Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

want a droid

Reaction score
Probably shouldn't be streaming music for 3 hours

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

tu3218

Reaction score
Someone please help me, I. Unplugged my phone at 730 this morning and its ten percent at 4:09

I have juice defender on so that it turns my signal off when the screen is off, I have start up cleaner, brightness all the way down, I turned off the syncing apps, I bump charged my battery, I turn offf data all together almost eighty percent of the time I use this device. I don't evenly heavily use it, most I do is listen to music for 3 hours, send a couple texts, browse the forums and make about two phone calls and my batter is dying so fast, what should I do? I have to 1400 HTC standard stock batteries and a couple bucks to throw around to get something better, please please help me

Departed from the Stratosphere

are you within 4G coverage? I'm not in 4G so its hard to comment but if you are, then that seems like that type of battery most people are getting within 4G areas. Make sure you disable blockbuster updating, thats a rather new tip that makes a difference. Also if your aren't exactly in 4G coverage, are you right outside of it or in a area that has bad signal. Searching for signal or going back and forth between 4G/3G/1x always kills batteries.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Someone please help me, I. Unplugged my phone at 730 this morning and its ten percent at 4:09

I have juice defender on so that it turns my signal off when the screen is off, I have start up cleaner, brightness all the way down, I turned off the syncing apps, I bump charged my battery, I turn offf data all together almost eighty percent of the time I use this device. I don't evenly heavily use it, most I do is listen to music for 3 hours, send a couple texts, browse the forums and make about two phone calls and my batter is dying so fast, what should I do? I have to 1400 HTC standard stock batteries and a couple bucks to throw around to get something better, please please help me

That's a lot of things you did there...Get the extended battery from Verizon, the 2750. A lot of people aren't getting 10 hours by barely using it, let alone streaming and texting and forums

alboboy10

Reaction score
If you're worried about battery life, the best advice I can give you is to put a widget on the home screen or another widget for wifi and data network,this way you can turn on 4g only when you need to use it. Turn off the data network and always leave on wifi. Your phone will notify you when a network is available. Using wifi using virtually no battery life compared to using 3g/4g. I have been doing this for month and have never had my phone die on me.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Turning off data is actually really smart. On my DX it shut off every 15 mins of no use.

What widget is there to turn off data on the TB? If there is one you probably wouldn't even need to toggle between 3G or 4G.

tu3218

Reaction score
If you're worried about battery life, the best advice I can give you is to put a widget on the home screen or another widget for wifi and data network,this way you can turn on 4g only when you need to use it. Turn off the data network and always leave on wifi. Your phone will notify you when a network is available. Using wifi using virtually no battery life compared to using 3g/4g. I have been doing this for month and have never had my phone die on me.

Turning off data is actually really smart. On my DX it shut off every 15 mins of no use.

What widget is there to turn off data on the TB? If there is one you probably wouldn't even need to toggle between 3G or 4G.

why do you say its not smart to turn data off?

alboboy10

Reaction score

I didnt...I said it IS smart. Which is why I followed by asking what widget or toggle u use to turn off data when not using it

tu3218

Reaction score

I didnt...I said it IS smart. Which is why I followed by asking what widget or toggle u use to turn off data when not using it

Wow, that was pretty bad reading on my part lol If your looking for what your DX did, juice defender turns off data when the screen is off.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sense turns it off when its not needed. That's what juice is mimicking for motos

Sent from my Rooted HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score

are you within 4G coverage? I'm not in 4G so its hard to comment but if you are, then that seems like that type of battery most people are getting within 4G areas. Make sure you disable blockbuster updating, thats a rather new tip that makes a difference. Also if your aren't exactly in 4G coverage, are you right outside of it or in a area that has bad signal. Searching for signal or going back and forth between 4G/3G/1x always kills batteries.

Yea, I'm in 4G, I'm not fading in and out either,

tu3218

Reaction score
Sense turns it off when its not needed. That's what juice is mimicking for motos

sense turns data when its not needed? I was not aware of that.

That very well could be the battery life you will get in 4G.

Reaction score

sense turns data when its not needed? I was not aware of that.

That very well could be the battery life you will get in 4G.

Chris, what are you doing with yours to get such life? Pm me?

alboboy10

Reaction score
What if you want data to be off UNLESS you want to use it. For example on my DX under settings I used to change it, and whenever I went on internet it turned data back on.

So even when your phone is turned on, if you don't want data to be on it shouldn't be on.

Can juice defender do that as well? I hear a lot of people talk about juice defender, but some people are giving positive feedback on it and some are giving negative feedback.

tu3218

Reaction score
What if you want data to be off UNLESS you want to use it. For example on my DX under settings I used to change it, and whenever I went on internet it turned data back on.

So even when your phone is turned on, if you don't want data to be on it shouldn't be on.

Can juice defender do that as well? I hear a lot of people talk about juice defender, but some people are giving positive feedback on it and some are giving negative feedback.

Right, thats what juice defender does. The default settings is it turns off data when screen is off, and turns it back on when the screen comes on. I tried it a couple of days ago but I feel like I didn't see much difference, but it would have to make some difference. I was thinking maybe because I turn my screen on and off so much that it was flipping back and forth to much. I'm guessing if your screen is gonna be off for awhile it would help a lot. Maybe someone can confirm it for me but does turning 3G on and off hurt the battery?

Last edited:

sammyboy405

Reaction score
My battery acts like it drains fast at first. Gets to about 75% and the slows way way down. Moderate to.high usage on 3g and I get about 10hours. On 4g I get about 8 hours now. When I first got the phone it didn't last but a couple of hours max! But seems like the more I used it and charged it the better the battery got. I'm super happy with the battery performance today vs when I first got the phone.

Sent via my HTC Thunderbolt.