Verizon/tethering/fcc

Picasso71

Reaction score
so we have a locally owned VZW here where I care to take my business, and as such have become a fairly good terms with one of the sales reps there. I was down there helping get my brother a new phone since he is on my plan. The aforementioned sales rep let me know quietly as possible that the FCC has forced Verizon to allow users to set up hotspots/tethering without paying for it using other apps and also not penalizing the user I'd they do. I have the unlimited plan. I asked then if VZW can no longer take that away f or tethering, and he said no. can anyone confirm this?

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
Yes that is correct. Verizon cannot tell you that you can't use a third party tether app, but they can still throttle your speeds.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
Ps, it's not a secret either so your source doesn't have to whisper it (only while he's at work lol)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes that is correct. Verizon cannot tell you that you can't use a third party tether app, but they can still throttle your speeds.

Vzw can't throttle 4g however.. it was in the agreement for them to get the lte spectrum. :D

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
I guess to make my question more accurate, I was made to understand that I can make my phone a mobile hotspot without the fee

menudo18

Reaction score
I just set mine up today with no problems and it's free. PDA NET3.5 in the android market.

CaptianSpiffy

Reaction score
Vzw can't throttle 4g however.. it was in the agreement for them to get the lte spectrum. :D

Are you sure? I thought I read on a different thread that the CFO/CEO/UFO (somebody at the top of the Verizon food chain) was working to rid themselves of the scourge that is known as "the unlimited" by throttling. I believe he said,"unlimited is just a word".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Are you sure? I thought I read on a different thread that the CFO/CEO/UFO (somebody at the top of the Verizon food chain) was working to rid themselves of the scourge that is known as "the unlimited" by throttling. I believe he said,"unlimited is just a word".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I haven't read that thread... but I know it was a condition for them to get the lte spectrum... who knows... legal fight though..

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
mountainbikermark said:
So does this mean if I accept when I click on the hotspot feature on my Rezound that even though it says I'll be charged $30 that I won't be charged?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

That would be nice. Right now I'm using pdanet with the "hiding tether" feature.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

OP
P

Picasso71

Reaction score
I couldn't get pdanet to work. I tried svtlite to see how that works and it did. but, I was hoping to find something cheaper than $15. I also noticed with svtlite I did a speednet test it I seemed to have about half the speed. was this the whole bandwidth throttling some have mentioned?

N4UPD

Reaction score
I'm using easytether on my Rezound but I have to use usb tether because it don't have wifi tether on the app.