Nexus or Razr?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
5.0? Keep dreaming

The Nexus S went from 2.3 to 4.0 so it doesn't seem too ridiculous. I'm sure there won't be such a massive UI overhaul like there was with 4.0 anytime soon (that would deserve a whole +1.0 version update), but I wouldn't bet against the G-Nex receiving any less updates than the Nexus S.

Reaction score
What ever you do, do NOT buy razr. Decide between nexus or maxx. Concerning white phone, a nice tpu case will turn either one of them white and add protection on top. I bought my wife maxx because she uses phone a lot and would have to worry about battery. She is not as tech savy as myself and doesn't care about ics, root, bootloader.

Both will have ics eventually but if she uses a phone a lot, nexus screen kills extended battery in 4-5 hours easy. Maxx having smaller screen and larger battery requires less concerns about conserving power.

And I don't understand all this talk about gimmick. Both phones are designed for particular audience and each one has its own pros and cons. Calling something a gimmick because your phone doesn't have it is silly. Just accept a fact that you don't have it, but you have something else.

Completely disagree. If you needed the extra battery then sure go with the maxx. But to say that one should never get a razr just because of this is a stretch. I personally would save the $100 and get the razr over the maxx. My battery last all day and considering that you are not supposed to run your battery low, it is best to pop it on a charger for small quick charges throughout the day to prolong the life of the battery, the $100 it's not worth it.... for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
The Nexus S went from 2.3 to 4.0 so it doesn't seem too ridiculous. I'm sure there won't be such a massive UI overhaul like there was with 4.0 anytime soon (that would deserve a whole +1.0 version update), but I wouldn't bet against the G-Nex receiving any less updates than the Nexus S.

I am not saying 5.0 is not possible in the future but to say that gnex will have 5.0 while razr is still on 4.0 is a stretch.

By the time gnex had 5.0 it too will be out dated and there will be a far superior device to any that is out now.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I am not saying 5.0 is not possible in the future but to say that gnex will have 5.0 while razr is still on 4.0 is a stretch.
By the time gnex had 5.0 it too will be out dated and there will be a far superior device to any that is out now.

Unfortunately, with the length of time it takes Moto to build software with their custom overlay it certainly isn't that much of a stretch (unfortunately for Razr owners). The Nexus S (runs 4.0 now and the Razr is currently at 2.3). I'm well aware there will be better hardware out down the road (if not already), but I was referring more specifically to software, not hardware.

Edit: keep in mind that the Nexus S was released November/December of '10.

Last edited:

twright86

Reaction score
No-one buys the razr for Kevlar so that "gimmick" doesn't matter. The phone is a beast. As for moto blur, when ics comes to the razr if moto blur its not built in I will stay with gb ..... and I am sure I am not the only one. Blur does not take away from the experience, it makes it better.

5.0? Keep dreaming.

Why is 5.0 for the GNex so hard to believe?

It's already in development, infact I bet Gnex gets it before anything, because it's a developer phone...we will be trying it first. Then Moto will get the sloppy seconds 6-8 months later, on probably quad core phones while the Razr is left in the dust.

I know that's hard to swallow.

Anyway, back to the OP. Just get her what she wants, or the Razr or Rezound or something. That's what all the ex-GN users are using, or what I've heard. You know what, just get her the magic kevlar phone that takes your dog for a walk, and cures cancer and is one agreement in the middle east away from having total world peace.

crashN2u

Reaction score
Completely disagree. If you needed the extra battery then sure go with the maxx. But to say that one should never get a razr just because of this is a stretch. I personally would save the $100 and get the razr over the maxx. My battery last all day and considering that you are not supposed to run your battery low, it is best to pop it on a charger for small quick charges throughout the day to prolong the life of the battery, the $100 it's not worth it.... for me.

Actually, the type of batteries that cell phones use today should be run down as low as possible. 2-3 times a month it should be completely drained and charged to 100% while off. Keeping it plugged in all the time, especially when fully charged can damage and shorten the lifespan of the battery. A spare battery should never be drained for too long. It should be charged at least once a month to keep the electrons flowing.

For example, I put away my OG Droid for a few months before deciding to sell it. I wanted to list how long the battery would last in my auction so I charged and drained it. Got about 4 1/2 hours out of it. I asked my wife to drain and charge it a few times. She never drained it all the way and the battery life didn't get any better. I drained and charged it 3 times and improved the battery life to over 7 hours.

