Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JFDroid, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Droid101

Droid101 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    They cant cancel your account just because of you tethering on a free app. Especially since VZW DOESN'T support tethering on the droid so they are out of luck on that end and I know here in NY they cant just cancel your account for any reason there has to be a 30 day notice of some sort and then VZW has to offer you an alternate option.

2. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You people actually believe this story? By coincidence his internet is out and he has to tether and his family member had a meeting on tethering on that exact same day? Are you guys really buying this?

I'm not saying that the OP is lying but what makes you think that this family member isn't just trying to scare him away from tethering?

You guys realize that non-root tethering apps are available from the marketplace? Verizon is banning people from their service and cancelling your contracts for using apps that the phones built-in service supplies?

And since when does verizon ban you from their service for rooting your phone? You void your warranty and they refuse to give you tech support, they don't cancel your account, ban you for life, and demand you pay for the phone, etc. This is just a load of misinformation designed to scare people away from using the service that they pay for.

3. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Apps being available on the android marketplace does not allow a loophole to bypass Verizon's TOS. Obviously, its unlikley anything will happen if people tether unless they are excessive with it, but the liability and possibility of penalty still remains.

4. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You replied to one minor issue with an insignificant comment and ignored the actual point behind the post. Why bother replying to me when you know I hold your opinion in such low regard? You're a troll, nothing more.

#112 Riddick, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    You wouldn't know a point if you were stabbed with it. Nothing I said was false. Sorry you can't handle the truth. FWIW, I too think the original story is a bunch of bunk.

6. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why do you need to resort to violent imagery?

Which means you agree with me, hence proving my point.

7. adrynalyne

Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I never disagreed with you, other than you thinking that anything on the android market would ever have bearing on Verizon's TOS.

8. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good. Though you didn't answer my question, why do you feel the need to use violent imagery and talk about someone being stabbed? Is that necessary? Did it add to the discussion in anyway?

9. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Although you technically violated your ToS by tethering your dorid, I doubt very seriously your use would ever even show up on a report, much less lead to any retaliatory action on VZW's part.

All carriers and ISP providers face a similar set of pressures. On one hand they face competitive pressures from other providers willing to give potential customers a better deal for data plans. (e.g Verizon's recent cancellation of tethering charges for Palm Pre Plus customers.) On the other hand, they can see that a small proportion of users are utilizing their 3G networks at a rate 100 times or more than others and paying the same price for access. And on still a third hand is the political dispute over "net neutrality" encourages carriers and ISP's to avoid making waves and giving their opponents (who want to block tier pricing) ammunition.

In all of this, the occasional use of a Droid as a modem by a small slice of the customer base is a nit. On the other hand, a customer who would otherwise be a prime candidate for Verizon's $60 per month 5 gigabyte "broadband access" plan might well expect to hear from VZW if they consistently appear in the top tier of users. That is of course, if VZW decides it's in their interest to press the issue. And that assumes they believe such short term revenue trumps the other issues cited above.

10. shooter_454

shooter_454 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After reading most of this thread it makes me lol...I know they can tell what your doing with your droid as far as tethering(not rooting),but I don't belive they are going to do what OP says in this thread...Thats all I'm saying....

11. mikehal38

mikehal38 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My fiancée is an employee at VZW and she has personally seen the outrageous charges that tethering people get. And yes they can find out anyone who tethers.

12. mikehal38

mikehal38 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh and as far as my fiancée said they wont terminate your contract but you wont want to pay the charges they give you...

Search tags for this page
can i find out if my verizon account is hacked through vzam
easytether ipv6
easytether legal
easytether on dd-wrt
is easy tether legal
is easy tether safe

is easytether legal

is easytether safe

tether promo code android
tethering surf track sites