Why the Droid 3?

Bdog

Reaction score
I am due for an upgrade. I still have my D1, and it has become SLOW. Constant crashes, many important apps cease to function, automatic reboots when I'm doing important stuff. I haven't been paying any attention to the tech world in the last 8 months, so don't really know what is what anymore.

I played with a handful of phons at the Verizon store the other day, when I saw the Droid 3. I haven't even had any hands on time with the Droid2, and they have a third one out. I played with it. I loved it. When I got my OGD, the physical keyboard is what old m over all other Android phones. Sadly, that keyboard fell apart, very, very fast.

After finding mixed reviews online, and similar complaints on this forum, I need to ask, should I get the D3? Or look at something else? Please tell me why.

TL;DR -- Why do I want the Droid 3?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every review I've read or watched(which is a lot) have all been saying good things about the phone overall. Then only "bad" parts in the reviews are about blur and lack of 4g. And sometimes the camera. Otherwise, its a great phone I highly recommend it. Hopefully if you buy it, you wont have any problems with it. But there's always bound to be people having some issue with their phone, even if small.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
Well I can't speak for you, but I can tell you why I went with the Droid3 when my upgrade was up and my Droid1 was sluggish.

- Keyboard is awesome
- Don't have to toggle 4G on and off just to make it through the day (this one is based off friends of mine with the Thunderbolt and Charge)
- Dual-core/DDR2 RAM is snappy and responsive
- Plays HQ youtube videos with no buffering
- 4'' screen is not too big and not too small
- Call me crazy, but I like a phone with some weight to it so I'm not guessing if it's in my pocket. Droid3 gives me this without feeling like a brick.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
Well I can't speak for you, but I can tell you why I went with the Droid3 when my upgrade was up and my Droid1 was sluggish.

- Keyboard is awesome
- Don't have to toggle 4G on and off just to make it through the day (this one is based off friends of mine with the Thunderbolt and Charge)
- Dual-core/DDR2 RAM is snappy and responsive
- Plays HQ youtube videos with no buffering
- 4'' screen is not too big and not too small
- Call me crazy, but I like a phone with some weight to it so I'm not guessing if it's in my pocket. Droid3 gives me this without feeling like a brick.

Concur with both of those. For me, the screen brightness, improved keyboard and dual-core were what moved me from waiting to see, to buying. Since then I am most happy with those and some unexpected goodness like the screen not drinking all the battery when its on. Still, the extended battery is a good investment for this phone.

To be sure, you'll always see people with gripes--many of them founded and realistic--about any phone. Your best bet is to run any of these phones without additional apps for a week or so to be sure of how its going to operate, and add things slowly at first.

militant

Reaction score
I wouldn't want a phone with a 1st gen LTE radio, so I went with the best 3g phone that made sense to me. The past 3 phones I've had (LG enV, Blackberry Curve 8330, LG Ally (Android 2.2)) have all had full keyboards. The droid 3 currently in the top 3, as far as overall raw power, based on currently available phones (In america anyway). It will be out done when the new wave of phones come out that have 1.2, and 1.5 ghz dual cores, and the new adreno 220 gpu, but no matter what phone you get, something better is due to come out just around the corner... there is no future proofing at this time. Once we have root and can overclock, the droid 3 is going to be an absolute monster and I think FOR ITS PRICE, is one of the best buys. What sealed the deal for me was the full keyboard (best phone keyboard of the 4 I've had, hands down), 8mp 1080p camera, and the FFC. I'd say for the money, it's the best phone out.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
D3 is awesome. There will always be a better phone, and the D3 is the best phone for the price.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You should definitely get it. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. It's fast, got a great screen size, the screen is very bright, and a perfect keyboard. Once we have root it'll be even better.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bdog

Reaction score
Good enough for me. I went ahead and went to Verizon without waiting for answers. The phone is out of stock and was on backorder for nearly two weeks, but my order has already processed and is shipping as I type this.