Take care of the battery right and it will perform like it should. I get 16+ hours on my Razr with moderate use. With light use, I've gone almost 2 days.

Reaction score
Why is 5.0 for the GNex so hard to believe?

It's already in development, infact I bet Gnex gets it before anything, because it's a developer phone...we will be trying it first. Then Moto will get the sloppy seconds 6-8 months later, on probably quad core phones while the Razr is left in the dust.

I know that's hard to swallow.

Anyway, back to the OP. Just get her what she wants, or the Razr or Rezound or something. That's what all the ex-GN users are using, or what I've heard. You know what, just get her the magic kevlar phone that takes your dog for a walk, and cures cancer and is one agreement in the middle east away from having total world peace.

I wouldn't be so sure. With Google buying Motorola, don't be surprised if moto phones start getting the os updates first.

Reaction score
Actually, the type of batteries that cell phones use today should be run down as low as possible. 2-3 times a month it should be completely drained and charged to 100% while off. Keeping it plugged in all the time, especially when fully charged can damage and shorten the lifespan of the battery. A spare battery should never be drained for too long. It should be charged at least once a month to keep the electrons flowing.

For example, I put away my OG Droid for a few months before deciding to sell it. I wanted to list how long the battery would last in my auction so I charged and drained it. Got about 4 1/2 hours out of it. I asked my wife to drain and charge it a few times. She never drained it all the way and the battery life didn't get any better. I drained and charged it 3 times and improved the battery life to over 7 hours.

Take care of the battery right and it will perform like it should. I get 16+ hours on my Razr with moderate use. With light use, I've gone almost 2 days.

I have never run my batteries down all three way and almost never get below 20% and my D1 battery and Dx still lasts all day.

crashN2u

Reaction score
I just don't get why people love Samsung products so much. They make some quality components, but can't put together a quality product.

From their TVs and appliances to their tablets, laptops and phones. Cheaply made and always breaking, yet they consistently get rave reviews, even when a similar product outperforms it. I wish consumer reports would explain to me why a TV with better display and specs gets a lower score than the Samsung equivalent. Last time I checked, the display is what lets a TV do what it's supposed to, so shouldn't the superior display and specs get the highest score?

Same with phones. It's a phone. I should have a stable cell and data connection so I can call people and access data. Otherwise, why have a cell phone.

It's no wonder Apple is always suing them, seems like Samsung is starting to steal their customers.

Yes, I'm madBro. Working in the industry, I get sick of the BS everyday. And no, I don't work for one of their competitors.

/ rant

To the OP, all the manufacturers have their flaws, hell, I swore I'd never get another Motorola after my last one. They sucked me in with them gimmicks though. Glad they did. Don't care for Sense and HTC don't make phones like they used to. Samsungs suck up resources and aren't long-term upgrade friendly. Motorolas work, or they don't. If they don't, forget about your manufacturer's warranty, that and their customer service is beyond horrible. No matter what she chooses, it'll be the less of 3 evils so she needs to find one that meets her needs the best.

crashN2u

Reaction score
I have never run my batteries down all three way and almost never get below 20% and my D1 battery and Dx still lasts all day.

You may be getting a full day, but you're probably not getting the most you can. When I get in front of a keyboard I'll post the whys behind it.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fanboyism and biased aside....

Depends on what she wants in the store. My experience with the " big 3" (RAZR, Rezound and G Nex) solid overall out the box I would give that to the RAZR. I also agree at this point in time I would pick the Maxx just for the massive battery. No matter which forum you post this on, you wont get totally unbiased responses from everyone. Only a handful.

For reception, phone and data the RAZR is the best bet. Timely updates the G Nex. Extras the RAZR and Rezound are nice. Most everything else after reception and updates will be preference. I have experienced data issues with all 3....so dont let that discourage you with any LTE phone. They ALL can have issues. I posted this recently...the severity of the issue is the x factor. All I will say is the RAZR was the least annoying between all 3.
I just don't get why people love Samsung products so much. They make some quality components, but can't put together a quality product.

From their TVs and appliances to their tablets, laptops and phones. Cheaply made and always breaking, yet they consistently get rave reviews, even when a similar product outperforms it. I wish consumer reports would explain to me why a TV with better display and specs gets a lower score than the Samsung equivalent. Last time I checked, the display is what lets a TV do what it's supposed to, so shouldn't the superior display and specs get the highest score?

