Insured or risk taker what's your angle?

hegemonyworld

Reaction score
I recently found out, albeit in a unsettling way that the blue ballistic nylon turbo from best buy is excluded from the free screen replacement. Being the cheap risk taker I am I found that sufficient insurance before. Now I'm considering my options.

So my question to the turbo community is this: What phone insurance do you have and how was the claim service? Any details I should be aware of? Like if coffee spills are specifically not covered .

Happy turbo'ing

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have my turbo covered with Verizons insurance program... I use their vzprotect app to further lock it down...but mine is also a 64gig bought on opening day..so it has the free screen replacement option.. But I also keep it in an otterbox with glass screen protector... But I do this for all of my devices...I know the value of insurance... When it snowed in Houston 2 years ago...I watched a clown in a big diesel plow through our lot and right into my truck...of course HE didn't have insurance or even a license...that day.. Made me a big believer in insurance LOL..anything can happen...

Spills, taking your device swimming..sweating all over it until it triggers the moisture strips.. These things will void the manufacturers warranty..drops aren't covered under that either..except the screen replacement for certain devices...

Insurance covers anything..drops, swimming, theft..just pay the deductible...

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I recently found out, albeit in a unsettling way that the blue ballistic nylon turbo from best buy is excluded from the free screen replacement. Being the cheap risk taker I am I found that sufficient insurance before. Now I'm considering my options.

So my question to the turbo community is this: What phone insurance do you have and how was the claim service? Any details I should be aware of? Like if coffee spills are specifically not covered .

Happy turbo'ing
Where did you see that this about the Best Buy Exclusive Ballistic Buy being Excluded from the Free Screen Replacement? I have GeekSquad Protection on all my Phones anyway but there is still the $100-$150 deductible.

iiWoodstocK

Reaction score
Where did you see that this about the Best Buy Exclusive Ballistic Buy being Excluded from the Free Screen Replacement? I have GeekSquad Protection on all my Phones anyway but there is still the $100-$150 deductible.
Droid Turbo Screen Assurance FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Verizon finally updated the FAQ to state the Best Buy Blue Ballistic Nylon isn't eligible about a month ago. For many months before that, people were told yes it's eligible, and no it's not eligible, but there was no concrete proof, as the FAQ didn't make any mention of it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It makes me wonder why its not included?? Did they "fix" whatever it was causing the situation?? I know that lots of turbos that shipped, arrived at vzw locations with broken screens..my local salesman showed me 10 on the day I got mine..he said it was happening everywhere... Idk...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Mine are covered under a couple of different warranties. My credit card that I purchased them with and my homeowner's insurance covers them as well.

OP
hegemonyworld

hegemonyworld

Reaction score
The way I take it they were exploiting a loophole. As Best Buy's merchandising rights with the manufacturer are separate and not tied directly to a carrier it was not legally finalized. I'm not sure if the blue BN was more or less vulnerable to the screen cracking.

Anyway, my ruff with insurance is the deductible. Having to pay $200 on top of lets say a year of monthly payments ($9*12= $108) is hard for me to swallow. Paying 50% of cost for insurance is nuts..
But to each his own. That's why I was curious if anyone has used squaredeal ? Supposedly a low deductible.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I would only have to pay 100$/with vzw...I'll look at the paperwork to be sure...

I've heard of square deal..but know nothing about them..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I believe you're thinking of square trade. I had insurance through them on some tablet or something once, but never had to file a claim. Their smartphone insurance doesn't look like a horrible deal though.

$99 for 2 years of coverage. $75 deductible.

SquareTrade Mobile - Cell Phone Warranty - Cellphone Insurance (mobile site link)

OP
hegemonyworld

hegemonyworld

Reaction score
That's right Jonny guess I remembered it wrong. $175 .. yea that seems more reasonable, I may jump on that plan.

94lt1 - if that's the case I'd be happy to use Verizon's. I know iPhones had the large deductible, maybe it was lowered for the turbo. So Verizon's advantage is the stolen phone insurance.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
insured. But I cancel th insurance one the price of the phone drops to where I can easily replace it on my own if I havent bought a new device.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I forget what vzw charges for a deductible. I have to have the coverage while my note is on the edge plan. Looking guard to canceling it if I sell the Note when my nexus 6p arrives.

I was thinking I wouldn't worry about insurance on the 6p since I haven't had to make a claim on a phone, ever, but seeing how reasonable square trade is, I may pick that plan up myself.

OP
hegemonyworld

hegemonyworld

Reaction score
I think the most likely damage my turbo will take is the screen cracking from a drop (prob just jinxed myself)May just be better to have an aftermarket fix done.

Ooooh getting the new marshmallow I see . lucky man.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. Sure wish they'd hurry up & start shipping them.

I've been very lucky a lot the last several years. Should've cracked a few screens. But that's probably just because I've had vzw coverage this whole time.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I forget what vzw charges for a deductible. I have to have the coverage while my note is on the edge plan. Looking guard to canceling it if I sell the Note when my nexus 6p arrives.
It's always been 100 bucks for most devices. I thInk they charge a bit extra if you're replacing an iPhone.

S5 tap'n