Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

androidgeek

Reaction score
Just a suggestion when doing the battery bump, while charging battery powered on, turn off the screen. Not 100% sure but i think it made a difference on charge time. I use the power control widget(paid) for the screen brightness. I refuse to go to 20% screen brightness. I'm not going to strain to see the darn thing, I like to see what im doing. I also choose wisely on wallpaper, usually dark themed.

atmcgill97

Reaction score
Heavy usage battery life?

Do you think the Thunderbolt will last this long?

3 hours of HEAVY usage (Constant internet browsing and lots of flash video. All in 3G zone.) Then just sitting in my pocket for 5 hours (literally not doing anything, not off, just on standby. Still in 3G area.) And then once again 3 hours of HEAVY usage (Constant internet browsing and lots of flash video. All in 3G zone.)

Thanks. I don't have the phone yet so cant test myself. I'm going on a day trip so for 3 hours there and 3 hours back so I'll be watching youtube/southpark/family guy etc. I wont have the screen on full brightness.

Thanks again.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
Just a suggestion when doing the battery bump, while charging battery powered on, turn off the screen. Not 100% sure but i think it made a difference on charge time. I use the power control widget(paid) for the screen brightness. I refuse to go to 20% screen brightness. I'm not going to strain to see the darn thing, I like to see what im doing. I also choose wisely on wallpaper, usually dark themed.

For the battery bump, only do it once a month, not often. Having the screen off will definitely help you charge faster, I am not sure of the exact amount of difference it makes though. Dark vs. light wallpaper should not matter because its an LCD screen (it does matter on other smartphone screen technologies though). I use Screen Brightness widget by Curvefish (free), it has settings for 0, 25, 50, 75, 100, Auto, and has a convenient slider to get a custom level if you want a different number.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I hear some of you guys saying to take off the Battery Left widget...is that known to make the battery life worst? I just started using it and would like some opinions on it.

I use it and like it a lot, even paid for PRO so I could calibrate both of my batteries. I have not noticed it deplete any significant amount of battery power, it has never shown up in my list of "usage." I think its worth it to have the knowledge it gives you, any battery drain as a result of it is extremely minimal.

NbeeDroid1

Reaction score
Save Battery Life

To save battery life you need to go to googles web site and download to your phone task killer. I saw a new one that is called advanced task killer. i am not sure this is a better one or not. The Verizon tech guy told me that the task killer will shut down all your task that run all the time. You just use your phone as you would normally would. Hope this helps you all that are having trouble with your Thunderbolt. I plan on buying the larger battery when I buy the thunderbolt.

tu3218

Reaction score

For the battery bump, only do it once a month, not often. Having the screen off will definitely help you charge faster, I am not sure of the exact amount of difference it makes though. Dark vs. light wallpaper should not matter because its an LCD screen (it does matter on other smartphone screen technologies though). I use Screen Brightness widget by Curvefish (free), it has settings for 0, 25, 50, 75, 100, Auto, and has a convenient slider to get a custom level if you want a different number.

awesome, thanks for mentioning curvefish. I've been looking for something just like this!!

alboboy10

Reaction score
Is battery indicator bad? Nobody talks about it, but it's not a widget so it doesn't kill battery and it's pretty accurate. It gives a time of when you took it off charger, it gives you the battery temperature and everything.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
To save battery life you need to go to googles web site and download to your phone task killer. I saw a new one that is called advanced task killer. i am not sure this is a better one or not. The Verizon tech guy told me that the task killer will shut down all your task that run all the time. You just use your phone as you would normally would. Hope this helps you all that are having trouble with your Thunderbolt. I plan on buying the larger battery when I buy the thunderbolt.

Omg I want to punch those "tech" guys sometimes the lady trying to sell me my thunderbolt didn't even know what DLNA was. Please don't do this, the reason why you think you save battery is because it closes apps before it syncs.

Most of the devs have stated that this is not good to do and that you should let androids native task killer do its job. If you use a task killer and kill tasks forcefully it'll take more time for that app to load and take more energy to startup. It's much more efficient to leave the apps loaded into memory and to either tweak your syncing rates or just turn off auto syncing. Hope this makes sense! You should only force kill apps that were coded bad and don't shutdown properly.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mitchb2

Reaction score
No freaking way. I take my TB off the charget at 7am. By noon it's at 40%, and that's just doing a few texts and email checks. My D1 would be 70% at 5pm.

This thing devours the battery while it sleeps.

dirtyfingers

Reaction score

Task Killer... Yuck!

funkyb

Reaction score

I believe a dark wallpaper *does* make a difference on an LCD screen.

It is true that the backlight remains on even with a dark screen, but that's not where the power savings comes from. The reason you can save some juice is because the natural state of the liquid crystal matrix is OFF, meaning blocks the backlight. You have to supply a current to maintain any pixel in the ON state. By using a dark wallpaper, fewer pixels need to be electrically *twisted* into the ON position.

Disclaimer: My background is physics, not engineering, and we're not in a perfect sphere surrounded by a pure vacuum. :)

Last edited:

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score
I use mine heavily all day and am perfectly satisfied with the battery... Don't listen to all the battery hype, people just like to complain about stuff to complain. I have done nothing to conserve battery except turn down the display brightness and I can easily get 10-12 hours out of my bolt. I live in a 4 g area too. I was starting to think by all the complaining that I got lucky but there are plenty of other people tired of all the whining too. It's a smart phone... Your NOT going to get 2 or 3 days between charges.

ThunderBolt- non rooted (for now)

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Get a car charger if you can or carry an extra battery. That's what I do. It doesn't take much to swap them out and have peace of mind that you'll have enough juice.