This, the RAZR, or wait?

Chronic_Apathy

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a new phone during the next week or two, as my Droid R2D2 is towards the end of it's life. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to upgrade (I'm due at the end of January), but I'm going to do my best to upgrade early (if anyone has any advice on how to go about that, that would be wonderful), but in the meantime, I'm looking. Should I look at getting this, the RAZR, or is there something else that looks good on the horizon that would be worth waiting for (not more than a couple months)? I know neither of these has the physical keyboard, but beyond that, I don't know much about the comparison of their specs. Help?

DamirD1984

Reaction score
well, getting an early upgrade... depends when you signed the contract, when I signed mine, I had the option to upgrade 12 months early by paying an extra $50 on the subsidized price.

This waiting game is wearing my patience very thin...

If you can wait, then the SGN is the choice as of now. Also, about the 1st quarter of 2012, the Razr and the Rezound are expected to have ICS.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well the Motorola Droid HD (Dinara, or Denara), rumored to be released in January, is 'supposed' to be a beast. That's all I know, but than again, I heard this about a lot of phones.

Donsell

Reaction score
There is a compromise with everything.

Rezound has a nice screen with a high DPI, but no NFC, locked bootloader and Scense.
The Razr has a nice form factor, but a lower rez screen, no removable battery, locked bootloader and Blur.
The Nexus' final specs are still up in the air, but it might come with only 16Gb of storage, no SD card slot, but have an unlocked boot loader and be vanilla android.

So you have to figure out which compromises you can live with.

DamirD1984

Reaction score
There is a compromise with everything.

Rezound has a nice screen with a high DPI, but no NFC, locked bootloader and Scense.
The Razr has a nice form factor, but a lower rez screen, no removable battery, locked bootloader and Blur.
The Nexus' final specs are still up in the air, but it might come with only 16Gb of storage, no SD card slot, but have an unlocked boot loader and be vanilla android.

So you have to figure out which compromises you can live with.

I am leaning more and more towards the rezound... the lack of space on the SGN is something that I will have issues with... if its 16GB, which I have no idea whats accessible to us :-(

mthorn79

Reaction score
I finally got to try out the Rezound at Best buy...its so tiny compared to the Razr...plus I really didn't notice a difference in screen res...all these people that can tell must be using a magnifying glass. I love the Razr and the new direction Motor is taking with Blur. The Nexus will be another plasticity cheap feeling phone with a nice screen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kk4df

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a new phone during the next week or two, as my Droid R2D2 is towards the end of it's life. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to upgrade (I'm due at the end of January), but I'm going to do my best to upgrade early (if anyone has any advice on how to go about that, that would be wonderful), but in the meantime, I'm looking. Should I look at getting this, the RAZR, or is there something else that looks good on the horizon that would be worth waiting for (not more than a couple months)? I know neither of these has the physical keyboard, but beyond that, I don't know much about the comparison of their specs. Help?

For me, no question about it: wait

But I'm drawn to the Nexus because of my experience with the Moto DX and the "long" waits for updates, which are still filled with Verizon bloatware. I want to be free of all that.

Besides, have you seen ICS yet? It's amazing. I know the other phones will eventually get it, but the Nexus has it now, and will get updates as soon as Google makes them available. Plus, the top developers seem to be flocking to this phone. There will be some really cool apps with NFC (and maybe Android Beam) coming out. Plus the HD display is a winner, and the low light capabilities of the camera show in some tests to be pretty nice. That, and zero shutter lag (which I'm sure many newer phones can do) draw me towards the Galaxy Nexus.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Godric

Reaction score
Well the Motorola Droid HD (Dinara, or Denara), rumored to be released in January, is 'supposed' to be a beast. That's all I know, but than again, I heard this about a lot of phones.

I thought the Droid Razr was the Droid HD and Dinars was just the codename

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

akhi216

Reaction score
For me, no question about it: wait

But I'm drawn to the Nexus because of my experience with the Moto DX and the "long" waits for updates, which are still filled with Verizon bloatware. I want to be free of all that.

