Tethering - Here's why I wouldn't do it...

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JFDroid, Apr 24, 2010.

1. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,475
    Can we say Palm Pre plus....
    With that said all rooted people know to unroot before going to stock. Second you do not have to be rooted to tether. And as far as tethering there is a lot of back and forth about it. The only way that vzw know 100% for sure you are tethering is if you tell them or hand them your phone with tethering app in the drawer or on the home page. I also believe common sense should be used. Basic use such as sites you go on with your phone ok; downloading movies....I would not recommend.

2. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but they don't need to be 100% sure to send you a bill or even cancel your account. If they see you downloading java and flash applets, netflix streams, etc. then they'll be sure enough. That's why I'm saying that tethering apps might need to employ encryption and proxying. But is that necessary? How many people have really been caught? Was it because they used a lot of bandwidth? Is VZ letting low bandwidth tetherers have a free ride for now?

I'd like to hear from people who've been caught.

3. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I paid for tethering on my Windows Mobile Smart phone. I pay for it on my Droid (Mobile Broadband connect). The only thing our Verizon rep said, is they wont support it, since there is no VZAccess manager app for Android.

Oh, and BTW Their TERMS are pretty clear. I don;t think anyone is going to hear from them unless your torrents or WoW sessions are using so much bandwidth that you adversely affect the 3G network...

4. jkwakopo

jkwakopo Member

Ratings:
    +0

I use it without a fear ( and you should too!) on my iPad every day... Well if they don't want my $3000 + over the next 2 years, I 'm fine with that.. By I'll gladly pay that $350 and move on to AT&T and their iPhone 4g or Sprint and their EVO 4g.. I have been their customer for 10+ years, I doubt they will cancel my contract lol. No Fear!!!

but then, I only surf web, emails, im chat, and do facebook... I'm sure streaming netflix/hulu or playing some online game may create problems but I don't see how they will track my tethering when Im just reading google news and writing emails ( which can be done on my Droid, I just prefer them on my 9.7 inch iPad)

I wonder if this manager is the same dude from that same store... Remember?? one of our forum member installed DroidMod on testers in Verizon corp. store.. like 3 and they didn't even realized it till way later. I wonder if this manager actually knows what tethering is lol.. Maybe he is just reading from his Verizon Catalog.. All the managers I talked to around here didn't know jack.. Seriously, would you go to store and ask them questions?? or would you come here (droidforum) and ask 40,000 other EVERYDAY Droid users??

#76 jkwakopo, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  5. jkwakopo

jkwakopo Member

Ratings:
    +0

Not to mention legal issues for invading my privacy without my knowledge/consent. Besides, they got better things to do then going after wifi tethering, as you all probably know, Verizon got butt kicked and embarrassed by AT&T this first quarter (even with strong sales of Droids).

6. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon holds all the cards. You might want to familiarize yourself with this little tidbit from Verizon:

"We may collect personal information about you. We may also gather some information through our relationship with you, such as information about the quantity, technical configuration, type, destination and amount of your use of our telecommunications services."

And they may not have better things to do than going after tethering since that is a new revenue stream for them. They have a huge incentive to go after unofficial tethering, especially if they're being "embarrassed" as you say.

You're telling people to go ahead and tether without worry but the original poster has stated that they're starting to crack down on this. I suspect that the OP isn't just spreading fear.

7. jkwakopo

jkwakopo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I agree with you.. but I use it without fear because I paid $200 (actually $100 and came with free case) for this phone with contract.. If they terminate my contract, I'll be paying $350?? How much is Droid without a contract?? about the same rite? Yeah, I'll pay that $350 without any hesitation.. And from what i remember back in Nov, 2009, when I couldn't decide between Droid and 3GS ( Stores were right next to each other !!!) and basically VZW manager was kissing my ass to keep me out of next door.. Offered me extra $50 off + $50 Online off( which you don't get if you purchase the phone from stores ) and a free case. Not to mention how we had this long relationship without any trouble. He pulled out a record and told me I never even made a single complaints past 9 years to VZW customer support (in fact I never even called them till I had to get a replacement for Droid back in Feb.). Well, this is true, I used to carry dumb phones for 9 years ( and kept myself away from Moto RazR) and VZW service is flawless. I'm not even sure how they will terminate my contract make me pay that ETF if I get caught. I mean we all know FCC is on their tails ... Not even worried lol, I just want to see it happen to me so I can prove this myth and share with you all.

BTW I'm from Korea, where phone contracts don't exist. Yes, phones cost more than $500-$1000 (iPhone 3gs goes for more than $600)... but no contracts... So I'll have my big smile on my face when they terminate my contract because I really don't mind and I'm also used to paying full price for phones in Korea.. so $350 termination fee + $100 i spent on the phone?? $450... How much is droid in full retail price?? $500+

Do I get to keep the Droid tho? I would love to sell it on ebay but if not that's also fine..I mean we all did lose our phones once right? Bottom Line is it's not my loss, it's VZW's loss. I will just have to sign another contract with other carriers and this isn't that hard.. Losing 10 year loyal customer for some wifi tether issue which they already allow on some other phones for free. Now that's really hard to do actually lol..
    ( and what happens to that Droid Does commercial? Droid obviously doesn't)
    Nearly 10 years, more than $40 per month and $78 since last Nov, (I do get 15% off my total bill from employee discount from my school).. wow... More I think about this, I really wished I was still playing WOW so I can test my theory lol

#79 jkwakopo, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  8. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they'd rather send you a bill than cancel you.

Well, I guess we'll see if a tethering crackdown has begun. I hope not!

9. cb2000a

cb2000a Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He is using the Vulcan calender.

10. bL33d

bL33d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    um i pay for internet from verizon and it aint cheap its $30 a month and should not matter how i use it. That being said i have cable and dont tether unless were out of town and wife wants to check fb on her laptop.

What would be better tethering to ur pc to download megaupload movie files or just downloadloading to ur phone then transferring to pc.... I dont see a difference for verizon in either options.

11. waaplc

waaplc New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I told the verizon sales rep at the store I needed to tether when I still had my Blackberry Curve, he responded that verizon did not support tethering, but that I could use a third party app to do it. So in order to convince me to buy a droid, to make the sale, verizon encourages third party apps for tethering.

When I had a Treo a couple of years ago I tethered w/ PDAnet frequently w/ no problem from verizon. Plus I bought my droid from a third party and will be out of contract in a few months. So they can't make me pay anything if they cancelled my contract.

12. mkzbdroid

mkzbdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha thats hilarious the day verizon stops taking my money and cancels me, I will THEN believe this. besides they are treading thin water anyway if everyone knows the deal with Comcast Fiasco with sandvine.....couple complaints to FCC can do a lot....comcast did turn me off one month lol so told them my lawyer will contact them....same with unlimited data!!! says unlimited to me, rep told me unlimited, till they turn my off my lawyer has a day off but when that day comes fat chance I get disconnected, and If I really do who cares, the most expensive carrier in the US dropped me OMG time to goto ATT I hear they getting a Samsung Galaxy XD

Search tags for this page
can i find out if my verizon account is hacked through vzam
easytether ipv6
easytether legal
easytether on dd-wrt
is easy tether legal
is easy tether safe

is easytether legal

is easytether safe

tether promo code android
tethering surf track sites