[TOOL]:3 Step Process: How to Update Verizon’s OTA to MJE on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 <-

ripper2860

Reaction score
You are a genius!! That worked. I'll get this puppy upgraded tonight.

ripper2860

Reaction score
My Phone and/or computer is not being very cooperative. I cannot get to the end of step...

"The downloading process takes a great deal of time as it could take 15-35 minutes for the Firmware to download (this is a good time to step away from the computer if needed.) Once, the firmware has downloaded, there will be another pop-up window that will ask you to reconfirm that you are ready to continue. Just go ahead and continue."

The pop-up that is supposed to show after downloading never appears -- even after waiting for over 75 minutes. Disabled AV and Firewall and still no go after 2 attempts. The KIES3 program window just sits grayed (like in the OP pic) the whole time.

I think I may have to try directly flashing the STOCK MJE ROM via Odin, but I am not real sure what check-boxes in the OPTION section should be set to completely initialize the phone and flash the STOCK ROM. I have the PIT file and the necessary MD5 ROM file and know how to set that up, just not sure which OPTIONS to select.

Thx.

One more thing ...

I did accept the OTA download and it is stored on my phone. II have not installed it (it failed when I tried it) but it is downloaded and prompts asking if I want to install now or later. Should I delete it? Could the presence of that file prevent the download via KIES 3 from completing? If someone could tell me where the file is stored, I'll delete and try again.

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
My Phone and/or computer is not being very cooperative. I cannot get to the end of step...

"The downloading process takes a great deal of time as it could take 15-35 minutes for the Firmware to download (this is a good time to step away from the computer if needed.) Once, the firmware has downloaded, there will be another pop-up window that will ask you to reconfirm that you are ready to continue. Just go ahead and continue."

The pop-up that is supposed to show after downloading never appears -- even after waiting for over 75 minutes. Disabled AV and Firewall and still no go after 2 attempts. The KIES3 program window just sits grayed (like in the OP pic) the whole time.

I think I may have to try directly flashing the STOCK MJE ROM via Odin, but I am not real sure what check-boxes in the OPTION section should be set to completely initialize the phone and flash the STOCK ROM. I have the PIT file and the necessary MD5 ROM file and know how to set that up, just not sure which OPTIONS to select.

Thx.

One more thing ...

I did accept the OTA download and it is stored on my phone. II have not installed it (it failed when I tried it) but it is downloaded and prompts asking if I want to install now or later. Should I delete it? Could the presence of that file prevent the download via KIES 3 from completing? If someone could tell me where the file is stored, I'll delete and try again.

I honestly had the same problem, when I took on the task of putting together a step-by-step for the MJE process. I’ve always found what is most simple is best, what everyone can do the better the [TOOL] is hence, why I name them [TOOL]’s. Kies3 is an interesting program, which it operates similar to Motorola’s drivers as if your having difficulties pushing updates through the OTA, you can push the OTA through the Motorola’s driver. Kies3 on the other hand holds the firmware, which I find interesting as let’s say with the Kit Kat update that is soon to come, if users are having difficulties installing via OTA they can install the update via Kies3. Trick is will Root sustain, more than likely not, as it does a complete systems wipe. (If you want to KEEP ROOT DO NOT TRY UNTIL DEVELOPMENT HAS TESTED.)

Back on track, your device responded the same way my device did the first time I tested this method. I followed all the steps as I have since re-laid out. The download took sometime, but during the upload it took forever, and I decided it was going no where and I disconnected the device. Now, I could have explored looking into downloading a hacked version of Odin and then steered others to XDA where there is a MJE firmware copy with a fairly trustworthy MD5, but the thing is, if I am writing something for the masses of users that are either everyday or hardcore Android lovers, I want to keep things as simple as possible. Kies3 is reliable and most important, it is an “Official Samsung Product” the MJE file doesn’t carry an MD5 that at least you see cause your getting the firmware directly from Samsung’s servers. So, to my advice, and as I painful learned (believe I did multiple times to capture screenshots and steps)… If you don’t succeed at first, then... GL!

