Droid 3 to get LTE?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
They are doing a good job keeping these phones under wrap before release date lately.

UNC

Reaction score
If VZW and Moto were smart, they'd launch the D3 in two different flavors:

1) The Droid 3 Global by Motorola:
Target Customer Base: Users that frequently travel to other countries and/or users that do not live in 4G areas or find 3G speeds are adequate enough and want to keep their cost of the equipment down.
2-Yr Contract Price: $199

2) The Droid 3 4G (LTE) by Motorola:
Target Customer Base: Power users that live in 4G coverage areas or want to have the option when 4G is available in their area. Currently, the ONLY option for a 4G device on VZW is a 4.3" screen/slate form-factor. Unfortunately, there are many people that find 4.3" is too big and need the physical keyboard....this would be appealing to them.
2-Yr Contract Price: $249

Personally, I'd fall under #2....I'd take that over the Bionic which will end up being yet another 4.3" slate.

Why do you think a phone with CDMA and GSM radios would be cheaper than one with cdma and LTE?? I personally think VZW is messing up by not making ALL "Droid" phones 4g LTE.

They need to get people talking 4g since they are investing so much on the infrastructure..

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Why do you think a phone with CDMA and GSM radios would be cheaper than one with cdma and LTE?? I personally think VZW is messing up by not making ALL "Droid" phones 4g LTE.

They need to get people talking 4g since they are investing so much on the infrastructure..

Based off of every smartphone Verizon has released in recent years. Every 3G phone - even those with global capabilities (CDMA and GSM radios) - have come in at $199 or lower for quite some time. Verizon is only putting the increased pricing of $249/$299 on LTE phones because of the "premium" service they offer.

Artimis

Reaction score

Based off of every smartphone Verizon has released in recent years. Every 3G phone - even those with global capabilities (CDMA and GSM radios) - have come in at $199 or lower for quite some time. Verizon is only putting the increased pricing of $249/$299 on LTE phones because of the "premium" service they offer.

Exactly, doesn't have to do with the cost of manufacturing the phone at all. It's just how vzw has been pricing their 4G phones for the "premium" service.

They have stated that data is data....they need to get you somehow for the increase in speed. What better way than to hike up the price of the equipment?

I do agree, especially with this phone, that they are shooting themselves in the foot not coming out with a 4G version of this phone. Seriously, every single 4G phone they have (including the soon to be Bionic) is a 4.3" slate.

DC 1127

Reaction score
It would be nice to see 4g but sadly I don't see it happening.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I am almost positive that it will not have 4g being that the bionic is coming our shortly after. Lets hope the d3 and bionic don't have the same software problems as the dx2.

Sent from my fascinate

rushmore

Reaction score
IMO, no harm- no foul, in regards to no 4G.

1. Coverage is still weak
2. 3G/4G fringe areas still have issues
3. First generation LTE chipsets are power hungry and require a full reboot in order to truly set 3G or 4G. It would be MUCH better if the current radios afforded TRUE radio switching, without a full restart. Then we could use 4G when we need it on the fly and save battery.
4. I can pretty much guarantee the battery life will be much better on the D3, compared to the Bionic

To me, it all depends on if the D3 has the same silly low ram issues as the DX2. My hope is the firmware team did a better job with the D3.

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the d3 has that silly 3d blur than I will bet it will still have memory issues. Plus it only has 512 ram. Battery should be good on this device though. I am curious to see reviews. Sadly moto has always been bad on the software end. I do like the way the new blur looks though.

Sent from my fascinate

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Yea same here with the new blur, looks good.
But I would say maybe the next set of droids will be 4g since more areas will actually have 4g

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Raptor007

Reaction score
My Droid Charge has 512MB RAM and it runs without issues. The memory problem on the Droid Charge is the 1.12GB of internal storage, that IS the problem. I have to put just about every apps on my SDcard and that causes lag, and apps to disappear. At least with the D3 we get 16GB of internal and most likely only 3-4GB of actual app space.

I wish Moto would just follow the internal storage they did on the DX, they gave you all 8GB of it for storage, apps, documents, etc. No splitting of the memory. Still its better than most of the phones out today.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Wouldn't there have to have been something in the FCC filing about 4g if that was going to be an option?

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
4G or not, I really want the D3.
It is probably going to be much cheaper than the Bionic too.

Reaction score
Wouldn't there have to have been something in the FCC filing about 4g if that was going to be an option?

Yes, they would have to file the radio under the Communications Commission to Certify the device with all of its transmittable capabilities... Sorry D3 future owners.