Things to do before you root

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes I am breaking this back out. The first time was a couple of months ago when droidmod was first introduced.

We are seeing the same trends where people are getting stuck and are panicking. Rooting is fun and can be easy. But you have to remember that ultimately you are responsible for your phone. If you can not get it to work then you are the one who will have to send it to vzw. Neither this forum, the rs members, the devs, or any one else will be sending you money if you do break your device.
Now we have been able to help every one fix their device. Thanks to rsdlite we can even get restore "bricked" phones.
There are time where files are corrupt, something did not load correct, or a rom is bad and the solution requires rom to be removed or rsdlite. But there have been times when the user has been at fault.
To try to help prevent some of the issues from starting again I am going to break this back out again. This is actually a revamp version of my first "things to do before you root" thread.

so here is what you need to do:

1) Get familiar with your phone first, if you root from day one you will not appreciate what the roms offer and if there is a problem with the phone, you may mistake a rom issue for a hardware issue.

2) Take your time to read. Take a day to read and get familiar with what rooting is and the benefits/ risks

3) Make a nandroid back up before installing a rom each and every time. I have even made a backup of my recent setup and put a copy of the nandroid folder on my computer.
you can go here to see how to make a nandroid backup: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-solutions/48705-how-make-nandroid-backup.html

4) When you root give yourself some time. If you are in a rush thats when mistakes can happen. Take some time to get everything you need set up and organize (ie rom files, themes, flash files etc.)

We are here to help but we are not there with you; it will make things go along smoother if you follow these steps.

Thanks.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For those trying out froyo as soon as you have a stable 2.1 with sprecovery; immediately make a nandroid backup . Then go through the steps to install froyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.