Is the Nexus really all that?

adampalooza

Reaction score
So I got a Droid Razr Maxx with my upgrade and it's pretty awesome. Kinda. It works really well and the battery is stellar. I upgraded from an OG Droid and the Razr just doesn't feel the same as the OG. Almost like I don't even have Droid anymore. Motorola really sold out. Anyway, it sounds like the Nexus kinda has the experience I'm looking for. I'm not extremely familiar with rooting and modding but I'm willing to give it a shot...I wanted to do it with my Razr but the options are very limited and it seems like a much more difficult process. I'm still within the time frame to exchange for the Nexus and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it but literally the ONLY thing I'm apprehensive about is the battery life. I think the Maxx spoiled me. I want the Nexus so I can stay up to date on the Android OS and to have freedom with my device. I'm not necessarily looking for battery life like the Maxx but to make it through the day without charging all the time or swapping batteries would be acceptable. Thoughts? Advice?

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
I don't understand why you are saying moto sold put? Do you mean blur? Ghats not selling out that's just things company do to make the user interface more friendly. The nexus, while its awesome stock, really is a devolper phone that's why it came with a unlocked boot loader. I find this phone to be great but I've had my fair share of hiccups.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Nexus is a far superior device to the Maxx. Battery life on the Maxx is very impressive, but if you get the 2100mah extended for the Nexus you can easily get through a full day (within reason, depending on your usage patterns).

omgidfk

Reaction score
I had a Droid x before I upgraded and the razr felt identical to me. Same ginger breadness. So I went with the nexus which felt more like an upgrade. Once you go ICS you won't want to go back. All the Maxx has over the nexus is the battery in my opinion. If your not going to be away from a charger for 10+ hours you'll be golden.

And if you want to root and tinker, this is where it is at.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

VingInMedina

Reaction score
The battery life on the Nexus isn't anything like the MAXX. I have the Nexus and my wife has the MAXX. But, that said, I can still get though the day no problem. Have a charger in the car, so to and from work you can get an extra charge.

If you want to try playing around with new ROMS and such, I think you would find the NEXUS better because of the piece of mind that you can get from knowing that no matter what, you can aways get it back to stock.

I came to the Nexus from the OG Droid myself. The MAXX is a really cool device, and my wife is really happy with it, but it didn't feel the same to me either.

Either way, you will have a great phone.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Honey, it's all that AND a bag of chips.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every thread like this... :icon_ lala:

I think sb might be overstating a bit by saying it's "far superior" :)icon_ poke:), but I will say it's a much more addicting device than the Maxx is, and truly feels like a new experience over all other Android devices currently.

That said, there's a practical/pragmatic side to all of this... if you live in a fringe 4G area, you might do some research on other people with a Gnex in your area, as signal issues could be a big headache for you. If you're in a very strong 4G area, you might not have any issues. But it's no secret the Maxx has a stronger radio and handles the 3G/4G handoff better. Hopefully software updates will help the Gnex in that regard...

kparks

Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every thread like this... :icon_ lala:

I think sb might be overstating a bit by saying it's "far superior" :)icon_ poke:), but I will say it's a much more addicting device than the Maxx is, and truly feels like a new experience over all other Android devices currently.

That said, there's a practical/pragmatic side to all of this... if you live in a fringe 4G area, you might do some research on other people with a Gnex in your area, as signal issues could be a big headache for you. If you're in a very strong 4G area, you might not have any issues. But it's no secret the Maxx has a stronger radio and handles the 3G/4G handoff better. Hopefully software updates will help the Gnex in that regard...
Agreed.. The Nexus is a nice device and so is the maxx and from what ur saying I would keep the maxx the battery life is no where close

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Two whole different phones imo. Even when the other phones get ICS, it won't be the same experience as the Nexus. The Nexus is the only other device I've ever used that gave the same experience as the OG Droid. It gave me almost that same feeling when I first picked up my OG Droid (it was my first smartphone so it won't be the same), but in terms of the phone itself it is very similar to the Droid. It is a developers phone so support for it is huge, but even when stock it's a great phone (though better battery is definitely wanted). If someone were to want the stock experience try Android Revolution ROM, I've been using it since day 3 of ownership and other it being another ROM it's identical to stock as it's based off the stock ROM, just with much better battery life.

To compare the Nexus to any other device is apples to oranges to me. The other phones are great and I've had my hands-on time with both the Razr and Rezound, but they just feel old even though they're new. ICS won me over, no doubt about it. It's like having the future in my hands since Dec 15:D

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
The battery life on the Nexus isn't anything like the MAXX. I have the Nexus and my wife has the MAXX. But, that said, I can still get though the day no problem. Have a charger in the car, so to and from work you can get an extra charge.

If you want to try playing around with new ROMS and such, I think you would find the NEXUS better because of the piece of mind that you can get from knowing that no matter what, you can aways get it back to stock.

I came to the Nexus from the OG Droid myself. The MAXX is a really cool device, and my wife is really happy with it, but it didn't feel the same to me either.

Either way, you will have a great phone.

Is the Maxx really better on the battery versus the Nexus or is it just simply the larger size of the battery?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the Maxx really better on the battery versus the Nexus or is it just simply the larger size of the battery?

Mostly the size, and the fact that it can fit in a very slim profile.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
depends on what you want max is great phone with great battery life. it has moto radios which i doubt any would disagree with me when i say they are superior. it ultimately up to you . i know in our area moto has best reception .

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Just using this battery life chart:

AnandTech - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX Review - 1.8x The Battery

Look at the regular RAZR on this chart vs the G Nex and Rezound. Talk times being the biggest differences. Calculate the total battery life results and that should give you an idea about battery life on the Maxx vs the G Nex with an extended battery.

Disclaimers...the G Nex results might be on launch software. Updates might have made it better. Like the RAZR results might be on launch software too. I think the RAZR and G Nex had official updates addressing battery life recently.

I point to this chart cuz it has the Rezound on it....which might surprise some ppl with its results. Anandtech has been slacking up with smartphone reviews lately. By the time they do the Rezound the next HTC phone on Verizon will be out...lol

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
oooooooh!!!!,No he didnt start a thread asking,Is the Nexus really all that,-(hands on hip,rolling eyes at the same time,looking like Twan)LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING!!!!!!!!,just joking-yes its all that and a big of oddles of noodles-LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p