This, the RAZR, or wait?

akhi216

Reaction score
That is one of the compelling reasons I bought the Droid Razr. I wanted a newer phone with an established operating system. I wasn't interested in being an Ice Cream Sandwich beta tester with apps which aren't formatted properly for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Ice Cream Sandwich beta tester...that's the best I've heard it labeled.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

ice456789

Reaction score
16G is far from official. In fact it's far more likely it's 32G
Glad I'm not the only one! The most recent leak says 16gb, but we've had far more 32gb leaks including all the LTE test phones. People tend to only look at the most recent leak instead of considering all the evidence.

DroidHoff

Reaction score
The gnex will be an awesome phone but so is the the rezound and the razr. I've had sense and didn't much care for it over vanilla android. But after having my razr now for over a week, I'm actually quite impressed with what moto has done to android! For starters smart actions should be a mandatory built in app on all of android. Using it daily has increased my battery life two fold. I know get at least a full day of moderate to heavy use because of it. We will eventually get ics as well so that wasn't a factor!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

akhi216

Reaction score
The latest leaks from test LTE Galaxy Nexuses suggest that they have 32 GB of storage space. When choosing between getting the Droid RAZR or waiting for the Galaxy Nexus, being first to get updates from Google is essentially a non-issue considering that the majority of apps won't be optimized for it for a while (whichs leads to frustration). You'll have software that's optimized for the Galaxy Nexuses hardware, but when it comes to running third party apps, you'll be basically the equivalent of an ICS beta tester. If you don't mind having to wait for app developers to play catch up then the Galaxy Nexus is a solid choice. But if getting updates first is a primary concern, then remember that you can always root a non-Nexus phone get them briefly after they're released from Google. With that being said if you want a superior build quality and radios, the Droid RAZR is for you. If only specs matter to you can check out the Rezound while your checking out the Galaxy Nexus because everything that one has the other has something that makes it stand out more.

greg_p

Reaction score
that's exactely the dilemn I am in ...
GNex has an unlocked bootloader, so I can repo sync ICS, mod and flash it again, be free of modding what I want. It has ICs and a very optimized phone (even if apps are not optimized for it, it will work anyway). all android communities are currently contributing to this phone... It has also a better soc but...
Razr has a cool shape, cool accessories, 16bg (in fact 8 for storage, other are taken by system and apps partition) + sdcard, hdmi port, and will soon get ICS (well soon... we're talking on an update of a moto phone :D)... And performance will bever be too bad (only GPU has a bit less mhz), un less I think battery life will be better on razr - all things been equal...

djras1

Reaction score
I am due for upgrade 12-05. I have been looking forward to the RAZR (used to have the 1st gen RAZR flip phone and loved it). I bought a Samsung Fascinate and Droid 2 last year in early November. The Droid had Froyo and the Fascinate had rev 2.1 (Don't know what that was called) with Froyo update promised RSN (Real Soon Now). It took MONTHs to get Froyo and there still is no official Verizon GB for the Fascinate. My wife got GB OTA update in early Sept and her battery life went to 2 days between chages (WOW). I just last week decided to put a GB hack for Fascinate and am happy so far... (but not 2 days between charges).

So... for those afraid to wait too long with Moto updating the RAZR... I would be more worried about Samsung/Verizon updating the Nexus... except for the fact that Nexus is plain ICS. I'll see if Nexus is available in 2 or 3 weeks and make my decision based on side by side... in MY hand comparison.

akhi216

Reaction score
So... for those afraid to wait too long with Moto updating the RAZR... I would be more worried about Samsung/Verizon updating the Nexus... except for the fact that Nexus is plain ICS.

Traditionally, Nexus phones get updated by Google rather than the carrier/manufacturer, but Verizon's bloat (two apps but hey, bloat is bloat lol) makes it technically a non-Nexus, thus buyers of the may be subjected to the Verizi-shaft being the last to receive updates.

stragabenz

Reaction score
I am getting tired of waiting for the Gnex and I have been hearing good things about the RAZR overall. Only two things really concern me is a non-removable battery (what is the cost of replacing the battery if it needs to be changed 1.5 years from now?) How many months will I need to wait for the RAZR to get ICS??

triplejnj

Reaction score
Just played around with a Razr at Best Buy and gotta say, the fit and finish of the phone is fantastic. The kevlar back really does give it a nice feel. I wasn't bothered by the wideness of the bezel around the screen. The phone did not feel abnormally wide to me. I looked VERY close at the screen and wasn't bothered by the screen resolution. I did not notice pixels as others have mentioned. I did however notice the blueish tint when looking at the screen off angle. On "Automatic" brightness the screen was not nearly bright enough. I turned it up to about 80% and it looked good. Not sure what that does to battery life.
While pleased with the snappiness, I wasn't "blown away" by the phone, mainly because its the same OS I've been using on my Droid 1 (rooted, overclocked, running a GB ROM). I've been waiting on the Nexus to make my final decision on the Droid 1 replacement. This is pretty much only because of ICS. After playing with the Razr, I think the Nexus will just feel a bit 'cheap' in the hand. I don't think I'll be waiting any longer, especially since the Razr will be getting ICS early next year-- at this rate it may even be around the same time the Nexus is released.

Gleason81

Reaction score
I finally got to try out the Rezound at Best buy...its so tiny compared to the Razr...plus I really didn't notice a difference in screen res...all these people that can tell must be using a magnifying glass. I love the Razr and the new direction Motor is taking with Blur. The Nexus will be another plasticity cheap feeling phone with a nice screen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Word on the magnifying glass thing. People are waaaayyy to critical of the whole pentile thing. Seriously, are these people using their phones 3 inches from their face???