Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

funkyb

Reaction score
No freaking way. I take my TB off the charget at 7am. By noon it's at 40%, and that's just doing a few texts and email checks. My D1 would be 70% at 5pm.

This thing devours the battery while it sleeps.

On 3G? that's crazy talk. I just went 7AM to 7PM on 3G, surfing forums perodically, making calls, and smsing, and was at 60% when I left the office.

Sure, on 4G i'd be much lower after that, but 3G is pretty smooth.

want a droid

Reaction score
Angerismygift: I'm pretty sure those complaining aren't asking for 2 to 3 days of battery life.

I know I myself would appreciate more than 4 to 5 hours of battery when im on 4g. I use auto brightness and only text call and occasionally check email.

On wifi I can last around 12 hours but damn on 4g I need to be hooked to the wall multiple times throughout the day.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

ANGERisMYgift

Reaction score
Angerismygift: I'm pretty sure those complaining aren't asking for 2 to 3 days of battery life.

I know I myself would appreciate more than 4 to 5 hours of battery when im on 4g. I use auto brightness and only text call and occasionally check email.

On wifi I can last around 12 hours but damn on 4g I need to be hooked to the wall multiple times throughout the day.

Turn auto brightness off and take it down to about 20%, and I'd bet u see improvement. The screen is my biggest draw but like I said I get plenty of life between charges. I had it on auto the first few days I had the phone and could barely get 8 hours. I was still happy with the 8 hours but am ecstatic since I turned it to 20%.

ThunderBolt- non rooted (for now)

alboboy10

Reaction score
Mine dropped 4% after 4 hours of charging it...I've sent about 10 texts, and been on facebook twice and left a few comments..battery has gotten strangely better

shortsxit

Reaction score
First, I'm a huge TBolt supporter. I think almost everything about the phone is great, however...

the battery problems are absolutely true. Make sure you have a charger or extra/extended battery on you. Yes, there are battery conservations methods, but they can only do so much for you. The people who are saying they get 8 hours of heavy use on top of 12 hours standby plus GPS and all that have no idea what heavy use really is. I'm honestly not sure that you could get 36 hours of pure standby time.

alboboy10

Reaction score
First, I'm a huge TBolt supporter. I think almost everything about the phone is great, however...

the battery problems are absolutely true. Make sure you have a charger or extra/extended battery on you. Yes, there are battery conservations methods, but they can only do so much for you. The people who are saying they get 8 hours of heavy use on top of 12 hours standby plus GPS and all that have no idea what heavy use really is. I'm honestly not sure that you could get 36 hours of pure standby time.

HEAVY use I would give this phone 2 hours max lol. Unless the battery gets better with time.

Heavy use to me is the battery going to 108 Fahrenheit from excessive using. But idk if anyone uses their phone like that.

dtt255

Reaction score
Just get the expanded battery.

I have been running mine (second charge) for 15 1/2 hours and have about 45% left.

I use it VERY heavy..... exchange sync push, gmail every 5 min, streaming audio over web for about 4 hours today, etc.

Love this battery!

Shubox

Reaction score
Have you seen the commercial with the guy hooking up the cables on the roof and the lightning strikes and makes the phone activate ya he needed that to charge it after normal use. I am in the process of setting up the same setup to keep this phone charged lol

Sent from my ADR6400L

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
To save battery life you need to go to googles web site and download to your phone task killer. I saw a new one that is called advanced task killer. i am not sure this is a better one or not. The Verizon tech guy told me that the task killer will shut down all your task that run all the time. You just use your phone as you would normally would. Hope this helps you all that are having trouble with your Thunderbolt. I plan on buying the larger battery when I buy the thunderbolt.

Please do not discuss task killers/managers in this thread. Search the forum for further information on the issue. Thanks

want a droid

Reaction score
Have you seen the commercial with the guy hooking up the cables on the roof and the lightning strikes and makes the phone activate ya he needed that to charge it after normal use. I am in the process of setting up the same setup to keep this phone charged lol

Sent from my ADR6400L

Love this^

xier

Reaction score

Of course. Not too worried though. All we need is a 1800 to 1900 battery that fits under the same hood.

shortsxit

Reaction score

Of course. Not too worried though. All we need is a 1800 to 1900 battery that fits under the same hood.

I'd love that, but I honestly don't see it happening. They have a 1600, but I think that's about as far as they'll get.

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I believe a dark wallpaper *does* make a difference on an LCD screen.

It is true that the backlight remains on even with a dark screen, but that's not where the power savings comes from. The reason you can save some juice is because the natural state of the liquid crystal matrix is OFF, meaning blocks the backlight. You have to supply a current to maintain any pixel in the ON state. By using a dark wallpaper, fewer pixels need to be electrically *twisted* into the ON position.

Disclaimer: My background is physics, not engineering, and we're not in a perfect sphere surrounded by a pure vacuum. :)

For OLED (AMOLED, SAMOLED) screen technologies, having a darker background CAN help save some battery life. For modern LCD screens, it does not matter what color your pixels are, as long as they are on they are consuming the same amount of power. With AMOLED, they do not have one big backlight like with LCD, but rather each pixel lights up on its own, so it consumes more power if its a light color as opposed to a dark color. In fact, some even say that black actually uses MORE energy on an LCD screen to display than white. To block out the light coming from the backlight source, the LCD screen uses a diffuser, which uses more power. This is why people say that AMOLED screens have better darks and blacks than LCD screens, because all they are doing is turning that pixel off. However, the difference in power for LCD screens based on background color is so negligible that it is a non-issue. At the same time, I find everything easier to read/view with darker backgrounds as opposed to lighter ones anyway, so finding the optimal screen brightness is the most important thing.

Last edited:

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Sigh. My battery issues are back. Today I had to charge twice with pretty lift use. No games, justsome ligt texting and 20 minutes or so of talking. It was also rather warm today and very laggy. Now it is back o fast and has cooled down. O think mine has mood issues.