Battery Life Tips

Discussion in 'Smartphone Battery Discussion' started by ukyfan, May 30, 2012.

1. ukyfan

ukyfan Premium Member Premium Member

This was posted over at our Thunderbolt Sister site by none other than dlwhtrose, but thought these tips would work for just about anyone with any phone.

Note: This post has been edited to better conform to multiple phone models and styles, so that information specific to any one phone will not be globally applied to others in error. Also, you may or may not choose to implement one or more suggestion below, but that's OK. These are the extremes of many different settings and may not be appropriate for all users, and in all situations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
  2. captbird

captbird New Member

thanks for the tips, checked the majority, and all seems to be in line with what you suggest, but my personal HTC Sprint phone, drains just sitting at my desk with moderate use. My work blackberry gets used all day long, email, text, BB messenger, some internet, and lasts a couple days, the HTC sitting on my desk drains half battery in a few hours... What am I doing wrong?
  3. cherrywine

cherrywine New Member

thanks for the tips. Another obvious yet useful thing i do is keep my phone plugged in to a charger at all times when ever possible, i.e. at home or in the car. My phone will usually last all day this way and never go less than 1/2 of the battery
  4. jamichelson

jamichelson New Member

thanks for these tips. i really have problem with battery, if wifi is on then the phone won't work more than 10h what is basically nothing. lately i use automatic turning on the wifi so it work more. i'll go through your tips, hopefully they will help me save couple of hours more without charging.
  5. maril

maril New Member

tks for the tips of small details, and i had book this posts as one of marks.
  6. cherrywine

cherrywine New Member

Went thru and did all these tips, very helpful. My battery doesnt ever die now, unless I an online on it for more than a couple hours
  7. crashvector

crashvector New Member

Also, you can get a "no wallpaper" app from the Google Play market. This will make the background plain black. Pixels that are not lit consume no power, so this should save a bit of battery life, plus it really shows off the deep black and high contrast of the AMOLED screen.
  8. DevilDogMP

DevilDogMP New Member

nice thread!

Very useful.
  9. Morgoroth

Morgoroth New Member

I like the list. There are some helpful things there.
    But I can't find the Widget that monitors running apps you mentioned in part L.
    Also, why should you not use a task killer?
  10. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Excellent post ukyfan! Thank you for posting!

Task killers use battery and resources causing a viscous cycle of stopping apps/processes that are needed to run for your phone to work properly, only for those apps/processes to turn right back on, then get turned off again by the task manager and this will go on endlessly. Android does an excellent job of managing apps/processes that are running making task killer apps unnecessary.
  11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth New Member

What about a task killer that you use on command? Like Advanced Task Killer? It only works when I push the button...
    Also, I have a problem because I don't get cell signal at work (In the Building) and so a lot of my batt gets used up searching.
    It says I can turn on Airplane mode to stop that, but is there a way I could get it to do that automatically or something.
    Or maybe only search every 15min....

Edited-Because I failed at reading....
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Actually, I have done that in the past...used a task killer to stop all running processes on demand, knowing the necessary processes would turn back on...but at least, it turned off the extras. On my older droid phones, this seemed necessary to do every once in a while because the phones could not handle everything I might have running. But these newer phones don't have that problem so it hasn't been necessary.

Anyway, the short answer to that question is that to use the task killer on command on occasion will not kill your battery, as long as you make sure it is not set to automatic.

The answer to your second question... my suggestion would be to get a toggle widget where you can toggle your data and Wi-Fi off while you're at work, then toggle it back on when you need it. I use widgetsoid because I can set it to have access from the notification bar.

The other option would be to set up Smart Actions battery extender (if you have that on your phone) or get an app that does similar (I use automateit) ... battery extender will turn data, Wi-Fi, sync off when your screen is off and turn it back on when screen is turned on.
  13. Morgoroth

Morgoroth New Member

I have an app that does something like that. And my mobile is always off unless I turn it on and use it. But I turn it off immediately after that.

I've looked at the usage and after turning down the screen brightness, the biggest user of the battery is "Cell Standby."

I think that is what is going on at work where it searches for a signal, I just can't find any settings for any of that.
  14. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

If you turn data and Wi-Fi off, then it won't try searching for a signal. If you also have no phone signal, then airplane mode would work for that and you can get a toggle switch for that also. It could also be that your battery life is adequate for your use. You probably already mentioned this but how many hours do you get on average?
  15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth New Member

I get all day out of it, but I don't use it that much.
    I usually only make one or two calls, and check email a hand full of times.
    Maybe a couple texts.

I do use it to listen to music, but that is in the car and I almost always have it plugged in.

I'm gonna try the airplane mode thing Monday and see how it goes.
  16. Morgoroth

Morgoroth New Member

Ok, today I woke up at 8, and so far I've checked FB once and made an update, made one phone call that lasted 12min and 20sec and now at 2pm my phone is down to less than half?

Is that normal?

Oh, and when I looked at running apps, it said Google Maps has used 35% of my batt, but I have not used google maps today...
  17. raphaelnariga

raphaelnariga New Member

nice tips mate, awesome job, thanks a lot!
  18. dappwl

dappwl New Member

Just another thanks for the nice tips!

Most of them are known, but it's great to see them collected in one place!
  19. Jamie1985

Jamie1985 New Member

Nice tips, thx~~ But always checking to turn off the stuff is annoying.
    I prefer to get an external battery.
  20. droidshine

droidshine New Member

thank you very much for these tips, it is very useful for me to protect my phone battery. :icon_ banana:
Search tags for this page
battery
dna battery savings
dreambing

droid incredible 2 battery life

droid incredible 2 battery life tips

how to extend battery life on htc rezound
how to save battery life on droid incredible 2
how to save battery life on htc

how to save battery life on htc rezound

how to save battery on htc thunderbolt

htc incredible 2 battery life