Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Quick back story -- guy roots phone after 2.2 update with Easy Root, somehow makes Nandroid backup, then all hell breaks loose. He says has the stock recovery image, ROM Manager gives him an error when he tries to flash a recovery image or do anything else, root doesn't seem to work anymore, and RSDLite won't recognize the phone. Here's the link to the thread this has been going back and forth on.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ve-rooted-now-what-n00bs-guide-post-root.html

Could anyone help? Post here or there, I'm going to monitor both.

Many thanks!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Why not have the guy post his story here, so we have it all in one place? I'd rather that, please. If he so chooses, please have him post ALL the details, what version of windows, RSD lite, drivers, etc. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's easier here than sorting through a seven page thread not related to the problem to weed out what the problem is.

Thanks

Greg

Reaction score
Desperate Help Needed!

Ok. I'm going to copy and paste my messages together for you. Hope this all makes sense.

I guess I'll start with problem #1 of several.

FYI... I manually installed 2.2 last week with no problems. Then I installed EasyRoot with no problems. I also installed all the recommended programs like; Rom Manager, Busy Box etc.... And I DID make a nandroid backup. I was able to do this because Clockwork, worked ONCE. It only gives me errors now

I get an error with Busy Box. Tells me something about Nand Unlocked. I have no idea how to do this. How can I fix this? I then tried downloading Superuser whitelist. It downloaded, but the installation was unsuccessful.

I decided to go ahead an try to install my first ROM (bugless beast .4) I thought perhaps I don't need busy box functioning at this moment. I downloaded the BB.zip file and loaded it onto my sdcard. I then used the Rom Manager. I also downloaded the file via the Rom manager. I chose to install ROM from sdcard. I found the zip file. and chose to backup existing Rom. It then tells me to Reboot and Install. This is were I get lost. If I reboot I get the yellow exclamation point. Last night I would go into recovery where I"m given my 4 usual options. Reboot, Install update.zip, and 2 others I can't remember at the moment. BUT this morning, it won't even reboot.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I followed your instructions. Thank you! I seem to be rooted ok. When I try to flsh the alternate OR clockworkbod recoveries, I get an error message on both. Its says, "An error occurred attempting to run privleged commands".

Sigh....

Any ideas?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My superuser isn't installing properly. Although when I click on it's icon, it tells me that Busybox, Wireless Tether and ROM Manager are ALL GREEN!

I only see one version of SuperUser in the market. I'll see if I can find a different version online.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quite honestly, I don't remember. I've done so many things and added so many apps to get this going, that my head is spinning. All I remember is in the beginning (i think before I rooted) that I did a volume up + camera and was giving the option of Nandroid and did a backup at that point. Now when I do that I no longer get that option. I can't remember how I even got Clockwork? OMG.. I'm so confused. It seems Clockwork was working when first installed and allowed me to make a nandroid backup. It shows that I have one back up, but won't recover. No parts of Clockwork seem to be working or give an error.

No I'm not attached to being rooted since I've experienced nothing from it as this point. LOL. But I really do what to play around with themes and overclocking a bit. Even if I could JUST overclock a bit, I would be happy.

EDIT: I remember now. In the beginning rebooting into recovery was easy. Now it does nothing. Most everything else give me that error message. I'm not even sure how to see if my original backup is there.

ANOTHER EDIT: Ok, it DOES appear that there is ONE backup from yesterday. But won't recover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok. First I wanna make sure you realize that I'm 2.2 rooted?

So I installed SPRecovery and drivers on my pc. I connected my usb and rebooted with the up + power and am at the black bootloader screen. I open RSD Lite and browse to the ESE81.sbf file (I'm 2.2 not 2.1) and double click it.

When I click START, it does nothing! It doesn't connect or show any progress as shown on the video.

Now what do I do? Seems nothing wants to work on my phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At no time was I given a chance to go root or 2.1. I was thinking it would flash rooted since I was already rooted.

After getting no response from RSDLite, yes I did hit "show devices" and got no response.

Yes, I'm using the correct 32 bit drivers. I'm running XP.

EDIT: It didn't ask about Administrator. EDIT: YES, I'm set as administrator!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, this is where I have my problem. It's not detecting my device.

Seems I need the squad, but I don't think I want to go that far. With all this trouble I'm causing the both of us, it's like it's telling me not to do it.

I think it might be best if I start with a clean slate.

Can I go back to 2.1 unrooted WITHOUT losing my contacts? Or do I have to lose everything?

Then I could get a fresh update to 2.2, and then try rooting again... and if I quickly run into the same problems, I'll stop, and just be happy with 2.2 unrooted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, it's plugged into the same USB port I always use, but also tried 2 other usb ports with no luck.

Yes, the bootloader page says it's ready to go. But RSDLite doesn't find my phone.

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
OK thanks. I'll have to say up front to take baby steps, because I post in so many forums that I usually forgot where I've been until I get the 'new reply' notices in my email (i.e. 24hr turnaround).