Besides, have you seen ICS yet? It's amazing. I know the other phones will eventually get it, but the Nexus has it now, and will get updates as soon as Google makes them available. Plus, the top developers seem to be flocking to this phone. There will be some really cool apps with NFC (and maybe Android Beam) coming out. Plus the HD display is a winner, and the low light capabilities of the camera show in some tests to be pretty nice. That, and zero shutter lag (which I'm sure many newer phones can do) draw me towards the Galaxy Nexus.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

The arguement that the Galaxy Nexus will have ICS first is rather moot considering the fact like 85% of apps won't be compatible with it. One can always root their phone to put ICS on it if that's their sole issue. I remember having an HTC EVO Shift 4G when it first came out, I got tired of waiting for HTC to push a Gingerbread update so I rooted it and put a Gingerbread ROM on it and hardly any of my apps would work properly causing me to wanna throw my phone out of the window. 4-6 months from now when making ICS-optimized apps will be standard, the Galaxy Nexus will be the champ in the speed department, but I for one will have moved on to bigger and better things.

My point that is getting updates first shouldn't be a primary factor in getting and Android phone for the aforemention reason. Now having an HD screen resolution with Retina Display class ppi is a reason to get it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
The arguement that the Galaxy Nexus will have ICS first is rather moot considering the fact like 85% of apps won't be compatible with it. One can always root their phone to put ICS on it if that's their sole issue. I remember having an HTC EVO Shift 4G when it first came out, I got tired of waiting for HTC to push a Gingerbread update so I rooted it and put a Gingerbread ROM on it and hardly any of my apps would work properly causing me to wanna throw my phone out of the window. 4-6 months from now when making ICS-optimized apps will be standard, the Galaxy Nexus will be the champ in the speed department, but I for one will have moved on to bigger and better things.

My point that is getting updates first shouldn't be a primary factor in getting and Android phone for the aforemention reason. Now having an HD screen resolution with Retina Display class ppi is a reason to get it.

I ran the leaked GB updates for the DX from the beginning and most apps worked fine in my experience.

Boot Manager

akhi216

Reaction score
I ran the leaked GB updates for the DX from the beginning and most apps worked fine in my experience.

Boot Manager

Well, FWIW a guy from the UK giving a review of the phone complained that too many apps weren't ICS-ready having the ability to use onscreen buttons. He said the on the Facebook app, he couldn't perform any functions that required the press of menu key because the app didn't display the onscreen menu key and there were no options to press a physical or capacitative off-screen key.

alucard9114

Reaction score
Im loosing my mind here i need a new phone but everything out now has a huge problem of some sort.I was willing to wait for the Nexus no matter when it came out but 16gb storage is pretty official at this point so im not a moron there is no way im paying $299 for a phone with only 16gb of ram.:mad:

alucard9114

Reaction score
Well, FWIW a guy from the UK giving a review of the phone complained that too many apps weren't ICS-ready having the ability to use onscreen buttons. He said the on the Facebook app, he couldn't perform any functions that required the press of menu key because the app didn't display the onscreen menu key and there were no options to press a physical or capacitative off-screen key.

I was afraid of that.Most apps will be updated within a few weeks-months of the Nexus release.Also there will be some kind of hack im sure to force the menu button this phone being open for devs and all.That 16gb is just killing me FTW

Deron

Reaction score
I remember having an HTC EVO Shift 4G when it first came out, I got tired of waiting for HTC to push a Gingerbread update so I rooted it and put a Gingerbread ROM on it and hardly any of my apps would work properly causing me to wanna throw my phone out of the window. 4-6 months from now when making ICS-optimized apps will be standard ...

That is one of the compelling reasons I bought the Droid Razr. I wanted a newer phone with an established operating system. I wasn't interested in being an Ice Cream Sandwich beta tester with apps which aren't formatted properly for it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums