Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I deleted juicedefender. I did install the one that prevents apps from starting. I haven't seen much of a difference.. and I can't really give any accurate numbers because I have gotten into the habit of charging in the car. I think I am going to order another stock battery or maybe the Seido one just in case. I do know that it has been so greatly improve that I can't complain. I just can't wait to root so that I can get all the bloatware off and speed it up even more!

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Green power is similar to juice defender but it actually works.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

I've been using juice defender beta just fine for about three days now. it has helped, but I can't say for sure that is the main reason for my better battery life, I've made a few other changes as well.

Plus the battery just seems to be working better after a few charge cycles, and I didn't really have that much of an issue in the first place. It was about as good out of the box as my D1 was stock.

Yeah I disagree with my wording up above, it isn't that Juice Defender doesn't work, it's the fact that it is very limited in terms of features unless you pay for Ultimate Juice. Battery Fu is like Ultimate Juice without the price tag (free) and Green Power for $1.49 is like Ultimate Juice without the price tag.

On a personal note I like Battery Fu and Green Power user interfaces because it's about as simple as they come.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I may give them a try. On this subject, does anyone know what's up with Juice Defender? I read somewhere that the premium version did not work with the Thunderbolt, but I don't think the free version does either. I enable it and it seems to start. When I go back to check it it has been disabled. Am I missing a step or something? It looks good and as though the developer spent a lot of time on it. I uninstalled it, but wanted to give it a try too.

Startup Cleaner, is that an app killer? I've heard those are pretty useless. Have you tried Powermax by itself? I'm going to go with Powermax alone at first.

Battery Fu or Green Power are good alternatives to Juice Defender.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Got the 2750 with the phone last week and never looked back. The back is only slightly thinker through the middle and it adds a bit of weight. I actually like the feel. It goes all day and then some. If I am using nav I have it plugged it but otherwise its perfect. It's an extended battery world we live in.

I like your thinking, but I'm coming from the D1, where the battery life was horrible even in standby mode. My TB gets better battery life all the way around, not to mention that it feels like it's 10 times faster than my over clocked D1. The HTC Sense is smooth and fast.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This is the best I've seen out of my battery. I'm rooted and bloatware is gone.

15hours and it was at 10%.

DrewB

Reaction score
I did a yet last night to see what helps. I love this phone and always on. Usually got any where from 6-8 hours on one charge. So after reading a few posts and watching a few videos I tried some bat saving tips. Just 2 really. I got rid of my bat percentage widget and I manually put the brightness down to 20%. I started the test with 90% and am now at 40% and its been on for 15 hours with 3.5 hours awake.

Edit: not in 4g area

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok here's what i did today, I bump charged my battery, dimmed down to nothing, my startup cleaner cleaned 24 Bloatware and data apps at startup at 7:35 this morning, I toggeled the radio to cdma auto prl (yes I'm in a 4g area) and I turned my data off nearly the entire day, I also removed the battery left widget that was recommended to monitor battery life, however I sent around 50 texts and listened to music for 5 hours, I DO NOT STREAM IT IT HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED ONTO MY SD CARD FROM ITUNES, as I type this it is 12:30 only five hours later and I have done virtually nothing data related and I'm at 51%, not sure what I'm doing wrong because I've set all apps that sync to not sync unless I manually sync them, I had juice defender but it really wasn't doing much so I unonstalled it, last thing I've done is only reboot once because for some reason that too takes a lot of battery.
All three days I've had the phone I have unplugged at 7:35 and every day when school is over I'm at 26% when I've down nothing with it.
What should I do? Return it and ask for a new model since some other people phones are getting 15 hours with heavy LTE usage and I'm lucky to get 8 with no LTE usage at all?
When is that stupid ota coming out and what will it most likely do?

Departed from the Stratosphere

jdm627

Reaction score
I started some years a go with HTC TP so never resolved the battery drain and now we have almost a laptop in our hands and nobady resolved the Laptop battery drain too.
For me the battery drain will never finish for long time and HTC have this problem for years.
My solution: extra battery, cahrger in my car,office and home.

Daethian

Reaction score
I'm not reading 50 pages to see if this has been mentioned but the Power Saver option seems to handle a lot of these settings for you. So I suppose you could set the threshold to 90% or something and the phone should cut back the battery hogs.

Anyway great list! I plan to link to this list in my blog post reviewing my new TB.

perfoliate

Reaction score
I've been off the charger for 9 and a half hours. Screen on just over an hour. 20 minutes of calls. Sitting at 70% battery left after setting the screen off profile to the lowest Max in setcpu. That's pretty great as far as I'm concerned. I think something had been running full speed in the background while the screen was off.

Sent from my ADR6400L

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
I'm not reading 50 pages to see if this has been mentioned but the Power Saver option seems to handle a lot of these settings for you. So I suppose you could set the threshold to 90% or something and the phone should cut back the battery hogs.

Anyway great list! I plan to link to this list in my blog post reviewing my new TB.

Thanks, you should not have to read all the pages in this thread to find the tips, everything worthwhile I compiled is in the first post so always look there first. HTC's built-in Power Saver function is tip #39. I have mine set to turn on at 15% left.

w0lfinator

Reaction score
I thought I'd chime in since I got this phone a week ago. This phone is unbelievable. These battery issues are completely overblown. Yesterday(with moderate usage) I had about 30% battery left after 17 hours unplugged.

Currently, I am 8.5 hours unplugged with light to moderate usage(including 40 minutes of music) and I have 60% battery left. Battery Left Widget(which isn't fully calibrated yet) is saying that I have 10.5 hours remaining.

I am absolutely blown away by the battery life.

Some of my techniques include a lower brightness(about 20%) and I have a lot of my syncs set up to only sync when I view them (Email still comes in by the second though). I then set up Tasker(unreal program) to turn off data when I turn my screen off and enable it every 15 minutes for 1 minute at a time until I unlock the phone again. Tasker is also set up to turn on WIFI when I get to my home. The battery is not gashed with the WIFI check, because it will only start scanning for WIFI when I am by my cell tower. When it connects to a WIFI connection, it then stops scanning.

I am not experiencing ANY difference between my D1 and TB in regards to not getting emails/messages/syncs on a regular basis, yet my battery is lasting almost 3 times as long.

Also, I am in a constant 4G area.

jdm627

Reaction score
I thought I'd chime in since I got this phone a week ago. This phone is unbelievable. These battery issues are completely overblown. Yesterday(with moderate usage) I had about 30% battery left after 17 hours unplugged.

Currently, I am 8.5 hours unplugged with light to moderate usage(including 40 minutes of music) and I have 60% battery left. Battery Left Widget(which isn't fully calibrated yet) is saying that I have 10.5 hours remaining.

I am absolutely blown away by the battery life.

Some of my techniques include a lower brightness(about 20%) and I have a lot of my syncs set up to only sync when I view them (Email still comes in by the second though). I then set up Tasker(unreal program) to turn off data when I turn my screen off and enable it every 15 minutes for 1 minute at a time until I unlock the phone again. Tasker is also set up to turn on WIFI when I get to my home. The battery is not gashed with the WIFI check, because it will only start scanning for WIFI when I am by my cell tower. When it connects to a WIFI connection, it then stops scanning.

I am not experiencing ANY difference between my D1 and TB in regards to not getting emails/messages/syncs on a regular basis, yet my battery is lasting almost 3 times as long.

Also, I am in a constant 4G area.
The solution it´s like this not only with HTC!!!

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
juicedefender doesn't work for me. Every time I get it all setup it crashes. I have the pro version too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

tu3218

Reaction score
I hear some of you guys saying to take off the Battery Left widget...is that known to make the battery life worst? I just started using it and would like some opinions on it.