Same with phones. It's a phone. I should have a stable cell and data connection so I can call people and access data. Otherwise, why have a cell phone.

It's no wonder Apple is always suing them, seems like Samsung is starting to steal their customers.

Yes, I'm madBro. Working in the industry, I get sick of the BS everyday. And no, I don't work for one of their competitors.

/ rant

To the OP, all the manufacturers have their flaws, hell, I swore I'd never get another Motorola after my last one. They sucked me in with them gimmicks though. Glad they did. Don't care for Sense and HTC don't make phones like they used to. Samsungs suck up resources and aren't long-term upgrade friendly. Motorolas work, or they don't. If they don't, forget about your manufacturer's warranty, that and their customer service is beyond horrible. No matter what she chooses, it'll be the less of 3 evils so she needs to find one that meets her needs the best.

I thanked this...even tho I have a Samsung 46" that shoulda broke down in 2010, got it in 2008. Its still going strong to this day. For their monitors and TV's I like Samsung. For phones.....umm...ah....well....lol. I went with a Vizio recently and they might be the manufacture I go to for HDTV's from now on.

Last edited:

twright86

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. With Google buying Motorola, don't be surprised if moto phones start getting the os updates first.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Gnex is the developer unlocked phone, Razr gets the blurred Moto version. Sure maybe a a few months down the road when a quad core phone comes out from Moto, the newer phones will get the updates first, but the Razr will NEVER get the update first.

njs502

Reaction score
My 2 cents about GN vs RAZR MAxx

As background, I owned an OG Droid for 2 years. I owned the RAZR for 2 months before I switched to a Galaxy Nexus. I switched from the RAZR to the GNex because of data issues. I live in Baltimore with good 4G service. I however only used 3G to preserve battery life and to try and maintain as consistent of a data signal as possible. Sometimes, when I turned on my phone the 3G would come back on, other times it wouldn't. I thought it may have something to do with Smart Actions use, but even when I disabled it, I still had problems. I do still think that SA make it worse. I also never liked the feel of the RAZR in my hand. The sales person said I would get used to it, but I never did. Too thin and wide for my tastes, and I have moderately large hands. I also hated all the bloatware.
On the plus side, I liked MotoBlur. Telephone reception was good.
When I decided that I was switching phones, I was debating between getting Rezound and the GN (Maxx wasn't out yet). Don't dismiss the Rezound. It has the best telephone radio of the 3 (Razr, GN, Rezound). Since the Maxx is a Razr with a big battery, I assume the two are equivalent.
I went with the GN because I liked the way it felt in my hand (easier to type one handed), ICS, ability to root. I have been VERY happy with my GN. Sure, my reception is consisently one bar (or 10dBM) less than the Razr, but this has not resulted in any dropped calls or areas where I can not make a call where I previously could with the Razr. As a side note, I have rarely lost data connection with my GN. I do have the .10 baseband version and am stock, un-rooted atm. I will soon root to get the new 4.04 OTA update.
My recommendation would be for your wife to play around with each phone in the store for a while. Although I switched from the Razr, I would still consider the Maxx for the battery alone and hope the data issues get better with a patch. The GN has been an exceptional phone for me so far. ICS is AWESOME!

pabowhunter

Reaction score
As the saying goes: "When Mom is happy, everyone is happy" As many others said.. Let her decide... I currently own both the Razr and Gnex love them both for different reasons. They both have hiccups just in different areas.. My suggestion would be let her get the white Razr because women tend to find that visually appearance is most important, and It is a stable phone.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

From their TVs and appliances to their tablets, laptops and phones. Cheaply made and always breaking, yet they consistently get rave reviews, even when a similar product outperforms it.

This is such a blanket statement that is 100% opinion.

Samsung has some of the most incredible TV's to date, that's not an opinion that's a fact from anyone who uses or is familiar with high end flat screens.

The Nexus isn't cheaply made either, you haven't held one if you think it feels cheap, I assure you.

As for their tablets, they have been the only company even competing with the Ipad, so that doesn't fly there either.

Check out the reviews for Samsung refrigerators(you mentioned appliances) as well, you'll see they're anything but cheaply made.