I see a couple of things going on. For one, Busybox is NOT an app that would show up in your superuser list. At least not the real one I've seen/have/use. It sounds like your 'root' got fudged along the way and it might actually be a blessing in disguise that RSD Lite hasn't recognized your phone yet beause you don't need to go there, yet. And the Easy Root app has since been replaced in the market with an app that will detect if your phone is compatible.

Anyways, first, let's get you unrooted:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ow-unroot-your-phone-complete.html#post727612

I suggest you PLEASE read it carefully as there are different methods depending on different circumstances. I 'think' the last half of method one will work since you have the stock recovery image now. If that works do a factory data reset when done. You will not loose your contacts, you just have to sign back into Google and they will be restored. Then decide if you want to stay unrooted or reet before you continue. Let me know.

Greg

Reaction score
OK thanks. I'll have to say up front to take baby steps, because I post in so many forums that I usually forgot where I've been until I get the 'new reply' notices in my email (i.e. 24hr turnaround).

I see a couple of things going on. For one, Busybox is NOT an app that would show up in your superuser list. At least not the real one I've seen/have/use. It sounds like your 'root' got fudged along the way and it might actually be a blessing in disguise that RSD Lite hasn't recognized your phone yet beause you don't need to go there, yet. And the Easy Root app has since been replaced in the market with an app that will detect if your phone is compatible.

Anyways, first, let's get you unrooted:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ow-unroot-your-phone-complete.html#post727612

I suggest you PLEASE read it carefully as there are different methods depending on different circumstances. I 'think' the last half of method one will work since you have the stock recovery image now. If that works do a factory data reset when done. You will not loose your contacts, you just have to sign back into Google and they will be restored. Then decide if you want to stay unrooted or reet before you continue. Let me know.

EDIT: Ok... I appear to be back to 2.2 unrooted (FRG01B)

It's synced up and has all it's contacts and apps back. I noticed I still have Busy Box so I clicked it, and IT says I'm rooted. I don't get it???

Last edited:
OP
furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
teddyearp, I just read that link you posted, and it never occurred to me to do an advanced Nandroid Restore with a stock 2.0.1 Nandroid backup. I'm going to go bookmark that original post and use it.

That is, without a doubt, right up there with in my top five useful links for people. You have my thanks and gratitude.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted

It's synced up and has all it's contacts and apps back. I noticed I still have Busy Box so I clicked it, and IT says I'm rooted. I don't get it???

Ah now I see. Sterickson has an app in the market called BusyBox which attempts to keep your phone always updated with the latest version of the busybox binary which I installed manually way back right after I rooted my phone around Dec 8. If you have a terminal app, open it and type in:

Code:
su

and see what happens. If it drops from a "$" prompt to a "#" prompt you still have root. Otherwise it should say permission denied.

teddyearp, I just read that link you posted, and it never occurred to me to do an advanced Nandroid Restore with a stock 2.0.1 Nandroid backup. I'm going to go bookmark that original post and use it.

That is, without a doubt, right up there with in my top five useful links for people. You have my thanks and gratitude.

No, thank you. Pilotcharles asked me to write that up some time ago. And just to be absolutely clear for anyone who reads just this and not the link. That method require the right backup file and ONLY works with SPRecovery installed; then you do a factory data reset on the phone first. Any more? Read the link, everything is there.

Greg

Reaction score

Ah now I see. Sterickson has an app in the market called BusyBox which attempts to keep your phone always updated with the latest version of the busybox binary which I installed manually way back right after I rooted my phone around Dec 8. If you have a terminal app, open it and type in:

Code:
su
and see what happens. If it drops from a "$" prompt to a "#" prompt you still have root. Otherwise it should say permission denied.

It says permission denied. So I guess I'm unrooted afterall.

Greg

Reaction score
Now what?

Should I delete busy box, superuser, mod manager etc?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
May as well since they are only taking up space on your phone. And as your previous post confirmed, you are un-rooted.

OP
furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
If the goal was to take your phone back to stock, you've succeeded. Now just push manual updates till you get to the stock FroYo ROM and have fun. It might be worth it, for S&Gs, to see if RSDLite will see your phone now, but do NOT try to flash anything with it; it's just to confirm that if you have to you could.

Repeat, do NOT flash anything with RSDLite. This step is to see if you now could if you had to. :)

Greg

Reaction score
If the goal was to take your phone back to stock, you've succeeded. Now just push manual updates till you get to the stock FroYo ROM and have fun. It might be worth it, for S&Gs, to see if RSDLite will see your phone now, but do NOT try to flash anything with it; it's just to confirm that if you have to you could.

Repeat, do NOT flash anything with RSDLite. This step is to see if you now could if you had to. :)

No, RSDLite still can't find my device.

Actually... my goal was to Root my 2.2 using Easy Root, and then install a ROM, such as Bugless Beast .4.