Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JFDroid, Apr 24, 2010.

1. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    See post 57 that refers folks to post 53 :)

Take your laptop and use your cellphone as a wireless router to connect to the internet through the cell towers when the power goes out in your house, when you are a passenger in a car, etc and that would be tethering.

reminds me of a sign I once saw in the clerk's office at the courthouse when I had to pay a speeding ticket long ago: "If you are upset with the fine you have to pay for speeding think of all the times you did not get caught"

I agree....every single tether user will not get nailed on the same day if Verizon decides to start cracking down. The majority of us, if not all of us, will have warning.

2. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They would make an effort because of money.

You're telling us that they are only concerned with heavy bandwidth users--that traffic information is irrelevant. How do you know?

From what people have said, when you get caught tethering Verizon tells you they "know" what you're doing. Legally, they have the right to analyze your data usage. I think they do. You think they don't. How do you know?

If I use my droid to view hi-quality youtube over 3g all day I'll use a lot of bandwidth. The way you're describing it, they'll give me a call and tell me I'm tethering. I don't think so. They'll analyze my traffic to determine what's going on.

3. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, please. Somehow I have a feeling you've never been engaged in a major corporate decision of this sort. The tracking of use is, at best, a complex, time consuming effort. On the other hand, tracking of volume requires an sql query that requires about 10 seconds to write and virtually nothing to run.

And if Verizon did track websites visited, data downloaded, etc. I'm sure their attorneys would advise them that they would have to divulge the details of such efforts in any court cases that were brought as a result. I can just see the PR disaster that would involve.

The bottom line is that occasional tethering is simply not going to trigger a response from Verizon. Nor for that matter is heavy use unless it reaches a point among enough users to show up in a cost/benefit calculus. If Verizon is talking about to store staff, it may have reached that point. And with the growth in devices accessing the internet it may soon be more than an academic concern.

4. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On a personal note, you continually try to belittle people and it's not becoming. "sigh", "oh please", "you obviously have never"...blah, blah, blah

Furthermore, as far as I'm concerned, you have no idea what you're talking about. You have no clue what Verizon is up to.

5. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,460
    Now this argument is starting to get ridiculous. Everyone here is shooting opinions; until something happens its speculation. Like stated every one knows the risks. So if you chooose to tether do it at your own risk period. Not saying something will happen, but if it does then you knew the risks. You are more likely to get caught if you eating a lot of bandwith; not saying you will, but you stand out. Take it for what it is worth.

6. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion is that this discussion has been ridiculous for at least 8 pages.

7. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

More true words could not have been spoken. Fact is... if, any decisions are made or being made to crack down on this. It is not going to be in a meeting in a corporate store as the OP stated took place. It is going to happen at the corporate level.. then training on the matter will be dispersed to district and regional managers, then on to customer service reps, then to store managers to train their teams... then a webnar will be created so all agent locations will be trained on the matter. And somewhere in all of this it would be leaked to the major tech blogs. So people like BGR would have given us geeks a heads up.. and so fourth and so on. So I would not worry and use it on a side of caution.

There is little fact that is ever posted with the exception of the TOS that clearly shows we are in breech of contract by tethering. Like the person I quoted said we will never know what VZW is up to unless you have a seat in the corp. headquarters with the board of directors... and I doubt any one participating in this thread has one of those seats. ;)

8. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is not my intent to argue with everyone on this thread, but I read the OP to mean that the decision wasn't made in the store but that they learned about the corporate decision in the store. I DON'T KNOW.

9. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

I do not think you are arguing with everyone... you have put out some good information for us to think about. And the OP could have ment just that. But I have checked with a few of my sources and I have not found anything pointing to any crackdown comming. No meetings any any of the stores here in Missouri.

10. tamlin42

tamlin42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't put it past verizon to charge you the ETF and cut off your service. After all, ETF is essentially buying out the rest of your contract at full value. banning you from signing up for another line? very doubtful. you'd probably buy another phone, another contract, etc. on another carrier? maybe, but you were with verizon for a reason the first time, they probably assume you'll come crawling back for that same reason.

11. SpykeZ

SpykeZ Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't, theres ways to do it without, just a lil more steps

I'm with Verizon cause they weren't going to charge me a 500 dollar fee to get a plan from them like Cingular was, 6 years ago lol

12. daggah

daggah Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As someone who does tether, occasionally, when traveling (to avoid paying connection fees for airport/hotel wi-fi hotspots that are ridiculously slow), I have to ask: all of what you say is assuming that I have a two year contract to go with my phone purchase. I had a two year contract with my Blackberry Storm...but like many Storm owners, I got sick of how crappy the phone was and upgraded to a Droid. I bought my Droid for full price (and worth every penny.) So how does your post above apply to me?

My data usage this month is abnormally high...at just over a gig for the month. And most of that was because I was rooted/had a custom ROM and had a week or so where my phone was downloading the official 2.1 OTA without my knowledge (at least, I suspect it was, because that would explain the high data usage + crappy battery life.) I've tethered a lot this weekend because I've been traveling, and by a lot I mean I've used maybe 250 MB of data on it. I don't travel THAT much, and I <3 my 20 MBit connection at my apartment far too much to want to surf the net on the 3G Verizon network all the time (although I have been very impressed with just how good the tethered connection has been for me.)

Search tags for this page
can i find out if my verizon account is hacked through vzam
easytether ipv6
easytether legal
easytether on dd-wrt
is easy tether legal
is easy tether safe

is easytether legal

is easytether safe

tether promo code android
tethering surf track sites