How is the Droid 3 ?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about Droid 3's for my two teenagers. They are ready for a smartphone but still want the useful keyboard for texting. I read some good reviews but recently heard rumors of software problems, reboots etc. What is your experience ?

Thanks

kabeeo

Reaction score
I have never had a better phone. I do a lot of customization in terms of launchers, etc altho I do not load the phone with a million apps. I have never had a software or reboot issue. I say go with it.

doobie711

Reaction score
the battery life is terribleeeeeeeeee. i cannot stress that enough. it is mighty fine phone. other than battery life it is the nicest android phone on vzw that also has a keyboard.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A ma zing. The battery life kind of sucked though at first. But the the leaked OTA update helped it go from 8-12 hours a day to at least trip days easy. So when the real update is out it should fix ask that.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

doobie711

Reaction score
:D doobie its cool and all but the basic specs still puts the droid3 under the thunderbolt
0_0 under? the droid 3 has all higher numbers compared to the thunderbolt except they have the same MP camera. idk about screen sizes. i do that if 4g is your shtick then that's cool. i don't have a 4g market within a 150mi radius. a friend got a thunderbolt and he bragged for a week about the speeds he got in ATL. then everybody got fed up and murdered him.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Get it, get it, get it! Best phone ever. I use the extended battery and I've maybe run it down one time.

DaddysDroid

Reaction score
It's a fantastic phone. On top of the fast processing speed, oodles of memory....there are so many 'little' advances from the D1 (which is what I came from with regards to smartphone)...things like being able to copy/paste text, multiple desktop screens, more advanced apps for social media (email, text, twitter, facebook, etc)...and being more linked with Google is a good thing IMO. Google+ and Google Chrome are great! You can actually load your music up there and stream to your phone from anywhere, etc. There's an app for printing from your phone (not Motoprint)...it's called Cloud Print which needs to be set up with Google Chrome.

And these forums!!!

Good luck with your recon.

chadwick108

Reaction score
Love it the 1080p video on a mobile device is awesome...battery life on stock rooted rom could be better... but I would have to say it is up there with the Droid 1 as to one of the best phones ever made!

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Deniki

Reaction score
I had a droid 2 since the first day it came out, then 2 weeks ago I got a droid 3. Wish I didn't, nothing but problems. Had winamp installed, it would randomly start playing a song all the time, finally removed it. Had to take it in because my speaker wasn't workingm I could only call when it was on speaker or I couldn't hear the person on the otherside. 9 out of 10 times I put it in the car dock it doesn't "read" that its in and wont launch the cardock app. Takes atleast a minute for Pandora to load a song. The aux cable that it came with doesn't work, I just hear static in my car speakers, so I use my old one and it works just fine. It has some nice features the droid 2 didn't but waaaaayyy more headaches so far too.

joeyx2

Reaction score
Well he's getting them for his two teenagers so I don't think the phone would be getting rooted, so roms or mods probably will not be done. Yes this phone is awesome except the battery so getting a extended battery would come in handy and im hoping this update will help out with that if we ever get it. I keep hearing by the end on this month but will see.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

R

rushmore

:D doobie its cool and all but the basic specs still puts the droid3 under the thunderbolt

?

Besides the 4g on the Tbolt, the D3 is better in specs and performance.

Much faster chipset (Flash is smoother and the N64 apps play games much smoother too)
Over 12gb more flash storage
Hot swappable sd card
Higher resolution
Screen looks much better in sun
Better codec support
Better audio DAC
Mirror mode

If by basic, you mean just about everything- ok.

davishusband

Reaction score
I'm thinking about Droid 3's for my two teenagers. They are ready for a smartphone but still want the useful keyboard for texting. I read some good reviews but recently heard rumors of software problems, reboots etc. What is your experience ?

Thanks

There is supposed to be an update by the end of the month that will fix many of the problems, this is the case with many smartphones when they come out. I read where people don't like the battery just think you get a 4 g phone they really burn up batteries!

Proud of my bloated D3, I don't miss unstable roms on my D1 at all!

REMilk

Reaction score
I upgraded from the OG Droid to the Droid 3. Personally, I could not be happier. My wife upgraded from a LG Envy 3 to a Droid 3 and she is pleased.

The major problem we have with the Droid 3 is similar to that of the majority, if not all smart phones, is battery life. It could be better.

We both noticed that battery life began improving after 4 or 5 days and even out (improved over day 1/2) after about 10 days.

I logged my activities for Monday (9/12/2011).
1. Fully charged the phone over night
2. On wifi, updated a couple of apps
3. On wifi, downloaded a couple of apps, emulators and game roms, and 2 ebooks
4. On wifi, auto sync Gmail
5. On wifi, auto sync other email
6. On 3G, USB-tethered phone to laptop for access to corporate (MS Exchange) email and calendar. Down loaded 10 mg of attachments, uploaded 7 mg of attachment. While tethered for 2+ hours there was no change in charge %.
7. For about 2 hours read an ebook
8. On wifi, watched the entire Monday Night Football game (3.5 hours) Go Patriots!

I also have my screen brightness set at 25%, not on auto. If I need a brighter screen when outside, I make it 100%.

I still had 32% left at the end of the day. (I use an app that measures by 1%).

Though not the heaviest user, I think you can see from the above list that battery life, though not fantastic, is not poor.

Verizon states that the upcoming update will improve battery life. This will be good.

Just my experience, your most likely will differ.