Thinking about a turbo.....ballistic or not?

engineboy

Reaction score
Is the only difference in the regular turbo and the ballistic nylon the outer skin?

I do see that the nylon has 32g and 64g available.

I need a phone that feels good and solid in my hands, so a slick phone is out of the question and I would rather not install any type of cover if I dont have to.

Is the nylon one more shock proof? Better gription when holding?

TIA

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, the only difference is the back cover if looking at the same memory size. Originally the Ballistic Nylon was only in Black and only in 64GB, but now there are 32GB varieties and they're available in blue and apparently red too, yet I've only seen the Ballistic in blue.

I have the Ballistic in 64GB black and it's great. Nylon is among the strongest fibers available and commonly used for climbing ropes by window washers, cliff climbers and mountain climbers as well as tree climbers due to its strength to weight ratio and flexibility in all weather conditions, as well as it's resistance to fraying.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Nylon is designed to be more shock proof in this application however in comparison with a rigid back cover the flexibility if the nylon back will transfer less of the higher frequency vibrations of a drop to the chassis and motherboard, so although perhaps not intentional it's a benefit none the less.

It's also less slippery IMHO, so using it without a case it will be easier to hold.

I don't see any downside.

OP
E

engineboy

Reaction score
Yes, the only difference is the back cover if looking at the same memory size. Originally the Ballistic Nylon was only in Black and only in 64GB, but now there are 32GB varieties and they're available in blue and apparently red too, yet I've only seen the Ballistic in blue.

I have the Ballistic in 64GB black and it's great. Nylon is among the strongest fibers available and commonly used for climbing ropes by window washers, cliff climbers and mountain climbers as well as tree climbers due to its strength to weight ratio and flexibility in all weather conditions, as well as it's resistance to fraying.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Nylon is designed to be more shock proof in this application however in comparison with a rigid back cover the flexibility if the nylon back will transfer less of the higher frequency vibrations of a drop to the chassis and motherboard, so although perhaps not intentional it's a benefit none the less.

It's also less slippery IMHO, so using it without a case it will be easier to hold.

I don't see any downside.

Thank you. I havent had a new phone in years, but I have always been a motorola/droid user. I love my MAXX but its time to move on.

Space really isnt an issue for me, so Im sure 32g would be just fine. I dont game or do anything with my phone but use it as a camera/phone and GPS.

I guess Ill make the drive to town and check some stuff out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thank you. I havent had a new phone in years, but I have always been a motorola/droid user. I love my MAXX but its time to move on.

Space really isnt an issue for me, so Im sure 32g would be just fine. I dont game or do anything with my phone but use it as a camera/phone and GPS.

I guess Ill make the drive to town and check some stuff out.
Trust me. Coming from another Motorola/Droid fanboy, if you're a Droid fan you'll love this phone.

OP
E

engineboy

Reaction score
Trust me. Coming from another Motorola/Droid fanboy, if you're a Droid fan you'll love this phone.

I just ordered a turbo ballistic in blue. Should be here tuesday. Thanks again.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I have the Ballistic Nylon in Blue Best Buy Edition and its nice. The problem I have is I am concerned with Dropping an Cracking the Screen So I always get a Case for my Phones. This Turbo is so Nice I dont want it covered. I was Hoping they made a Bumper case to cover the Edges but havent seen anything. I had to make one cutting out the Back since most cases do not fit the Ballistic Versions. I also want it to show since thats why i even bought that version. Good Luck with yours, its a great Phone!

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Great phone, Nice size. If you "case it" I suppose the shell doesn't much matter. Some cases even specify that they won't fit the nylon.
It is such a nice looking/feeling phone I really hate keeping a case on it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Personally I would have gotten the other one if it had a 64GB variant.
There have been reports, and I've seen it on mine, of the Nylon fraying around the edges. Apparently not REAL common but if you Google "Turbo Nylon Fray"........

I have pics of it on mine in this forum.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I liked the feel of the plastic.. But they don't offer any plastic in the 64 gig... Idk y.. Mine is in a case.. So.. Really a non issue I guess

JDH

Reaction score
Just a quick correction, I first bought the ballistic 32g on 10/30/14 and when I put the few apps I actually use on it it was half empty (about 16g left). I took it back first week of Nov and paid the extra $50 for the 64g I use daily on a farm. Outside in all weather and all situations that townees wouldn't dream of. Dropped several times. Not a scratch or fray to be found, looks like the day I bought it. It is tough.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I bought the 64G ballistic nylon opening release date. No complaints what-so-ever. IMHO it is definitely worth the extra $50 to get the 64G, no matter what the back cover is made of. You can never have too much memory, especially if we ever get Lollipop, which I assume will take up an extra chunk of memory.

JDH

Reaction score
KK 4.4.4 takes up more than 11g on a 64 turbo

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Right about the size of KitKat 4.4.4. How much more memory will Lollipop consume? Get the 64G!

JDH

Reaction score
You know, 4.4.4 only took a little over 8 gs on the 32 model, I don't know why 3 more on the 64.