Thinking about getting a Droid 3...

phoenixus

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on this device? After reading the online reviews, the only thing I saw that was glaring is that it isn't an LTE phone. I'm currently on a droid 2 and was thinking of upgrading to this tomorrow, or possibly the droid X2.

I was thinking about the Bionic, but don't really care enough for LTE at this point to justify the price difference.

Thoughts?

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on this device? After reading the online reviews, the only thing I saw that was glaring is that it isn't an LTE phone. I'm currently on a droid 2 and was thinking of upgrading to this tomorrow, or possibly the droid X2.

I was thinking about the Bionic, but don't really care enough for LTE at this point to justify the price difference.

Thoughts?

Its awesome.
'Nuff said.

But really, it's fast, with a great keyboard. Thats all i need.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
IMO it is an awesome device. A big upgrade from the Droid or Droid 2. Of course, like all phones it has some cons. A LOT of bloatware is the one that bothers me the most. Also it just got rooted recently so if that matters. Overall, like I said, an awesome device.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

celtic11

Reaction score
I think its great. I guess it does have a lot of bloatware but this phone runs so much faster/smoother than the OG I had before that its not a big problem for me. Im a on screen keyboard guy but the physical keyboard is really nice. Battery life is fine for me. I get about 12 hours on medium/heavy usage and 14-16 on light/medium usage. Others have reported better but I haven't really done anything to improve it either.

OP
P

phoenixus

Reaction score
Am I reading it correctly in that this phone doesn't come with an sd card? Where do you store your music and photos then? Does the phone let you access the memory for things other than apps?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Am I reading it correctly in that this phone doesn't come with an sd card? Where do you store your music and photos then? Does the phone let you access the memory for things other than apps?

It doesn't. But it comes with 16gigs of internal storage already and you can buy an sdcard, or use an old one. I'm using mine from my og droid.

OP
P

phoenixus

Reaction score
Can you access those 16 GB to store music/photos/files?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can you access those 16 GB to store music/photos/files?

Yes you can. This internal memory is also your default memory storage. If you add an sd card, you will have to move files manually into it using a file explorer

xaelith

Reaction score
Yes you can. This internal memory is also your default memory storage. If you add an sd card, you will have to move files manually into it using a file explorer

…or you can set the sd card as the default saving location. When I opened the camera app the very first time, the phone noticed that i'd installed a card before turning it on, and asked if i'd like to make the removable storage the default.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
…or you can set the sd card as the default saving location. When I opened the camera app the very first time, the phone noticed that i'd installed a card before turning it on, and asked if i'd like to make the removable storage the default.

But it only works with photos and videos you take....it won't save downloaded files to it, they will go to the internal one. And if you already have files on the sd card prior to inserting it, you will have to move thos files to the internal for the phone to read them.

OP
P

phoenixus

Reaction score
Is there a chance of me buying this phone and it getting ousted at verizon/moto like the droid 2 did? It's crazy this phone has seen like no marketing

xaelith

Reaction score
...And if you already have files on the sd card prior to inserting it, you will have to move thos files to the internal for the phone to read them.

Odd...what problem has your phone had with files already on the sd card? I have some of my music files that I put on the card when I got my D1, and haven't had any issues.

@phoenixus: I find it odd, as well as it is a really nice device. What do you mean by ousted, though?

Reaction score
@phoenixus: I find it odd, as well as it is a really nice device. What do you mean by ousted, though?
I think he's talking about the sudden switch to droid 2 globals and the drop of all droid 2's that happened. It took my by surprise at how quick they rotated through them.

Edit: on topic... I like my phone, still has a few issues, but I'm sure they'll work them out. Coming from the og droid, even though I have both the random reboot and keyboard issues on both droid 3's I've had in my possession, I love this phone. Now with rooting available a couple customizations and it got even better.

-Saik0

Last edited:

davishusband

Reaction score
It has Gorrilla GLASS, i use the Raider version of skype, google it, video chat is great, I use my sd card from my moto droid 1, 32gb now yay! Its plenty fast, regular video camera is 1080 but not real rich in color, probably get a firmware update on that later. I chose this because I LOVE THE KEYBOARD, its not a 4g battery hog, seriously this is a great phone.

OP
P

phoenixus

Reaction score
Yeah I'm was referring to how fast the Droid 2 got kicked out the door. Not to mention support has been lackluster in the form of updates to say the least...I know the GB update is coming shortly, but I haven't had an update since last November. There are definitely still some outstanding issues on the phone