Please help me choose (droid 3 vs droid charge)

ConfusedPleaseHelp

Reaction score
I cannot choose between the Droid 3 or Droid Charge. This will be my first smartphone and touchscreen and am used to a physical keyboard but it is not to important (but I do kind of like the idea). I am not really technically advanced so I don't know what would be better the 4g 1 core processor or the 3g dual core processor. I want a phone that will last! I think I am leaning to the Droid 3 because of the keyboard but am really trying to weigh the options well.

Also things to add I am a very girly female, 20yrs old, and have a two yr old so photos/videos are always very important. And I don't want anything that has problems constantly (obviously) or is difficult to use.

Reaction score
There are a slew of new phones that just came out or are coming out that are better options than the Charge. Hell, I'd rather have a Thunderbolt than a Charge and I would take a Droid 3 over a Charge any day. As for a Keyboard, the Droid 4 is releasing on the 10th for $199.99 at Verizon to replace the Droid 3. However, the Droid 3 can be had for free at multiple online vendors and besides the 4G, the Droid 4 is a very mediocre upgrade from the Droid 3 when all is said and done. If you must have a keyboard you can also take a look at the Samsung Stratosphere which is like a smaller Charge with more memory and a full 5 row keyboard. It also depends if you live in a 4G area or an area about to get 4G. Also be aware that 4G eats up battery and if you don't have an old unlimited data plan, you can blow through the Verizon $30/mo data package very quickly with 4G since it is only 2GB. If you are not in a 4G area then there is really no reason to get a 4G phone right now.

OP
C

ConfusedPleaseHelp

Reaction score
Thanks:) I'll probably go with the Droid 3... I live out in the country so idk how much 4g really would matter. My husband has a 3g phone (Blackberry) and his works well out here.

bitz

Reaction score
I only reply as I just was just given a charge to repair. The charge may get better signal in country areas. I live in one and have to stick by windows to make calls from home with my d3. Working on the charge I noticed it gets 2 bars in my basement office, an absolute dead zone for my D3 (or previously D2G, D2 and D1). Can't speak for the 4g, or the phone in general as I'm just repairing it and flipping it, but something to think about or try before you make up your mind.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

dolpns13

Reaction score
I know someone who has the charge and after a few months of having it, say it's the worst phone they've had. Dropped calls, doesn't send texts, restarts itself

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

OP
C

ConfusedPleaseHelp

Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's feedback! Not knowing to much about phones it's great to have a little help! I'll let you know when I make my mind up and if I'm happy with my decision! But it still seems like the Charge is getting a lot worse reviews than the 3. and to respond to Bitz I do live in the country but not to far out and I do get pretty good service.. I was just stating before that my husband gets AWESOME 3g service out here, much better than he does at my parents house who live in town where he gets terrible service!! Guess that parts kind of strange (maybe we have a tower closer to us... idk what affects service and all) like I said I don't know to much about technology.. just the how to use it part!! haha :)

ahj4513

Reaction score
Are you looking for a free phone or one priced at about $100~$200?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Reaction score
If you are really only considering this two devices I would go with the droid 3. Many wife loves hers and she is planning to upgrade to the droid 4 in a couple of months but the droid 3 is solid. I have no real experience with the charge but both my wife and I do not like the feel of the phone. Motorola just makes solid during phones that don't feel cheap and we have always had great service.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
C

ConfusedPleaseHelp

Reaction score
To ahj4513 the cost isn't the matter I can get the droid 3 for 50 (with tons of accessories! like car charger, a car dock for gps use, and a charging dock) or the charge for 60 (with no accessories), I am getting it through my husband and I's company... and Jungle King 76 I have heard the same about the charge feeling cheap and since I have a 2 yr old I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING CHEAP haha. It's also nice to hear that your wife likes her Droid 3 ( I wanted to hear that a women likes it bc I heared it's a "men's phone" which seems a little sexist haha)

ahj4513

Reaction score
I don't understand... why droid 3 and charge? Iphone 4S is $200. Droid razr 16GB is $200. LG Spectrum is $200. Droid bionic is $150. HTC rezound is $200. !!!! Why droid 3 or charge??? I mean if you pay only $50 more, you can get verizon's flagship phones!!!!!

bassmankc

Reaction score
My wife picked up the rezound on Monday and she is loving it, but if the physical keyboard is your thing pick up the 4 on Friday

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

wcjeep

Reaction score
Go Droid 4 or htc rezound to future proof your purchase. The other phones mentioned most likely will not get the latest android. Ice Cream Sandwhich. If you are going to pay for data go 4g. You can turn off the 4g to save battery. Dual core phones are alot faster. Also, tomorrow Verizon starts double your dats 4g promo.

OP
C

ConfusedPleaseHelp

Reaction score
well bc those are the 2 I am choosing between.. I don't care about having the "newest" thing out there, the way they are releasing these things the new one is going to be old in a couple months and I'm not spending $200 when I can get a great phone for 50, I have a 2 year old baby I'd rather spend my money on. Not just that but those are the ones the business has.

ahj4513

Reaction score
Well, do u not have discount price on other phones? I mean, both droid 3 abd droid charge are getting harsh reviews.