AMOLED screens and that damn green tint...

jcardona1

Reaction score
So I just spent a lot of time today behind the wheel of the Rezound and I loved it, especially its HD LCD display. Putting it next to the Razr's AMOLED display I couldn't help but be bothered by how everything had a blue/green tint, especially the white colors. Opening up Google's home page really showed had bad whites look on AMOLED screens. And it's not just the Razr. Pretty much any phone with an AMOLED screen has this tint.

It's quite bothersome. Does anybody else have an issue with these strange tints on AMOLED screens? I'm starting to wonder how it's going to look on the Nexus. For example in these pics here from Droid Life, you can clearly see how the Nexus and Razr show a totally different color. I've never owned an AMOLED phone, but every time I play with one in stores, I'm turned off by how the whites look, even though all the other colors look great.

Am I the only one worrying about this?

Order:

Nexus
Rezound
Razr

nexus-rezound-razr-macro2-650x354.jpg

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Well after reading up on LCD vs AMOLED displays here's my verdict. Whether you go LCD or AMOLED you will have issues with colors, LCD's give off a dark grey for blacks and AMOLED's give off whites for whites. Now I also read that the tint varies with each handset so you may get lucky and get a G-Nex with nice whites. If you're not happy swap it out til you get one that meets your expectations.

B

bens42608

I agree with you. This is something I also thought about. Unfortunately these new phones seem to be going towards using amoled even though they don't look right. My cousin was showing everyones some pics on his phone at thanksgiving and I don't know what kind of phone he has but everything was green so I knew it was amoled. I feel bad saying it but the nexus is kind of disappointing to me with the camera specs and that display and it's going to need an extended battery plus no sd card slot. It's still a great phone to get because it's unlocked and developers are giving it priority but besides that the only thing better than my phone is that it is coming with ice cream sandwich but im getting that update eventually so... no I am not excited for the nexus. It is not a game changer at all. Ill be keeping my bionic until quad cores and nanotube batteries are developed one day in the future

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

B

bens42608

Well after reading up on LCD vs AMOLED displays here's my verdict. Whether you go LCD or AMOLED you will have issues with colors, LCD's give off a dark grey for blacks and AMOLED's give off whites for whites. Now I also read that the tint varies with each handset so you may get lucky and get a G-Nex with nice whites. If you're not happy swap it out til you get one that meets your expectations.

No offense but in my opinion lcd's blacks aren't quite as dark as amoled but they're still black and they have no problem displaying black. While amoleds on the other hand have a serious problem with whites. They do not have a white pixel at all. Lcd's have a white pixel

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score

Interesting. Although I will say I didn't see any issues like that on the Rezound, at least not as noticeable like whites on AMOLED screens. We'll see. All the reviews say the Nexus screen is awesome. I hope they're right, and not just color blind :D

mzjin

Reaction score
Well the Nexus uses RGBG subpixels, and it looks like the Razr does the same thing. It makes sense to appear more green because you have 2 green subpixels

The screens actually tint blue, not green in my Razr.

Yes, Pentile screens suck. Super AMOLED sucks. I think we're dealing with it because Samsung owns the technology. OLEDs are supposed to be energy saving (not that that has ever prevented Android devices from being complete fails in this regard).

You can bet 100% that Apple is not going to be using this type of screen tech in the iPhone 5. And as a result, I'm betting the 4" iPhone 5 screen is going to look far superior than the Galaxy Nexus. Such is the world of technology, the technology either matures or gets abandoned. If Apple isn't doing it, you can also bet you're not going in the right direction.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score

That's another thing I noticed. The Razr's glass seems to have a blue tint itself. With the screen completely off, if you tilt it to an angle, you can see a blue color to the glass. Strange.

B

bens42608

Well the Nexus uses RGBG subpixels, and it looks like the Razr does the same thing. It makes sense to appear more green because you have 2 green subpixels

Yes, Pentile screens suck. Super AMOLED sucks. I think we're dealing with it because Samsung owns the technology. OLEDs are supposed to be energy saving (not that that has ever prevented Android devices from being complete fails in this regard).

You can bet 100% that Apple is not going to be using this type of screen tech in the iPhone 5. And as a result, I'm betting the 4" iPhone 5 screen is going to look far superior than the Galaxy Nexus. Such is the world of technology, the technology either matures or gets abandoned. If Apple isn't doing it, you can also bet you're not going in the right direction.

+1 well said. Phone will absolutely not have an amoled screen. Their Retina display has held the title for best display on the market without any legitimate competition. I have ny doubts that the nexus will be better- but hopefully it will be close- maybe it will be better idk- haven't seen one in person

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
No offense but in my opinion lcd's blacks aren't quite as dark as amoled but they're still black and they have no problem displaying black. While amoleds on the other hand have a serious problem with whites. They do not have a white pixel at all. Lcd's have a white pixel

Well after watching The Dark Knight trailer in 1080p on the Vigor I'd have to disagree, the blacks were definitely not true blacks. No matter what kind of display it is there are pros and cons, you just have to pick one that suits you. I like the Nexus' display from seeing it videos and the colors look amazing to say the least. Check out the screen comparison Razr vs Rezound vs G-Nex thread and you will see what I'm talking about with the blacks.

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
I made the mistake of comparing the display on the Rezound to the Bionic. Thought I stepped into the twilight zone. The display on that thing is worse than the old tv my parents had that needed pliers to change the channels lol

B

bens42608

Well after watching The Dark Knight trailer in 1080p on the Vigor I'd have to disagree, the blacks were definitely not true blacks. No matter what kind of display it is there are pros and cons, you just have to pick one that suits you. I like the Nexus' display from seeing it videos and the colors look amazing to say the least. Check out the screen comparison Razr vs Rezound vs G-Nex thread and you will see what I'm talking about with the blacks.

I am not calling you a liar, I believe you saw what you saw- but I must've gotten lucky and got the only lcd screen that shows amazing blacks. Lucky me! I even compared it side by side with the razr

Last edited by a moderator:

mzjin

Reaction score
I am not calling you a liar, I believe you saw what you saw- but I must've gotten lucky and got the only lcd screen that shows amazing blacks. Lucky me! I even compared it side by side with the razr

LCDs have no problems displaying black, it depends somewhat on backlighting used. The Apple Cinema displays (Thunderbolt Display/iMacs) use IPS screens have no problem displaying deep blacks.

B

bens42608

LCDs have no problems displaying black, it depends somewhat on backlighting used. The Apple Cinema displays (Thunderbolt Display/iMacs) use IPS screens have no problem displaying deep blacks.

I agree with you buddy

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't.

The inherent flaw with LCD is that they have to have their back light on to emit color, therefore you cannot truly produce blacks. You can produce dark grays.