The update is stored in the cache, the easiest way to remove it is to reboot.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
ODIN is a snap ...If using 3.09 version pit file in AP. .If using ODIN 3.07 pit file in the PDA slot...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47497006

METHOD 2 - STRAIGHT TO MJE:

Requirements:
MJE Tar File
Latest Odin (currently v3.09)
Samsung Drivers
Archiving Software (i.e. 7zip)
PC & USB to Micro USB Cable

1) Download and MD5 check the Zipped Tar file above.

2) Navigate to the MJE file on your PC. Right click it and hover over "7-Zip," on the pop-out menu select "Extract Here." (Nearly any archiving software will appear in this right-click menu) It will decompress the tar file we need and you'll be ready to continue. This process will not work until you've decompressed the zip file!

3) Power down your device. Once fully off, HOLD POWER, HOME & VOLUME DOWN BUTTONS. A screen will appear with a warning about custom operating systems - press VOLUME UP to continue to download / odin mode

4) Plug your device into the PC & wait for Odin to show a "com" box with a number in the upper left corner of the window. Put the tar file above into the "AP" slot of Odin and wait for the "Start" button in Odin to be enabled. It could take a minute or two for Odin to read the tar file - it's a couple gigs, which is large - be patient. Once it's ready, click start and it will install a clean, unrooted MJE stock OTA firmware. As always with Odin, most likely you will lose all your data. Some have reported that their data was intact - I have no explanation for this as Odin is supposed to wipe your device during the flashing process - PREPARE AS IF DATA WILL BE LOST.

N3 tap

ripper2860

Reaction score
KaChow -- Thanks!! I understand and certainly would not ask you to re-write your excellent guide. Since KIES actiually uses Odin to flash I was just looking for a way to by-pass the download (since it wasn't working for me) and go right to the FLASH portion since I had downloaded from XDA what I felt was a reliable STOCK MJE file. BTW -- I have re-booted multiple times and it still prompts asking if I want to upgrade every morning at 1:00am.

BKDodger - Thank you. That's pretty much the steps I had found via my searches. My only concern is with the OPTIONS settings and whether I need to deviate from the default checked settings in the OPTIONS section. I seem to remember, from my old Samsung CHARGE days and flashing via Odin, that there were some specific settings boxes you did NOT want to check or it could brick your phone. That's why I asked about the Odin v3.09 OPTIONS settings. Can you confirm what should be checked before I flash.

Using Odin v3.09

1. I have the Verizon 32GB PIT file path in the PIT section
2. I have the ROM file path in the AP section with thre AP checkbox checked
3. The default settings in the OPTION section for me are: AUTO REBOOT, RE-PARTITION, AND F. RESET TIME checked with all other options UNCHECKED.

Thanks guys!! You two and the other fine forum members are the reason I always come here first for help !!

OP
K

KaChow

Reaction score
BTW -- I have re-booted multiple times and it still prompts asking if I want to upgrade every morning at 1:00am.

When you download an Update it is stored in the Cache, to remove it just Reboot. To remove the Reminder to Update, disable the SDM 1.0 apk. :biggrin:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I leave everything as default I don't check anything or uncheck anything. ..just the file in the AP slot after I see the com in upper left when connected ..

N3 tap

ripper2860

Reaction score
Cool. That seems to have worked. Odin flash completed. I'm gonna sit pat in UNROOTED status for now til KitKat OTA. I'm in the process of re-downloading all Google Play apps, but do have one more question ...

After Odin finished and it re-booted, it had the CUSTOM boot screen. Will this go away after my next re-boot, or are there special steps to get this cleared w/o ROOT? If I recall correctly, Triangle Away requires ROOT.

Again -- thanks guys!!

ripper2860

Reaction score
Yep. Went back to the normal (not CUSTOM) boot after the next re-boot.

Thanks!!!