The Official DF Droid 4 Pre-Release Thread

debdroid1a

Reaction score
The News sections has a lot on the D4
Droid 4 from Motorola Officially Announced on Verizon but no release date. We're all guessing Feb 2.

Droid 4 Now Up on DroidDoes Site

Motorola Droid 4 gets DLNA Certification

Am I still interested? not sure. I would prefer a newer spec phone, but it does look nice. And my D1 is on it's last legs, barely hanging on. If I could get a good price, I probably would get one. I still like physical keyboards, but after using my Dad's SII, not sure. Maybe wait and test it out at the Verizon store against some others.

tdpolo26

Reaction score
The News sections has a lot on the D4
Droid 4 from Motorola Officially Announced on Verizon but no release date. We're all guessing Feb 2.

Droid 4 Now Up on DroidDoes Site

Motorola Droid 4 gets DLNA Certification

Am I still interested? not sure. I would prefer a newer spec phone, but it does look nice. And my D1 is on it's last legs, barely hanging on. If I could get a good price, I probably would get one. I still like physical keyboards, but after using my Dad's SII, not sure. Maybe wait and test it out at the Verizon store against some others.

Well the second is looking like it, prolly not any earlier, def not this week (although if verizon would like go make me eat my words that's fine with me) next week is the exclusive lg spectrum so I doubt that will be it the next is the 26thinternet but my guess is they will be be letting the spectrum get a 2 week head start

amishdude01

Reaction score
Man... it would be nice if the D4 got that 3300mAh battery they are putting in the Razr Maxx... that is insane!

I know right! That's awesome. I wouldn't mind at all to have another 20% added to the thickness of the phone for more battery life. This kinda worries me actually. Do we buy it asap or wait in case Moto releases an extended battery version.... =/

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do we buy it asap or wait in case Moto releases an extended battery version.... =/

Unfortunately, it seems the new trend in OEM development is a new device that is an incremental step better than the previous device ever 1 to 1.5 quarters. This is a good and bad thing. It is good because it means there should always be something almost brand new when you decided it is time to upgrade and the previous generation tech that isn't very old is already getting a price cut, but it is bad because it's so much easier to fall into the "waiting for the next best thing" pitfall that is so easy to find yourself in.

After going through the Bionic wait and then the g-nex wait, one thing I decided was to not let the new device determine when I upgrade, but my current device. As long as my D1 was still able to do what I needed it to do, I didn't see any reason to upgrade. Once it finally failed on me (or I came across a device that I felt I couldn't live without and had zero doubt about, for me, the G-Nex) is when I would use my upgrade. At that point you get what best fits your need and is available at that moment as you don't have many other options.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
After going through the Bionic wait and then the g-nex wait, one thing I decided was to not let the new device determine when I upgrade, but my current device. As long as my D1 was still able to do what I needed it to do, I didn't see any reason to upgrade. Once it finally failed on me (or I came across a device that I felt I couldn't live without and had zero doubt about, for me, the G-Nex) is when I would use my upgrade. At that point you get what best fits your need and is available at that moment as you don't have many other options.

This is one of the smartest things you've ever said.:wink: I agree 100%.

MrPib

Reaction score
I'd really like to know about the D4 screen. Droid Life mentions this:

[url]http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/10/quick-first-look-droid-4-by-motorola/

[/URL]
As far as we know, this is not the Super AMOLED Advanced that the RAZR carries and could just be the qHD PenTile matrix display that we saw in the Bionic and DROID 3.

I love how sharp text looks on my (R2)D2, and I read text on it a *lot*. The D3 was apparently a step down in text quality, and I'm hoping that the D4 is at least as good as the D2.

fastpat

Reaction score
Quick hands-on demonstration of the Motorola Droid 4 by Engadget

[video=youtube;vQY-akD5m-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQY-akD5m-c[/video]

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/motorola-droid-4-hands-on/
I want the Droid 4 precisely BECAUSE I'll know how to use it, I have a Droid 1.

I want the slide out keyboard of my Droid 1 with the LTE, other than a speed increase, I could give a rat's rear end about the rest.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I know right! That's awesome. I wouldn't mind at all to have another 20% added to the thickness of the phone for more battery life. This kinda worries me actually. Do we buy it asap or wait in case Moto releases an extended battery version.... =/

Am I the only person who sees the RAZR MAXX as riotously (as in lmfao) ludicrous?

We rip out the known quantity of a well-proven battery technology that allows flexibility, choice, security, and reliability and put in its place a fragile and more expensive version that offers zero performance advantage, carries genuine safety concerns, and negates the advantages of the current entirely functional design. And we do this why? To make phones skinnier.

