sure:)

vicky1377

Reaction score
You are the beast dude:). I did the update successfully then rooted in one shot then installed ss. Knox security is intact and I'm golden:). Now back to crack flashing. Here is the screen shot.

ForumRunner_20131214_182015.png

jsandy

Reaction score
Somehow I screwed this up. Opened Kies. Told me that there was an update (dated today). Downloaded and installed. Connected my rooted verizon note3. Connected w/o issue Told me that there was a firmware update. Started the process. Now it seems to be hung up (I know that it could take 45 min but I am coming up on 90 minutes) Doesn't seem to be anything happening but the kies screen is grayed out. If I try to click on anything I just get the warning "ding". I'm afraid to unplug the phone or to reboot the computer(windows 7). Any suggestions?

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
You are the beast dude:). I did the update successfully then rooted in one shot then installed ss. Knox security is intact and I'm golden:). Now back to crack flashing. Here is the screen shot.

That is WONDERFUL!!! I'm glad it worked out, Happy Flashing!!! :biggrin:

View attachment 68646

Somehow I screwed this up. Opened Kies. Told me that there was an update (dated today). Downloaded and installed. Connected my rooted verizon note3. Connected w/o issue Told me that there was a firmware update. Started the process. Now it seems to be hung up (I know that it could take 45 min but I am coming up on 90 minutes) Doesn't seem to be anything happening but the kies screen is grayed out. If I try to click on anything I just get the warning "ding". I'm afraid to unplug the phone or to reboot the computer(windows 7). Any suggestions?

First, off to make sure did you make the selection based on the screenshot below which is the "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization" or did Kies direct to a different direction? (See screenshot.)

If you did not select the "Firmware Upgrade and Initialization" and went a different route and your device is frozen. Go ahead and remove the battery, remove the USB connection, Save all the Open programs on your computer, and Restart your computer, wait about 1 minute with your device put battery back in and power on. Connect the USB make sure all your connections are good, Open Kies3, BYPASS ALL OFFERS TO UPDATE Go to Step 1.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

Did you get it resolved ?

N3 tapa