Thinking about a turbo.....ballistic or not?

OP
E

engineboy

Reaction score
Well storage has never been an issue, even with my old droids. I keep maybe 100 photos on it at the max (I unload it often), dont download much of anything, use maybe 5 apps. I dont use it for anything but a phone, calculator, couple other gizmos and a camera, so Ill save the money for more pizza and beer LOL

I just checked and I have just about all the apps I use uploaded and still have 23g left.

Just got it today...so far its great, much faster on the tasks, just debating whether or not to get a case and if so, which ones are the smallest/less bulky.?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
VZW sells one for like $20 that is probably the thinnest you'll find. More like a cover then a case. I have the purple one. I am VERY anti-case so I wanted something very "not casey".

OP
E

engineboy

Reaction score
Well, that didnt last long. My nylon is already starting to fray around one edge. Guess Ill drop by the store tomorrow and get me a new one, only this time NOT in nylon. Im not taking the chance. Already having issues like this and the phone is less than a week old. Hope it gets better.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It does. Must've got a dud. I see posts about this; however, many turbos have been sold and only less than 10 people have complained about the nylon. You can't go wrong with this phone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Nylon looks brand new on mine. There is absolutely no signs of wear or fraying. In fact, the entire phone could pass for an unopened one. Had it since back in I think it was November. Nylon is very tough. If it frays, is the original cut edge that's finding its way to the surface.

MarBearCat

Reaction score
Yes, the only difference is the back cover if looking at the same memory size. Originally the Ballistic Nylon was only in Black and only in 64GB, but now there are 32GB varieties and they're available in blue and apparently red too, yet I've only seen the Ballistic in blue.

I have the Ballistic in 64GB black and it's great. Nylon is among the strongest fibers available and commonly used for climbing ropes by window washers, cliff climbers and mountain climbers as well as tree climbers due to its strength to weight ratio and flexibility in all weather conditions, as well as it's resistance to fraying.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Nylon is designed to be more shock proof in this application however in comparison with a rigid back cover the flexibility if the nylon back will transfer less of the higher frequency vibrations of a drop to the chassis and motherboard, so although perhaps not intentional it's a benefit none the less.

It's also less slippery IMHO, so using it without a case it will be easier to hold.

I don't see any downside.
Nylon is also used in arrestor gear used in stopping military aircraft on short
land-based runways. Yes, very, very strong stuff.

>"<

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nylon is also used in arrestor gear used in stopping military aircraft on short
land-based runways. Yes, very, very strong stuff.

>"<
Nice input and cool.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
If not identical, then very close to the same ballistic nylon on my Go-Bag which is several years old and still looks brand new.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If not identical, then very close to the same ballistic nylon on my Go-Bag which is several years old and still looks brand new.

Yes, I'm going to make the assumption that the ballistic nylon that your bag is made of is virtually the same material that's what is on the back of the phone. And yes, nylon in general is extremely strong as indicated in earlier posts as well. If I would need a strong fiber to catch me from a fall for instance off a building into a net, I'd settle for nothing less nylon as the ropes to create the net. It's also used in parachute ropes and many other high tension strength flexible bending or strapping solutions. DuPont. They're the king of fibers.

31fdd696eba0382cc8647e24f6ea5ca0.jpg

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
While I kick back and watch and drink me a few beers of course

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Kevlar

Let the debate begin :)

Nylon
One of the original synthetic fibres, nylon has been replaced in many applications by newer fibres. Its combination of good shock absorbing properties, wear resistance and its imperviousness to UV light and chemicals still make it the fibre of choice for anchor warps and dock lines.

Polyester
If one were limited to just one fibre for all uses this would be it. It is strong, resistant to UV light and chemicals, kind on the hands and stretches just moderately when loaded. This is the fibre to choose in any application where ultimate performance or minimum weight is not absolutely essential.

Aramid (Kevlar, Twaron, Technora)
First into the market as a high performance fibre, Aramids were for many years the only viable high performance yarns. Offering about twice the strength of polyester and only half the stretch it found wide application on racing yachts especially in applications where weight saving was important.

Despite their impressive properties, Aramids do not make ideal ropes. Poor resistance to UV light can be overcome with careful construction and ensuring that the core is always covered and never exposed to daylight. Low breaking strength when knotted can also be overcome by always ensuring the ends are terminated in a splice, though this is not always a practical solution in real life. Problems with internal friction in the rope core have, however, proved to be the fibre's downfall. Repeated bending causes the strands of the core to rub together and this in turn causes friction damages. Unseen and undetected the core steadily gets weaker until one day, bang! Without any apparent explanation the rope breaks. Unsurprisingly, Aramids are not any longer widely used in sailboat applications.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Nylon
One of the original synthetic fibres, nylon has been replaced in many applications by newer fibres. Its combination of good shock absorbing properties, wear resistance and its imperviousness to UV light and chemicals still make it the fibre of choice for anchor warps and dock lines.

Polyester
If one were limited to just one fibre for all uses this would be it. It is strong, resistant to UV light and chemicals, kind on the hands and stretches just moderately when loaded. This is the fibre to choose in any application where ultimate performance or minimum weight is not absolutely essential.

Aramid (Kevlar, Twaron, Technora)
First into the market as a high performance fibre, Aramids were for many years the only viable high performance yarns. Offering about twice the strength of polyester and only half the stretch it found wide application on racing yachts especially in applications where weight saving was important.

Despite their impressive properties, Aramids do not make ideal ropes. Poor resistance to UV light can be overcome with careful construction and ensuring that the core is always covered and never exposed to daylight. Low breaking strength when knotted can also be overcome by always ensuring the ends are terminated in a splice, though this is not always a practical solution in real life. Problems with internal friction in the rope core have, however, proved to be the fibre's downfall. Repeated bending causes the strands of the core to rub together and this in turn causes friction damages. Unseen and undetected the core steadily gets weaker until one day, bang! Without any apparent explanation the rope breaks. Unsurprisingly, Aramids are not any longer widely used in sailboat applications.
Well.... Yes....
But..... dude, KEVLAR!

There, that's my well researched, intelligent, adult response

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Go-bag.. Aka bug out bag....