Then, since it is no longer possible simply to provide a replacement battery with increased capacity as has been done for years, we instead create a new model phone which is identical to the original in every respect but one: it has extended battery life. And guess what? It's THICKER!

So, do I buy both the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX so I have a super skinny phone to carry in my pocket on most days and thicker version for those times I'll be out longer and watching videos from my SD card or gaming on-line. Oh, better bring the power pack too, jic.

I mean, this is so totally stupid as to be ... impossible. At this point it just can't be as it seems; no engineering design team would be a party to it. One is forced, now, to look for ulterior motives from vzw.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I carry around a charger because after 1 1/2 years out batteries weren't good as I bought one from a link on this board to Amazon. Its half the size of my D1 and a cord.no biggy and has USB to charge anywhere i can find a USB charger.

So I have no problem with nonreplaceable battery

Sent from my Droid 1using DroidForums

JCDenton771

Reaction score
As a Droid RAZR owner now I can say I have no problems yet with the non removable battery. The software is solid and blur is so light now that it has never frozen up on me. Hopefully you all will have the same success with the Droid 4.

And yes I know I probably just jinxed myself lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

TC_Mits

Reaction score
As a Droid RAZR owner now I can say I have no problems yet with the non removable battery. The software is solid and blur is so light now that it has never frozen up on me. Hopefully you all will have the same success with the Droid 4.

And yes I know I probably just jinxed myself lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I carry around a charger because after 1 1/2 years out batteries weren't good as I bought one from a link on this board to Amazon. Its half the size of my D1 and a cord.no biggy and has USB to charge anywhere i can find a USB charger.

So I have no problem with nonreplaceable battery

Sent from my Droid 1using DroidForums

"So far, so good."

My point in the post is that - even if nobody ever has any problem with the polymer batteries - they still reduce our choices, cost users more in extra purchases like chargers and 'power packs' and such, and they cost more to make so they require manufacturing compromises that reduce the features and usability of phones that have them.

So please don't tell me that it's working OK so far. "So far, so good." is what the optimist shouted in the 35th story window on his way from the roof to the sidewalk.

Instead, please tell me: What was so bad about real replaceable batteries that required changing so desperately as to necessitate such heavy sacrifices? And what is it about its costly 'battery-in-a-bag' that makes the RAZR so much more useful than it would have been with the cheaper stodgy old replaceable metal one?

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

debdroid1a

Reaction score
What's the difference between carrying an extra battery or an extra battery charger? Mines almost as small as a battery with a cord. Its a cheap Rayovak I got at Walmart. And you have to buy both separately, so their both an extra charge.

Some people, like me, have access to charge their phone as needed (home, car or work), the extra charger is when I can't do those three and its vary rare. So the non replaceable battery isn't an issue. My recharger sits in my purse until I need it, I recharge that when needed.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

fastpat

Reaction score
As a fan of Apple products I'd be buying the iPhone 4s or 5 instead of the Droid 4, except I want the sliding keyboard AND the removable battery. I like the idea that when I want the phone shut off, it's really off. On the Droid 1 I installed the larger battery and I'm really glad that I did. Heavy use, such as navigation or one of the other apps that uses either 3G or GPS, really sucks down the battery. I understand the Droid 4 battery may have a lot more capacity, I welcome that, yet, if a larger battery is offered, I'll likely get one.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
As a fan of Apple products I'd be buying the iPhone 4s or 5 instead of the Droid 4, except I want the sliding keyboard AND the removable battery. I like the idea that when I want the phone shut off, it's really off. On the Droid 1 I installed the larger battery and I'm really glad that I did. Heavy use, such as navigation or one of the other apps that uses either 3G or GPS, really sucks down the battery. I understand the Droid 4 battery may have a lot more capacity, I welcome that, yet, if a larger battery is offered, I'll likely get one.

If you're a fan of apple you can get a sliding bluetooth keyboard for an iphone. They were selling them on HSN (a TV shopping channel) over the weekend. They were actually selling a lot of Apple products. Yes it would be thicker because it attaches to the bottom. But it is available. It's an additional $70, but there is that option. I'm not trying to promote Apple products, not my favorite products, but if you like something you should consider it. I expect to see them for other phones too as it's not a bad idea. I think people should buy what they like. And now we're seeing competition arise, which will make it great for everyone.
Of course on the iPhone you still don't have a removeable battery. So if you do like your D1 better then an iPhone, stick with the Android line.